No announcement yet.

Captured Palestinian Terrorist Options?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Captured Palestinian Terrorist Options?

Tell me what you think what should be done with Abbu Abbas, the Palestinian terrorist who was captured after attempting to flee to Syrian border (just another example of Syrians willing to harbor dangerous fugitives, go figure!)....

Dan
    Place him in US custody to await for US court
    25.93%
    Extradite him to Italy (five life terms in absentia)
    70.37%
    Free him due to Oslo Peace Accords
    3.70%
    Major James Holden, Georgia Badgers Militia of Rainbow Regiment, American Civil War

"Aim small, miss small."

I believe he should be turned over to Italy for him to serve out his sentence. Erakat should back off on Abbas. By invoking the Olso Accord on this, they risk the PLO being classified as a terrorists organization. The PLF is a offshoot of the PLO. Erakat should be doing all he can to distance himself from Abbas.

I understand the Olso Accord. I do believe the US doesn't have a case on this one. He actually told the Boston Globe that Klinghoffer "created troubles. He was handicapped, but he was inciting and provoking the other passengers. So, the decision was made to kill him."

I believe setting Abbas free would be a huge mistake. I don't know if the US should trial him. I do feel for the Klinghoffer's. However, he was never indicted here before Sept 13, 1993. He can go to Italy and die in their prison. If that's not possible, I do believe he should be held until a decision can be made on Olso. Setting him free, I don't care what Erakat feels, is out of the question.

The message Erakat should get from the US is "back off." I don't think they want the US to pull back from the Olso Agreement. I also don't believe they want the US to officially classify the PLO as a terrorists organization.
    "As soon as men decide that all means are permitted to fight an evil, then their good becomes indistinguishable from the evil that they set out to destroy."-Christopher Dawson - The Judgement of Nations, 1942

Comment

Hello,

I suspect there are many terrorist organizations inside Iraq which Saddam has given these a safe haven. However, Saddam does not allow them to act out on their own for fears they would bring on any country's wrath, hence the UN, onto Iraq.

My suspicions may turn out true, by freeing Iraq from Saddam's regime, one of the side effects may be freeing these terrorist organizations to once again act out against either America or Israel, worsening a problem.

Nonetheless, American military presence there in Iraq will alleviate some of this concern, the terrorist organizations may never be completely eliminated, all the more reasons to remain ever viligiant.

Abbu Abbas won't be the last one, I can guarantee you that one.

Dan
      Major James Holden, Georgia Badgers Militia of Rainbow Regiment, American Civil War

"Aim small, miss small."

Comment

I agree he should be extradited to Italy. I don't think its in the interests of the U.S. to get involved in this case.

Comment

I also recommend letting the Italians extradite him and try him in Italy. His crime was committed aboard the Lauro which was sovereign Italian territory.

Extradition will be desirable politically because it will divert much of the Palestinian fury away from Washington and promote the international cooperation in the war on terror.

"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a ugly brawl."
          --Frederick II, King of Prussia

Comment

I voted Italy also, it puts the whole mess in their hands.

_Tim
            "Have you forgotten the face of your father?"

Comment

Originally posted by Tim McBride
              I voted Italy also, it puts the whole mess in their hands.

_Tim
              That's not very friendly

Originally posted by MonsterZero

Extradition will be desirable politically because it will divert much of the Palestinian fury away from Washington and promote the international cooperation in the war on terror.
              I can't agree more. If I'm not mistaken, the Italians convicted the man before Sept 13, 1993. The PLO is trying to undermine this fact by claiming the arrest of Abbas was equally illegal under Olso. However, if he were convicted prior to 9/13/93, the US can justly argue the arrest occured as a continuation of the Italian convictions.

The US should turn Abbas over. If he is put on trial in America, the possibility of a death sentence is very possible. Based on Abbas own comments about the shooting, he should be charged with 1st Degree Murder. If the US Justice Department decide not to seek the death penalty, it will be seen by many in the legal community as a politically motivated decision. That would create a serious legal problem.

The Italians already have convictions against him. I doubt those will be overturned. Either way, the PLO should know we're not so stupid as to turn him over.

This is yet another example of Clinton's nearsighted foriegn policies. We wouldn't be having this discussion had Clinton considered the future as being more than the next ten minutes.
              "As soon as men decide that all means are permitted to fight an evil, then their good becomes indistinguishable from the evil that they set out to destroy."-Christopher Dawson - The Judgement of Nations, 1942

Comment

I may be completely ignorant here, but how & why would the Oslo Accord prevent Abbas's incarceration ?

I voted Italy also, but if the Oslo Accord pertains to the US arresting Abbas, does it not also pertain to Italy ?
                Scientists have announced they've discovered a cure for apathy. However no one has shown the slightest bit of interest !!

