Australian Soldier awarded Victoria Cross

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Australian Soldier awarded Victoria Cross

AN AUSTRALIAN infantry soldier who repeatedly broke cover in a hail of Taliban gunfire and helped clear the way for the rescue of casualties has been awarded the nation's highest military honour, the Victoria Cross.

Corporal Daniel Keighran, 29, from Nambour in Queensland, had the medal pinned on his chest by the Governor-General at a ceremony in Canberra today attended by the Prime Minister, Opposition Leader, military top brass and other dignitaries.
    http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/new...08076952#index

Corporal Keighran's acts of the most conspicuous gallantry to repeatedly expose himself to accurate and intense enemy fire, thereby placing himself in grave danger, ultimately enabled the identification and suppression of enemy firing positions by both Australian and Afghan fire support elements.

These deliberate acts of exceptional courage in circumstances of great peril were instrumental in permitting the withdrawal of the combined Australian and Afghan patrol with no further casualties.

His valour is in keeping with the finest traditions of the Australian Army and the Australian Defence Force.
    From the citation available here: http://www.news.com.au/national/vict...08284739#index

A to you Corporal.
    You, the mothers, who sent their sons from faraway countries wipe away your tears; your sons are now lying in our bosom and are in peace, after having lost their lives on this land they have become our sons as well.

-- Ataturk

Good for him. I hope his family and friends are very prideful of him.
    "If you are right, then you are right even if everyone says you are wrong. If you are wrong then you are wrong even if everyone says you are right." William Penn.

Comment

-Matt
      SGT, 210th MP Battalion, 2nd MP BDE, MSSG

Fervently PRO-TRUMP, anti-Islam and anti-Steelers!

Comment

Well deserved Corporal Keighran !
        The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. Thomas Jefferson.

Comment

His valour is in keeping with the finest traditions of the Australian Army and the Australian Defence Force.
          Skip

Comment

Good on him.

The beer is on me if we ever meet.
            Matthew 5:9 Blessed are the cheesemakers

That's right bitches. I'm blessed!

Comment

I'm very glad he's still with us as well.

Comment

A courageous fellow, good on him!
                ------
                'I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it.' - Thomas Jefferson

If you have questions about the forum please check the FAQ/Rules

Comment

Gotta love the ANZAC's!

"The blade itself incites to deeds of violence".

Homer

BoRG

Comment

Well done mate!

Paul
                    ‘Tis said his form is tiny, yet
                    All human ills he can subdue,
                    Or with a bauble or medal
                    Can win mans heart for you;
                    And many a blessing know to stew
                    To make a megloamaniac bright;
                    Give honour to the dainty Corse,
                    The Pixie is a little shite.

Comment

To Cpl Keighran good job

Comment

Outstanding work Aussi.

Is that the same VC as the UK uses cut from the body of a Russian gun taken in the Crimea?
                        What would Occam say?

Comment

It seems not even the ones issued to the UK recipients are made of the gun metal. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...nmetal-VC.html

However, even if they were, there's no reason to believe that the Australian or other Commonwealth medals would be any different - I believe only one jeweller has the licence to produce/mint them - all the medals, regardless who they're issued to, as I understand it, are essentially the same basic medal.
                          ------
                          'I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it.' - Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Well on the one hand you really burst my bubble on that one. On the other hand I now have a REALLY interesting fact to talk about in the pub.

No doubt people will thank me for years to come when I say: "Actually I think you will find...."
                            What would Occam say?

Comment

Sadly, I am that guy in the pub who usually begins sentences like that...it must overflow into my ACG presence as well..hmm
                              ------

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X