Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is it that keeps drawing great powers into Afghanistan?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is it that keeps drawing great powers into Afghanistan?

Just wondering?

. It's in the middle of nowhere.
    . Is heartbreakingly poor.
    . Has little in the way of resources and infrastructure.
    . You don't really have to go through it to deliver goods to somewhere else.
    . Invading it hardly ever works.
    . The 'natives' are infuriatingly uncooperative.
    . People who believe it (invading)has to be done or seemed like an idea at
    the time are listened to!
    . People who advise going there or sticking aound get re-elected!
    . People who advise against going or for getting out ASAP get ignored for
    years!

starnge days indeed. Most peculiar Mama.

Regards lodestar

Originally posted by lodestar View Post
    Just wondering?

years!

Regards lodestar
    Answer in three words "Location, Location, Location "

Atleast until the 1800s it was the only gateway to the Indian subcontinent by land. On one side were the barren, hostile and extreme terrains of Central Asia and the Middle east while on the opposite side were the temeperate, fertile and well watered river valleys of the Indian sub continent. Since ancient times settleres,raiders and invaders crossed the present day Afghanistan to settle the fertile river valleys of India. The Aryans, Huns, Greeks, Scythians, Parthians, Mongols, Turks, you name it.
    Those who controlled Afghanistan controlled the gateway to India.

To check these invasions ancient and medevial Indian rulers attempted to maintain military presence in East-central and Northern Afghanistan.

Similarly the border of the Persian and Indian empires of yore roughly met right in the middle of present day Afghanistan with the borders shifting constantly between the two right in the middle of Afghanistan.

The British when they colonised India regarded India as the jewel in the crown of the British Empire they felt that a real threat of a Russian invasion and annexation of India existed through Afghanistan. To preempt the Russian Empire from usurping this crown jewel they sent an invading force to Afghanistan to build military outposts and bases.

In more contemporary times Pakistan feels its narrow east -west width makes it vulnerable to be split in half by Indian Armored thrusts in the event of war. In addition all its airfields and strategic locations are within easy reach of Indian attack aircraft. So in order to gain strategic dept it tries to get Afghanistan under its umbrella of influence. When the Soviets tried to extend their influence in Afghanistan the Pakistanis felt their hold threatened and found the U.S as conven ient allies to drive off the soviets. Now when we are in Afghanistan(presumably in response to 911) the Pakistanis feel preempted by the U.S and the great game countinues.
    Pakistan also uses Afghanisatan as a launching pad for insurgencies and spreading the influence of Fundamentalist Islam in the relatively secular Post Soviet central Asian republic. Pakistan is an Islamic country and takkes its role as aguardian of Islam very seriously and using Islam as a strategic tool to spread it influence is a vital part of its foreign policy and who can better serve this purpose than the hardy, guntoting, Pashtuns who are the largest ethnic groups in Afgahnistan and whose lives revolve around a very fanatic and medevial interpretation of islam.
    Last edited by Slim; 02 Sep 12, 01:46.

Comment

Originally posted by lodestar View Post
      Just wondering?

years!

Regards lodestar
      Afghanistan …………HOW ABOUT THIS……..

The country has huge amounts of lithium copper, gold, coal, iron ore and other minerals
      Afghanistan generates about $10 bn per year from its mineral deposits...... Afghanistan has an average 2.9 billion barrels (bbl) of crude oil, 15.7 trillion cubic feet (440 bn m3) of natural gas and 562 million bbl of natural gas liquids In December 2011,
      Afghanistan signed an oil exploration contract with China National Petroleum Corporation (CNPC) for the development of three oil fields along the Amu Darya river in the north.

Government officials estimate that 30% of the country's untapped mineral deposits are worth between $900 bn and $3 trillion.

“Attack with aggression, but always have a plan of retreat”

Comment

Oh, you could ponder the same question about many geographic places on the planet. When I drive through parts of Arizona I can but wonder, "Why the heck did the government fight the Indians for THIS land?" Completely inhospitable, and desolate with the only good thing about it that not many people want to be there.

