Rocket hits Dempsey's plane

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rocket hits Dempsey's plane

"BAGRAM: A rocket fired on a US airbase in Afghanistan early on Tuesday damaged the aircraft of America’s top military officer and wounded two maintenance crew, officers said.

Two rockets struck the vast Bagram air field overnight, with one causing damage to the C-17 used by General Martin Dempsey, chairman of the US Joint Chiefs of Staff, who departed the base later Tuesday using another plane.

The C-17 that was hit was parked on the runway along with an array of other aircraft.

Two American maintenance crew suffered minor injuries in the attack, officers said."

http://dawn.com/2012/08/21/afghan-ro...-chiefs-plane/

A lucky shot or what they were aiming for?
    "Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it"
    G.B Shaw

"They promised us homes fit for heroes, they give us heroes fit for homes."
    Grandad, Only Fools and Horses

A lucky shot. They aim for the general area of the airbase and run. These attacks are very common, but often hit nothing, not even inside the base. Now and then they have the 'Golden BB'
    Кто там?
    Это я - Почтальон Печкин!
    Tunis is a Carthigenian city!

Comment

As Stryker said - just taking pot-shots. Unfortunately, they don't always miss.

At least no-one was killed in this one.
      You, the mothers, who sent their sons from faraway countries wipe away your tears; your sons are now lying in our bosom and are in peace, after having lost their lives on this land they have become our sons as well.

-- Ataturk

Comment

That is the main thing - that no one was killed.
        "Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it"
        G.B Shaw

"They promised us homes fit for heroes, they give us heroes fit for homes."
        Grandad, Only Fools and Horses

Comment

It's hard to say if it were a lucky shot or well aimed as we don't knpow what kind of rocket was used. If it were an RPG, and they got close enough, then they hit what they aimed for. However, I doubt they knew that was the General's transport.

And the C-17 is a large target. I hope to see some today at Island Beach St Pk in NJ flying in to McGuire. Beautiful aircraft.
          ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

BLACK MOTORCYCLES MATTER!

Comment

Originally posted by Gixxer86g View Post
            It's hard to say if it were a lucky shot or well aimed as we don't knpow what kind of rocket was used. If it were an RPG, and they got close enough, then they hit what they aimed for. However, I doubt they knew that was the General's transport.

And the C-17 is a large target. I hope to see some today at Island Beach St Pk in NJ flying in to McGuire. Beautiful aircraft.
            It wasn't an RPG, they can't get close enough to Bagram to shoot into the ramps with RPGs. I'm not sure where on this forum or if they are still even online, but I posted some pictures of the airbase when my father was there in 2005, it was Im sure the same ballistic rocket they shoot in the general direction of the airbases on a weekly, or 2 times a week frequency in the summer. Often they are set to fire with makeshift delayed fuses so fire-finder radar just directs fire onto unmanned launch sites. My father told me out of the over 100 rockets fired at Bagram when he was there, 2 landed inside the base and only 1 detonated, but far away from anything.
            Кто там?

Comment

Originally posted by Stryker 19K30 View Post
              It wasn't an RPG, they can't get close enough to Bagram to shoot into the ramps with RPGs. I'm not sure where on this forum or if they are still even online, but I posted some pictures of the airbase when my father was there in 2005, it was Im sure the same ballistic rocket they shoot in the general direction of the airbases on a weekly, or 2 times a week frequency in the summer. Often they are set to fire with makeshift delayed fuses so fire-finder radar just directs fire onto unmanned launch sites. My father told me out of the over 100 rockets fired at Bagram when he was there, 2 landed inside the base and only 1 detonated, but far away from anything.

Thanks Josh. So we are looking at rockets similar to the type used by the Palestinians. Lucky shot.
              ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

BLACK MOTORCYCLES MATTER!

Comment

Wow a news report released after I posted that has added more details.

The two rockets were fired by remote timer, according to US military officials. The strike occurred shortly after midnight in Afghanistan, forcing Bagram Air Base into lock down mode for more than an hour.
                Base personnel were ordered into bunkers. Such attacks occur nearly every two weeks at the main air base used by US personnel serving in Afghanistan.
                http://www.foxnews.com/world/2012/08...est=latestnews

I need a job as an advisor or something.
                Кто там?

Comment

Base personnel were ordered into bunkers.
                  Two rockets on the base of that size? Most didn't even hear the impact. Somethings change others remain the same.
                  "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
                    Two rockets on the base of that size? Most didn't even hear the impact. Somethings change others remain the same.
                    This is a song about Kandahar, but I'm sure the SOPs are the same for everybody - airmen and Haji alike.

Кто там?

Comment

We were rocketed or mortared most every night in Balad. The CRAMS usually intercepted it. Sometimes they didn't, like the time a mortar hit just outside my office. But like Afghanistan, the locals weren't trying to intentionally kill us, it was just their form of protest. They intended to hit non populated areas, but because of poor quality control, the projectiles never hit consistently where they were intended.

Comment

Personally, I think it is good to see that Generals are not immune to these things. Our boys are in harms way, it is good to see the General out there in harms way with them. It is part of the job too.

Comment

Gosh, a general's plane got a couple of dings while he was literally a couple of miles away in a reinforced apartment sleeping. And this makes news?
                          "If you are right, then you are right even if everyone says you are wrong. If you are wrong then you are wrong even if everyone says you are right." William Penn.

Comment

From my owen experience from a long time ago the bigger the base the more over reaction. I won't bore you with war story's but those that have been there and done that know well what I'm talking about.
                            "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
                              From my owen experience from a long time ago the bigger the base the more over reaction. I won't bore you with war story's but those that have been there and done that know well what I'm talking about.
                              I always liked having to wear more battle rattle in some FOB or Camp than outside the wire in actual combat.
                              Кто там?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Karri
                                Prawn heads
                                by Karri
                                How do you cook them? How do you eat them?

So far I've always just twisted them off, and discarded it along with the shells and such, only...
                                Today, 11:40
                              • Jose50
                                Thoughts on the US abandoning NATO
                                by Jose50
                                Now may be a good time for the NATO countries to start beefing up their materiel, personnel and alliances. There is a decided wave here in the US that...
                                Today, 08:41
                              • Von Richter
                                Sagittarius Rising...
                                by Von Richter
                                Just having a re-read of this book after it's stood for donkey's years on the bookshelf. Once again, within the first couple of pages, I'm transported...
                                Today, 01:19
                              Working...
                              X