Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Use of special forces in support of police in response to a terrorist attack

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Use of special forces in support of police in response to a terrorist attack

    Just watching the BBC documentary on the recent Daesh attacks in Europe.
    In the discussion on the Paris attacks the head of France's GIGN anti terrorist unit stated that is unit was not called on despite there being 40 of them on standby in Paris at the time.

    The GIGN had been used a few months previously in support of the Belgian police in an anti terrorist operation in Brussels.

    Given the scale of recent terrorist attacks in Europe should the response to an attack be handled by military special forces or left to the police alone?
    "To be free is better than to be unfree - always."

  • #2
    Originally posted by Surrey View Post
    Just watching the BBC documentary on the recent Daesh attacks in Europe.
    In the discussion on the Paris attacks the head of France's GIGN anti terrorist unit stated that is unit was not called on despite there being 40 of them on standby in Paris at the time.

    The GIGN had been used a few months previously in support of the Belgian police in an anti terrorist operation in Brussels.

    Given the scale of recent terrorist attacks in Europe should the response to an attack be handled by military special forces or left to the police alone?
    I think that you should use any available force. Yeah SF aren't trained in police work but they can pull a trigger just fine.
    Credo quia absurdum.


    Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Bwaha View Post
      I think that you should use any available force. Yeah SF aren't trained in police work but they can pull a trigger just fine.
      But they can't be used in the USA. The most that can be deployed is National Guard.
      Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

      Comment


      • #4
        I think that it's dangerous to deploy SF on domestic soil. They train for a different mission and have a different mentality. If it gets to the point that we feel like we need our troops on our soil to protect us, then I'm quite certain we will have already lost of great deal of what we love about our country.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
          But they can't be used in the USA. The most that can be deployed is National Guard.
          And the National Guard only if they are called up by the State Governor and haven't been federalized.
          Trying hard to be the Man, that my Dog believes I am!

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Bwaha View Post
            I think that you should use any available force. Yeah SF aren't trained in police work but they can pull a trigger just fine.
            Yes, but they are two entirely different animals. SF guys would literally **** up a crime scene.
            My worst jump story:
            My 13th jump was on the 13th day of the month, aircraft number 013.
            As recorded on my DA Form 1307 Individual Jump Log.
            No lie.

            ~
            "Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
            -2 Commando Jumpmaster

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Biscuit View Post
              I think that it's dangerous to deploy SF on domestic soil. They train for a different mission and have a different mentality. If it gets to the point that we feel like we need our troops on our soil to protect us, then I'm quite certain we will have already lost of great deal of what we love about our country.
              It's not their mission and I can guarantee it is not one that they want.
              My worst jump story:
              My 13th jump was on the 13th day of the month, aircraft number 013.
              As recorded on my DA Form 1307 Individual Jump Log.
              No lie.

              ~
              "Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
              -2 Commando Jumpmaster

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by 101combatvet View Post
                It's not their mission and I can guarantee it is not one that they want.
                Agreed!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
                  But they can't be used in the USA. The most that can be deployed is National Guard.
                  Yeah but the subject is the european pansy states. Here we can call on each other rather than cowering while the state dithers...
                  Credo quia absurdum.


                  Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Bwaha View Post
                    Yeah but the subject is the european pansy states. Here we can call on each other rather than cowering while the state dithers...
                    Pansies eh ? Those well-known "pansies" ,the SAS have given"aid to the Civil Power"in the past and would continue to do so if requested, both in the UK and Australia.
                    Last edited by BELGRAVE; 26 Mar 16, 01:03.
                    "I dogmatise and am contradicted, and in this conflict of opinions and sentiments I find delight".
                    Samuel Johnson.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by BELGRAVE View Post
                      Pansies eh ? Those well-known "pansies" the SAS have given"aid to the Civil Power"in the past and would continue to do so if requested, both in the UK and Australia.
                      The SAS are useful bully-boys, that is true. They murdered many an Irishman who wanted nothing more than freedom from British rule.

                      Funny the variety of peoples who have had to struggle to throw off the Union Jack...
                      Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
                        The SAS are useful bully-boys, that is true. They murdered many an Irishman who wanted nothing more than freedom from British rule.

                        Funny the variety of peoples who have had to struggle to throw off the Union Jack...
                        Here we go again: talk about a one-track mind !

                        The topic ,sport, is the role of special forces in combatting terrorism, specifically that which sullies the name of Islam.

                        But at least you didn't support the "pansy " allegation so I suppose we should be grateful for that.
                        "I dogmatise and am contradicted, and in this conflict of opinions and sentiments I find delight".
                        Samuel Johnson.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by BELGRAVE View Post
                          Here we go again: talk about a one-track mind !

                          The topic ,sport, is the role of special forces in combatting terrorism, specifically that which sullies the name of Islam.

                          But at least you didn't support the "pansy " allegation so I suppose we should be grateful for that.
                          Its self-evident. Didn't the SAS' most famous action in recent years have them dying of exposure and surrendering to the Iraqis?

                          But back to the topic at had: the military has no business in domestic actions other than air space security.
                          Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            better to expand the police force than use the military.
                            you think you a real "bleep" solders you "bleep" plastic solders don't wory i will make you in to real "bleep" solders!! "bleep" plastic solders

                            CPO Mzinyati

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
                              Its self-evident. Didn't the SAS' most famous action in recent years have them dying of exposure and surrendering to the Iraqis?

                              But back to the topic at had: the military has no business in domestic actions other than air space security.
                              Yeah- whatever.

                              I disagree with your second statement . As long as the primacy of the Civil Power is acknowledged and the military is totally subservient operationally.
                              It might well be totally different in an American context though.You'd know about that.
                              "I dogmatise and am contradicted, and in this conflict of opinions and sentiments I find delight".
                              Samuel Johnson.

                              Comment

                              Latest Topics

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X