If Afghanistan had not played such a large role in 9/11 no foreign military would be there.
        "If you are right, then you are right even if everyone says you are wrong. If you are wrong then you are wrong even if everyone says you are right." William Penn.

Comment

There's a power vacuum and vacuums suck you in...
          In reality, if the 9/11 perpetrators weren't based there, we wouldn't be there. The British went there because they were trying to expand India and it happened to be next door. The Soviets went in to try to secure their southern border. The breakup of the Soviet Union was the best thing that could have happened to Russia. If all the -Stans were still internal, they'd make Chechnya look like child's play.
          Last edited by johns624; 02 Sep 12, 10:12.

Comment

Originally posted by Trailboss49 View Post
            Oh, you could ponder the same question about many geographic places on the planet. When I drive through parts of Arizona I can but wonder, "Why the heck did the government fight the Indians for THIS land?" Completely inhospitable, and desolate with the only good thing about it that not many people want to be there.

If Afghanistan had not played such a large role in 9/11 no foreign military would be there.

One could ponder a lot of reasons…. But large multi millions) corporations that control / influence government go where the money is (gold, coal, iron ore and other minerals)

Look at list of haves Libya Iraq wish list Iran not so lucky Syria N Korea

Comment

Originally posted by wellsfargo View Post

One could ponder a lot of reasons…. But large multi millions) corporations that control / influence government go where the money is (gold, coal, iron ore and other minerals)

Look at list of haves Libya Iraq wish list Iran not so lucky Syria N Korea

There are a lot of resources over there. An Afghan vet I know sid he felt like he was becoming a security guard for Chinese mining corporations...

Comment

Are any of those minerals actually being exploited, I thought nothing came out of there but opium?
                Lambert of Montaigu - Crusader.

Bolgios - Mercenary Game.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowygerry View Post
                  Are any of those minerals actually being exploited, I thought nothing came out of there but opium?
                  What he said. His point was he felt he was clearing the way to make it secure for Chinese comapnies to come in and get going.You should see the raw materails deals that the Chinese have done in parts of Africa.If it was the West doing ityou can bet certain people would be screaming Imperialism!! but I think it only applies to Caucasian people in their minds. There's huge amounts of copper and so forth I believe up towards the Chinese border areas I believe.

Comment

I must admit I never considered A'stan in *that* light, you think China could be the next one in then?
                    Lambert of Montaigu - Crusader.

Bolgios - Mercenary Game.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowygerry View Post
                      I must admit I never considered A'stan in *that* light, you think China could be the next one in then?
                      To get resources. I reckon it's likely...

Comment

Originally posted by wellsfargo View Post
                        Afghanistan …………HOW ABOUT THIS……..

The country has huge amounts of lithium copper, gold, coal, iron ore and other minerals
                        Afghanistan generates about $10 bn per year from its mineral deposits...... Afghanistan has an average 2.9 billion barrels (bbl) of crude oil, 15.7 trillion cubic feet (440 bn m3) of natural gas and 562 million bbl of natural gas liquids In December 2011,
                        Afghanistan signed an oil exploration contract with China National Petroleum Corporation (CNPC) for the development of three oil fields along the Amu Darya river in the north.

Government officials estimate that 30% of the country's untapped mineral deposits are worth between $900 bn and $3 trillion.

And the sad thing is that the Afghanis can't exploit their own resources.
                        ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

BLACK MOTORCYCLES MATTER!

Comment

Originally posted by copenhagen View Post
                          There are a lot of resources over there. An Afghan vet I know sid he felt like he was becoming a security guard for Chinese mining corporations...
                          Although it would inevitably lead to the "blood for oil" argument, I could at least understand our presence if these operations were US, UK and European owned. For our troops to die so Chinese companies can exploit Afghanistan is totally unacceptable.
                          ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

BLACK MOTORCYCLES MATTER!

Comment

The chicks. It's gotta be the chicks.
                            Matthew 5:9 Blessed are the cheesemakers

That's right bitches. I'm blessed!

Comment

Originally posted by Rojik View Post
                              The chicks. It's gotta be the chicks.

Yes sure if you are willing to convert to Islam and bring a formidable dowry, otherwise all you will see is figures covered with black hoods.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X