Comment

Personally I think that he should've been shot while trying to resist, or failing that been given a flying lesson by the troops that caught him. since niether of those options were taken, I'm content to send him to italy and let them pay to feed and house the bastard.
                  "Lord... forgive me my actions, speech and thoughts. Because, Lord, I am seriously going to kick some unrighteous ass in Your Name, Amen."
                  Princess of Wands by John Ringo (Jan 2006)

http://www.baen.com/chapters/W200601...9232.htm?blurb

Comment

Originally posted by Deltapooh

That's not very friendly
                    But it is good politics.

_Tim
                    "Have you forgotten the face of your father?"

Comment

Originally posted by tigersqn
                      I may be completely ignorant here, but how & why would the Oslo Accord prevent Abbas's incarceration ?

I voted Italy also, but if the Oslo Accord pertains to the US arresting Abbas, does it not also pertain to Italy ?
                      I don't believe it violates the oslo accords. Abbas has already been convicted. The Oslo accords say that no one can be tried for crimes committed before a certain date, but Abbas has already been tried and convicted so he is fair game.

I also don't believe extradition to Italy is a proper course of action since Italy will just let him go like they did the last time. You can't trust the Europeans to punish anyone. The guy who assassinated the Dutch politician Pim Fortuyn only got sentenced to 18 years in prison.

My vote is for bringing him to the U.S. and letting him spend the rest of his life in an Alaskan prison.
                      "Speaking here in my capacity as a polished, sophisticated European as well, it seems to me the laugh here is on the polished, sophisticated Europeans. They think Americans are fat, vulgar, greedy, stupid, ambitious and ignorant and so on. And they've taken as their own Michael Moore, as their representative American, someone who actually embodies all of those qualities." - Christopher Hitchens

Comment

The Oslo accord should be upheld. The way forward is through peacful democratic process. Not bending the rules yet again to suit others.

Comment

Originally posted by Marko
                          The Oslo accord should be upheld. The way forward is through peacful democratic process. Not bending the rules yet again to suit others.
                          Marko, we can't do that. Here, we have a terrorist in our custody. He has been already convicted of his crimes in absentia in Italy. To the news media, Abbu Abbas has admitted that he did order his guys to kill an American Jew, a handicapped person, and he was thrown overboard. It was a sickening crime. He cannot be let go free regardless of Oslo Peace accords.

It's easy to sign a peace treaty, but hard to actually enforce it. No matter what you think, Abbu Abbas one or another way is going to have to face the music. There is no way we will ever let go of him.

If Abbu Abbas had killed 3,000 people before Oslo Peace Accords were signed, would you have choosen to uphold the peace treaty? I don't think so. I certainly wouldn't have done that one.

Dan

"Aim small, miss small."

Comment

Originally posted by kid kool
                            My vote is for bringing him to the U.S. and letting him spend the rest of his life in an Alaskan prison.
                            Well at least you are willing to let him have a coat right?

Marko, the reason why most Americans here support sending Abbas to Italy is to preserve the Oslo Accord. Erakat's argument is that the US should not have arrested him. That would be for a court in the US to decide. Once Abbas is on US soil, he could be in more trouble. The smart move would be to Erakat to back off before his mouth get's him in alot of trouble. Abbas was convicted by the Italians for his crimes, and they should have a crack at him.

Erakat wants Abbas to be set free. As far as I'm concerned, that would be compromising National Security. If Bush complied, the political repercussions would be severe. Erakat needs to back off before he causes more trouble than he seeks to solve.

Comment

Originally posted by Deltapooh

Well at least you are willing to let him have a coat right?

Marko, the reason why most Americans here support sending Abbas to Italy is to preserve the Oslo Accord. Erakat's argument is that the US should not have arrested him. That would be for a court in the US to decide. Once Abbas is on US soil, he could be in more trouble. The smart move would be to Erakat to back off before his mouth get's him in alot of trouble. Abbas was convicted by the Italians for his crimes, and they should have a crack at him.

Erakat wants Abbas to be set free. As far as I'm concerned, that would be compromising National Security. If Bush complied, the political repercussions would be severe. Erakat needs to back off before he causes more trouble than he seeks to solve.
                              Well,

For me, I am dumbfounded by this latest Palestinian statement. Erakat insisted on Abbu Abbas' release.

If the Palestinians had any genuine wishes of a lasting peace, they would have jumped on a chance to denounce Abbu Abbas, and call on Italy to extradite him. But no, Erakat had to go out of way to denounce the USA, trying to use Oslo Peace Accords as a way to kee Abbu Abbas out of any serious trouble.

This only proves that Palestinians are continually miscalculating their political moves. I suppose to them, Abbu Abbas is a freedom fighter, despite his murder of an American Jew on an Italian ship.

Dan

"Aim small, miss small."

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X