No announcement yet.

French Troops in Indian Republic Day Parade..... Regiment back after 232 years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• French Troops in Indian Republic Day Parade..... Regiment back after 232 years

French Troops in Indian Republic Day Parade
    Regiment back after 232 years

India Celebrates its republic day on 26th January by holding Military Parade. On this day we became Sovereign Republic.

We Generally invite dignitaries from all over the world. In 2015 we had President Barack Obama as Chief Guest.

French Dignitaries has graced us at least 5 Times.
    ( The Highest number Invited in our History)

Jacques Chirac,( Twice) President's Valéry Giscard d’Estaing, Nicholas Sarcozy. Now Francois Hollande.

In 2009 Indian Troops were Invited for Bastille Day celebrations in France.

Then French President Nicolas Sarkozy had invited former Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to be the chief guest at the Bastille Day celebrations.

Just like India's Republic Day celebrations, the French National Day - which is celebrated on 14 July - sees an impressive military parade

The Indian contingent of 400 personnel - comprising personnel from the army, the navy and the air force - marched 1.5 km - from the Arc de Triomphe to the presidential stand.

The contingent - led by jawans from the Maratha Light Infantry, one of India's oldest army regiments - marched to a 90-member Indian band.

First Time in our History a Foreign contingent took part in our parade.

This year French Army’s 35th Infantry Regiment, one of the oldest active regiments of France, made history as they lead the marching contingents of the parade,

http://blogs.wsj.com/indiarealtime/2...ic-day-parade/

French President Francois Hollande, who arrived in India on Sunday,was guest of honor for this year’s Republic Day parade.

Comment

French were very vital in our History in assisting us against British.

This Regiment the 35th Infantry Regiment of the French Army (35e regiment d'infanterie) has earlier served in India from 1781 to 1784 in as the 35 Aquitaine Regiment.

The Franco-Mysore alliance, it took part in the Second Anglo-Mysore War (1780-84), fought between the forces of the East India Company and the kingdom of Mysore under Hyder Ali and his son Tipu Sultan. The war ran parallel to the American Revolutionary War where the English were fighting their American colonies that were supported by the French.
      On June 25, 1783, the French tried to dislodge the British. At 3pm, the Aquitaine Regiment exchanged musket volleys with British and Indian troops and then conducted a bayonet charge. Facing this charge were Indian troops of the 24th Bengal Native Infantry and Madras Army. The charge was repulsed and the French withdrew with 450 men killed or wounded and 150 taken prisoners. Among those captured was Chevalier de Damas, who led the charge, and a young wounded soldier, Jean Baptiste de Bernadotte who later became a marshal in Napoleonic France and eventually became the king of Sweden.
      Interestingly this year saw former regiments took Park in the same parade.

61 cavalry was formed from former Mysore Lancers. They had fought against the British with French troops.

Another troops The Madras regiment which formed part of British troops had their band in this Parade.

61 Cavalry

Madras Regiment

2nd Anglo Mysore war.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/i...w/50734908.cms

Comment

Ça a une sacrée gueule !

Thanks for sharing!
        That rug really tied the room together

Comment

Originally posted by sebfrench76 View Post
          Ça a une sacrée gueule !

Thanks for sharing!
          You are welcome Sir,

Comment

Superb pictures. Apart from the French, were any other foreign units present ?
            "I dogmatise and am contradicted, and in this conflict of opinions and sentiments I find delight".
            Samuel Johnson.

Comment

vikram72 - The French didn't involve themselves so much at the time out of altruism for the Indian Independence issue, but to be a thorn in the British side and a diversion to what had been going on between them in Europe and around the world for a very long time.

In the case of the AWI they got involved because of the Napoleonic wars in Europe and the issue of Quebec. Hell, they even chucked Joan de/of Arc to the English wolves when it 'suited' them!

Comment

Boooooo!
                Bad ,naughty frenchies !!

Fortunately , you Citizens from the United Kingdom , you save the game.

Comment

Boooooo!
                  Bad ,naughty frenchies !!

Fortunately , you Citizens from the United Kingdom , you save the game.

Politics is mostly about self interest, my foray into my Family Tree has taught me that in spades! I have Viking and Norman ancestors that got up to all kinds of mischief that shaped Britain and France, and consequently much of the world. One of my ancestors was Roman Emperor 'Constantine 'The Great' [in fact I number quite a lot of Roman Emperors and Empresses amongst the 'family'] - I think the Romans were also involved in shaping both your country and mine. As the old joke goes, 'what did the Romans do for us?' One of my ancestors who became for a short while Emperor, before his brother Domitian poisoned him and knocked off most of the family, was legate of a legion in Judea, when his brother Vespasian left for Rome, he then took over all three legions there, and was there in 70AD and got stuck into levelling Jerusalem and the Great Temple, as reprisal for the Jewish rebellion. He and most of his family later became Christians, or sympathisers, and that is mainly why Domitian had them wiped out, that plus the fact he fancied his wife, Julia Flavius.

Even got ancestors who were in the Trojan Wars, one was Helen of Troy, and another was involved in the building of the city of Troy. Agamemnon is also a something times great grandfather.
                  Last edited by Wooden Wonder; 29 Jan 16, 05:42.

Comment

Me , my uncle has 3 balls.
                    That's all.

Comment

Me , my uncle has 3 balls.
                      That's all.
                      Was he a pawn broker?

Seriously though, if you can manage to trawl through your 'common man' ancestors you may well 'explode' into some very 'interesting' characters - including saints, martyrs, sinners and big time villians. My old tree has got the lot!

ps. Constantine's mother was St. Helena 'Of the True Cross', and her Emperor husband is buried 30-40 miles away from where I live, in what was then called Eboracum, the Vikings later called it Yorvik, and it is now known as York.

Comment

Originally posted by BELGRAVE View Post
                        Superb pictures. Apart from the French, were any other foreign units present ?
                        Thanks,

No French were the First one.

French were the First Foreign Power, who decided to teach Indian Soldiers the western methods. They were the first to raise first Indian Regiments on European style.

Joseph-François, Marquis Dupleix (1 January 1697 – 10 November 1763)

Joseph-François, Marquis Dupleix was governor general of the French establishment in India,
                        He was the first European in Modern Era to have raised first Indian Regiments on western style.

He attacked the British Possession in Madras with Indian Troops defeated British and captured Madras.

It made British ponder about possibility of using Indian mercenaries and one of British prisoners Robert Clive in fact laid the foundation of British Raj in India.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Clive

The battle of Madras

Last edited by vikram72; 01 Feb 16, 08:56.

Comment

Very nice!
                          The First Amendment applies to SMS, Emails, Blogs, online news, the Fourth applies to your cell phone, computer, and your car, but the Second only applies to muskets?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                          X