US Targets Top al-Qaida Operatives in Iran

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US Targets Top al-Qaida Operatives in Iran

I thought this was interesting as it shows how complex the relationships between governments and trans-national groups has become.

Mana Rabiee
    October 20, 2012

In its announcement Thursday, the State Department said al-Fadhi uses his “extensive network of Kuwaiti jihadist donors” to send money and fighters via Turkey to support al-Qaida affiliated elements in Syria.
    http://www.voanews.com/content/us_ta...n/1530160.html

IOW he is actually working against Iranian interests in this case.
    Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.

Questions about our site? See the FAQ.

Aren't Iran and Al-Qaeda mortal enemies?
    Reaction to the 2016 Munich shootings:
    Europe: "We are shocked and support you in these harsh times, we stand by you."
    USA: "We will check people from Germany extra-hard and it is your own damn fault for being so stupid."

Comment

Originally posted by Acheron View Post
      Yes, but like in all countries al-Qaeda is operating secretly and against local law.

Comment

On paper, yes, but I wouldn't surprised if their was some secret backroom dealings there.

This has been disputed and I'm in no position to comment on it authoritatively, but the implications are there and I wouldn't be surprised if there was some level of co-operation due to mutual enemies.

War makes for strange bedfellows.
        You, the mothers, who sent their sons from faraway countries wipe away your tears; your sons are now lying in our bosom and are in peace, after having lost their lives on this land they have become our sons as well.

-- Ataturk

Comment

Didn't Al-Qaeda carry out terrorist bombings in Iran? Didn't Iran attack Taliban forces during the 2001 war in Afghanistan?
          USA: "We will check people from Germany extra-hard and it is your own damn fault for being so stupid."

Comment

Didn't Al-Qaeda carry out terrorist bombings in Iran? Didn't Iran attack Taliban forces during the 2001 war in Afghanistan?
            True, but their is some evidence that Iran has been aiding the Taliban in Afghanistan and assorted militias in Iraq (possibly Al-Qaeda insurgents as well by de facto). Iran's relationships with terrorists is hardly non-existent. Call it temporary alliance in pursuit of a common goal.
            You, the mothers, who sent their sons from faraway countries wipe away your tears; your sons are now lying in our bosom and are in peace, after having lost their lives on this land they have become our sons as well.

-- Ataturk

Comment

Didn't Al-Qaeda carry out terrorist bombings in Iran?
              Not that I recall. It's possible some of their members did and either Iran kept a lid on it or bin Laden worked deal with the mullahs. The articles says as much.
              Didn't Iran attack Taliban forces during the 2001 war in Afghanistan?
              Nothing significant. They did provide the US with a good bit of information on Taliban activities during the initial phase of operations there. In the last few years they have been working with Taliban leaders who operate near the Iranian border. Getting to know the new neighbors so to speak.

Comment

Originally posted by Crackshot View Post
                True, but their is some evidence that Iran has been aiding the Taliban in Afghanistan and assorted militias in Iraq (possibly Al-Qaeda insurgents as well by de facto). Iran's relationships with terrorists is hardly non-existent. Call it temporary alliance in pursuit of a common goal.
                I'd say a myriad of weapons and other gear that can be traced back to Iran is more than "some" evidence.
                A wild liberal appears! Conservative uses logical reasoning and empirical evidence! It's super effective! Wild liberal faints.

Comment

Originally posted by Destroyer25 View Post
                  I'd say a myriad of weapons and other gear that can be traced back to Iran is more than "some" evidence.
                  Well, I do underestimate at times.

-- Ataturk

Comment

Originally posted by Crackshot View Post
                    Iran's relationships with terrorists is hardly non-existent.
                    Well of course, they are pretty buddy-buddy with Hezbollah (or however you spell that). Catch is, Al-Qaeda is a religious-fanatics SUNNI terrorist group. Iran is a religious-fanatic SHIA theocracy. To these people, that is a big difference. As for Iran cooperation with Talibans, could it be that the Taliban in question are Shia? I would be surprised if Afghanistan was uniformly Sunni. I would be surprised if Afghanistan was uniformly anything.

I really think we should better differentiate between the various terrorist and other groups. There is a lot of bad blood between them that we tend to ignore because they hate us, though often not to the extend that they hate each other.

Comment

Well it's certainly a case of "the enemy of my enemy ...". I'd call it a marriage of convenience that is likely to evaporate the moment one party or the other decides it has a more important strategic opportunity to pursue.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                      X