No announcement yet.

Muslim mob demand punishment for Down's syndrome Christian girl for blasphemy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Muslim mob demand punishment for Down's syndrome Christian girl for blasphemy

From: http://english.alarabiya.net/article...20/233212.html

Pakistan’s president on Monday called on officials to explain the arrest on blasphemy charges of a Christian girl with Down’s Syndrome who allegedly burnt pages inscribed with verses from the Quran.

There is a growing debate about religious intolerance in Pakistan, where strict anti-blasphemy laws make defaming Islam or desecrating the Quran punishable by death. Police said the girl, Rimsha, was arrested in a Christian slum of the capital last Thursday and remanded in custody for 14 days after a furious Muslim mob demanded she be punished.

A police official, speaking to AFP on condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the case, said the girl was in her teens. Activists say she is 11 years old. Some reports suggested the girl had been burning papers collected from the rubbish for cooking when someone entered her house and accused the family of burning pages inscribed with verses from the Quran.
    "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts."— Bertrand Russell

Where's a drone strike when you need it. It seems that this particular case is probably part of an ongoing campaign of harassment against Christians in that area. Religious minorities are heavily discriminated against in Pakistan. Religious bigotry at its finest.

"As communal tensions continued to rise, about 900 Christians living on the outskirts of Islamabad have been ordered to leave a neighbourhood where they have lived for almost two decades.

A few brave souls have stayed behind, but shopkeepers have refused to serve their Christian neighbours or supply them with water. Locals say only about 10% of families in the area are Christian, renting cramped houses from Muslim landlords. They tend to do dirty, menial jobs such as sewer maintenance.

Relations between the communities had been simmering for months after complaints were made about the noise coming from three churches in the area during religious services. Two of the landlords who owned the buildings had already ordered an end to worship and some services were forcibly broken up."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012...ng-allegations

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-19311098

The extent to which extremist ideology has taken root in Pakistan is terrifying and depressing. Realistically it may be generations before things improve, and things will not change for the better without a complete overhaul of the education system. Fingers crossed for this child, her family and community. Be nice to see the media grab hold of this in the way they did with the ***** Riot thing (though I will not hold my breath).
    "Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it"
    G.B Shaw

"They promised us homes fit for heroes, they give us heroes fit for homes."
    Grandad, Only Fools and Horses

Comment

Doesn't surprise me. How many 'honor killings' are not even investigated by the authorities?
      "If you are right, then you are right even if everyone says you are wrong. If you are wrong then you are wrong even if everyone says you are right." William Penn.

Comment

Yet another example of the average muslim as the extremist.
        ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

BLACK MOTORCYCLES MATTER!

Comment

Originally posted by Gixxer86g View Post
          Yet another example of the average muslim as the extremist.
          What? It's not fare that all Muslims get painted with the same brush. Yes, there are fanatics and then there are ones who love their neighbors, work hard and are pillars in our own nation.

Now, on to the treatment of this young girl - that is sickening and it brings both rage and feelings of despair when I read of such things. This whole world is going to crap!
          "War is hell, but actual combat is a motherf#cker"
          - Col. David Hackworth

Comment

If you go to a party and play music, this is what you get!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-19388869

Paul
            ‘Tis said his form is tiny, yet
            All human ills he can subdue,
            Or with a bauble or medal
            Can win mans heart for you;
            And many a blessing know to stew
            To make a megloamaniac bright;
            Give honour to the dainty Corse,
            The Pixie is a little shite.

Comment

Once again the religion of peace shows its true extremist nature. Mohammad would be appalled and ashamed at the degradation of the religion by fanatics wishing to live in the Dark Ages.

Comment

Originally posted by DeltaOne View Post
                What? It's not fare that all Muslims get painted with the same brush. Yes, there are fanatics and then there are ones who love their neighbors, work hard and are pillars in our own nation.

Now, on to the treatment of this young girl - that is sickening and it brings both rage and feelings of despair when I read of such things. This whole world is going to crap!
                When the so called "good muslims" take control of their religion and society I'll change my tune. It's up to them. I'm not holding my breath waiting.
                ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

BLACK MOTORCYCLES MATTER!

Comment

When the so called "good muslims" take control of their religion and society I'll change my tune. It's up to them. I'm not holding my breath waiting.
                  I bet that many people said the same thing about the 'Good Nazis' in the 20s and 30s.

Paul
                  ‘Tis said his form is tiny, yet
                  All human ills he can subdue,
                  Or with a bauble or medal
                  Can win mans heart for you;
                  And many a blessing know to stew
                  To make a megloamaniac bright;
                  Give honour to the dainty Corse,
                  The Pixie is a little shite.

