An unwelcome milestone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An unwelcome milestone

.................................................. ...........................
    Not a number that figured on many analysis reports prior to the US/Allied intervention in Afghan

A checkpoint shooting in eastern Afghanistan has taken the US military's death toll in the war past 2,000.

A US soldier and contractor were killed while three Afghan soldiers died and several were injured.

The new deaths occurred on Saturday in Wardak province.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-19776402
    .................................................. .........................
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." Churchill

"I'm no reactionary.Christ on the Mountain! I'm as idealistic as Hell" Eisenhower

I wonder if the TV network news will give much time to this? I remember when the 2000 dead mark was reached in Iraq, it was somber tones and criticism of the President.
    "A common thug can kill someone, but it takes the talents of an intelligence service to make a murder appear to be a suicide or accident death." -- James Angleton, CIA, Chief of Counterintelligence.

Comment

Well the BBC are reporting the unwelcome milestone on all their news broadcasts and commenting on the irony that the 2000th. soldier to die was killed by an Afghan trainee.

Philip
      "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts."— Bertrand Russell

Comment

Originally posted by unclefred View Post
        I wonder if the TV network news will give much time to this? I remember when the 2000 dead mark was reached in Iraq, it was somber tones and criticism of the President.
        Hi

Well its getting reported on all the main news stations in the UK if that's any consolation.

Regards
        "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." Churchill

"I'm no reactionary.Christ on the Mountain! I'm as idealistic as Hell" Eisenhower

Comment

Originally posted by Andy H View Post
          Hi

Well its getting reported on all the main news stations in the UK if that's any consolation.

Regards
          I suspect it would. Here, I'm not so sure. I have seen it mentioned on blogs today. I don't generally watch TV news.
          "A common thug can kill someone, but it takes the talents of an intelligence service to make a murder appear to be a suicide or accident death." -- James Angleton, CIA, Chief of Counterintelligence.

Comment

About 75% of those dead have occurred since Obama became CIC!
            TANSTAAFL = There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch
            “War is merely the continuation of politics by other means” - von Clausewitz
            Present Current Events are the Future's History

Comment

Comment

R.I.P. There also seems to be confusion about the circumstances of the attack with ISAF saying that there was possibly a misunderstanding caused by gunfire elsewhere.

"The coalition initially said the incident may have been the result of an "insider attack" and another example of a member of the Afghan national security force turning on coalition troops in a war that began in 2001. But it later said that nearby insurgent gunfire may have led to a misunderstanding.

"The circumstances were somewhat confused ... There was a report of insurgent firing taking place in this incident which we believe may have been a factor," lieutenant general Adrian Bradshaw, deputy commander of the Nato-led coalition, said."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012...ghanistan-2000

Also from the BBC article posted by Andy

"Afghan war deaths
                2,000 US soldiers
                1,066 non-US coalition soldiers
                possibly 20,000 civilians
                10,000 members of Afghan security forces
                hundreds of private contractors
                unknown number of insurgents"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-19776402

I also wonder about the hundreds of private contractors. What numbers are we talking about here?
                "Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it"
                G.B Shaw

"They promised us homes fit for heroes, they give us heroes fit for homes."
                Grandad, Only Fools and Horses

Comment

You would think the contractors would tell someone that they lost a man. By hundreds it could be anywhere from 200 to 999, with a median of 599. Perhaps those lost aren't really who they say they are anyway. Hired guns from rough backgrounds and/or places. Another war, another paycheck protecting convoys in backwoods places.
                  The Europa Barbarorum II team [M2TW] needs YOUR HELP NOW HERE!

Comment

Quite an interesting story came out today. Neo-cons from a conservative think tank were apparently given unprecedented and unlawful access to classified info in Petaeus's office in Afghanistan advising him to push for the so-called surge after Obama won the election in 2008. An action that republicans later have used as an albatross around the president's neck. I've been suspicious of Petaeus all along and this report confirms those suspicions; that Petraeus; as a covert partisan republican operative, has used the surge to politically damage Obama. Oh yeah, over 2000 servicemen have died there. Hopefully this may help to explain why.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                    X