Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canadian Strategy and the 1970 FLQ crisis

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Canadian Strategy and the 1970 FLQ crisis

    Hi

    Hope this unknown episode to me, is of interest to others:-

    http://www.journal.forces.gc.ca/vo1/.../71-84-eng.pdf

    Regards

    Andy H

    PS: Not sure this is the 'best' forum for this article but please move if not.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." Churchill

    "I'm no reactionary.Christ on the Mountain! I'm as idealistic as Hell" Eisenhower

  • #2
    Originally posted by Andy H View Post
    Hi

    Hope this unknown episode to me, is of interest to others:-

    http://www.journal.forces.gc.ca/vo1/.../71-84-eng.pdf

    Regards

    Andy H

    PS: Not sure this is the 'best' forum for this article but please move if not.
    here is PM Trudeau's famous "Just Watch me" Interview during the FLQ crisis. Probably the most famous PM interview in history.

    Comment


    • #3
      The concluding paragraph of the article Andy posted on the FLQ Crisis quoting NDP leader Tommy Douglas "that the use of the War Measures Act was " like crushing a walnut with a sledgehammer" but the article concludes that the operation was ". More like crushing a mustard seed before it flourished"

      What do other people think here? Was the FLQ ever a serious danger to Canada? Could it have become an IRA? I'm inclined to think not but still support how the FLQ crisis was handled, As a kid I remember the letter bombs and the name "Royal Mail" on mailboxes having graffiti spray painted over it even in the more peaceful province of NB

      Comment


      • #4
        I was still in the service at this time, RCAF, and the powers that be on our base decided that at any moment a hoard of FLQ supporters world descend on
        flight line and hangers.....sooooo a bunch of us ,with small arms training, were designated as "defence force' and issued with FN,s and sent forth to defend democracy.....My post in all this hype was on top of a hanger with and M60......ah!! the good old days....

        From Cafe de Parc Colmar Alsace
        France...

        Comment


        • #5
          Remember hearing about the FLQ but we had the Angry Brigade letting off bombs over here about the same time and it sort of stole the news headlines. The office building I worked in was closed down twice because of telephoned bomb threats - turned out not to be the AB at all but a disgruntled ex employee. AIR revolutionary socialist groups were popping up all over the world at about the same time but most never came to very much in the long run - still killed some innocent people though
          Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
          Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

          Comment


          • #6
            The final version of the Canadian constitution, accepted in the early 1980s, opens with:
            “ Whereas Canada is founded upon principles that recognize the supremacy of God and the rule of law ... ”

            You can hear the supremacy of the idea of the rule of law in PM Trudeau's interview linked above. None of that "pursuit of happiness" for us! Everyone who was involved in the final draft of the constitution lived through the FLQ Crisis, I think it affected them deeply and it shows in this line.
            I was a kid at the time of the FLQ, but I remember my mother being horrified about what was happening. And the "Just watch me!" line 'went viral'.
            Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Roadkiller View Post
              The final version of the Canadian constitution, accepted in the early 1980s, opens with:
              Whereas Canada is founded upon principles that recognize the supremacy of God and the rule of law ...

              You can hear the supremacy of the idea of the rule of law in PM Trudeau's interview linked above. None of that "pursuit of happiness" for us! Everyone who was involved in the final draft of the constitution lived through the FLQ Crisis, I think it affected them deeply and it shows in this line.
              I was a kid at the time of the FLQ, but I remember my mother being horrified about what was happening. And the "Just watch me!" line 'went viral'.
              Yes, Pierre Burton's quote was "that the Americans will risk chaos for the sake of liberty while Canadians will risk liberty for the sake of order".

              Comment


              • #8
                By one of those coincidences I've just stumbled across the fact that the War Defence Act used to intern Quebecois people in 1970 was originally used in 1914 to intern rather different people! Never let it be said that Canada doesn't value tradition!
                Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
                Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by MarkV View Post
                  By one of those coincidences I've just stumbled across the fact that the War Defence Act used to intern Quebecois people in 1970 was originally used in 1914 to intern rather different people! Never let it be said that Canada doesn't value tradition!
                  Yes, The War Measures Act giving broad powers to the government to act during war or an insurrection was finally appealed and replaced by the Emergency Act in 1988.

                  Comment

                  Latest Topics

                  Collapse

                  • casanova
                    Berlin.1945
                    by casanova
                    The Sowjet T-34 tank against a German Tiger tank in Berlin in the II World War in 1945. ...
                    Yesterday, 23:41
                  • casanova
                    AW 169M
                    by casanova
                    The Austrian minister of defence Klaudia Tanner declared the buy of 18 Italian military helicopters of the type AW 169M for the Austrian army, the Bundesheer....
                    Yesterday, 23:26
                  • JBark
                    What changed?
                    by JBark
                    There was a time not too long ago when this forum was full of discussion, multiple posts, votes and involved discussions on the best of the war, etc.,...
                    Yesterday, 18:54
                  Working...
                  X