Comment

After a good year, I'm starting to understand you're point her Gix. Though I do sincerely believe that this is not the way Islam was intended to be practiced, this radicalism is the reality and it is pretty disgraceful.
                    "I am the Lorax, and I'll yell and I'll shout for the fine things on earth that are on their way out!"

~Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

"The trouble with Scotland...is that it's full of Scots!"

Comment

Originally posted by Wellington95 View Post
                      After a good year, I'm starting to understand you're point her Gix. Though I do sincerely believe that this is not the way Islam was intended to be practiced, this radicalism is the reality and it is pretty disgraceful.
                      Not intended to be practiced this way?

Islam was founded in violence at its very beginning. It was only intended to be the 'Religion of Peace' for its believers.

Philip
                      "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts."— Bertrand Russell

Comment

''Ashrafi urged the government to take action to protect Christians in the poor Islamabad suburb of Mehrabad, where Rimsha lives, and encourage Christian families who fled in fear after the incident to return.

“This is inhuman that those who have nothing to do with the case or are not a party to it are also being harassed,” Ashrafi told AFP.

“It is just like the law of jungle that 500 people approached a police station and got a report forcibly lodged with the police.”

http://dawn.com/2012/08/28/pakistani...ge-2/#comments

''The All Pakistan Ulema Council, an umbrella group of Muslim clerics and scholars, which includes representatives from fundamentalist groups, joined hands with the Pakistan Interfaith League, which includes Christians, Sikhs and other religions, to call for justice for the girl, Rimsha, who is accused of blasphemy. They also demanded that those making false allegations be punished.

Tahir Ashrafi, the chairman of the council, warned that the "law of the jungle" was gripping Pakistan, with police routinely pressured by baying mobs to register blasphemy charges, as happened in the case of Rimsha, which has made headlines around the world''

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012...girl-blasphemy

ISLAMABAD: Islamic leaders in Pakistan have come out in support of a Christian girl with learning difficulties who is being held in prison, in an unprecedented public denunciation of the blasphemy law by hardline mullahs.

It is dangerous in Pakistan even to discuss blasphemy, which carries the death penalty. The law is frequently used to level false allegations in order to settle scores. The police and the courts are usually too afraid to investigate the validity of the claims, leading to convictions on hearsay.''

http://www.smh.com.au/world/islamic-...828-24yur.html

Is worth checking out some of the comments sent in by Pakistanis on The Dawn article. Of course would be better if the clerics in this instant were also calling for a complete end to the blasphemy law but it is a start.

Pakistan is looking at an effort over generations to tackle this issue.
                        "Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it"
                        G.B Shaw

Comment

Well, to be honest, how do some who are Catholic, etc. explain that during the two world wars, the clergy was blessing both sides in the war?? We have fanaticals everywhere.

How could a 'American' priest bless the troops to kill the Italian soldiers who were blessed earlier in the morning by their priest?

To me, even though I believe in God, I find all parties to be hypocritical.
                          "War is hell, but actual combat is a motherf#cker"
                          - Col. David Hackworth

Comment

"ISLAMABAD: The cleric who was arrested on Saturday over suspicion of planting evidence against a Christian girl accused of blasphemy was produced in court on Sunday under strict security arrangements as the hearing for the blasphemy case resumed, DawnNews reported."

http://dawn.com/2012/09/02/imam-held...lasphemy-case/

"The mullah at the centre of the furore surrounding a young Pakistani Christian girl facing a death sentence for blasphemy has been accused of deliberately framing her by planting burned Islamic texts"

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012...my-girl-framed

"Pakistani police have arrested an imam accused of planting burnt pages of the Koran in the bag of a Christian girl accused of blasphemy, officials say"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-19454739

"Pakistani police say authorities have arrested an imam who had accused a Christian girl of blasphemy.

Munir Jaffery, an investigating officer in the case, said on Sunday that Khalid Jadoon Chishti was arrested late on Saturday for allegedly having planted pages of a Quran in a shopping bag containing burned papers and ash that had been carried by the Christian girl."

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/asia/2...559111935.html

As suspected it all seems to have been part of a wider campaign of harassment and bigotry against Christians in the area.
                            G.B Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by PhilipLaos View Post
                              From: http://english.alarabiya.net/article...20/233212.html

Pakistan’s president on Monday called on officials to explain the arrest on blasphemy charges of a Christian girl with Down’s Syndrome who allegedly burnt pages inscribed with verses from the Quran.
                              Why is an accusation for blasphemy pressed on person that is one:
                              1. disabled, and we don;t know how responsible for her actions
                              2. not even Muslim. I understand if a Muslim burns whatever, this means that he/she knowingly commits blasphemy because he/she is commited to that relligion. To be blasphemous have to mean that you accept something, and then spit on it; if you don't accept it on the first place this means that you are not responsible for it.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X