Announcement

Collapse

New Site - PLEASE READ

Hello All,
My name is Ashley and I am the one that moved the forum to its new hosting location. This was done for security reasons and try to keep the forum from going down every other day. I understand that the new forum looks very different from the old one but I promise almost everything you had before you still have it might just be in a different place.

Items that are gone due to a limitation of the new hosting/ forum update:
- Awards
- Flags

As I was going thought your posts I was able to fix a lot fo the issues you were listing. Below is kind of a running list of issues an what is fixed and what I am still working on.

Items that I have fixed from your comments:
- Smilie are now working.
- Color/Theme changes
- Signature are now showing up. (Here is how to edit them https://screencast.com/t/OJHzzhiV1)
- Ranking is now showing up.
- Private messaging is now working.

Some issues I am still working on are:
- Missing items from the Calendar
- Like button the posts is giving an error.

If anyone has any issues that they are running in to please let me know. Please only send real issues not things like I hate the colors of the site or the site looks cheap now. I am trying to get as many issues fixed for you as i can and If i have to read through stuff like that it's going to take me longer to get stuff fixed.

If anyone has any issues that they are running in to please let me know in the post below. Please give me as much detail as possible .
https://forums.armchairgeneral.com/forum/world-history-group-welcomes-you/armchair-general-magazine/5034776-new-site-please-read
See more
See less

Thoughts on over-all Russian Performance

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on over-all Russian Performance

Ignoring for the moment the legal, moral, and strategic arguments, what have we learned about the tactical and operational capabilities of the Russian Army?

To kick things off, start with this - In Georgia, Russia saw its Army's shortcomings

I noted one or two minor errors but please add your comments.
    Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.

Questions about our site? See the FAQ.

Cell phones instead of Radio's -- No Night Vision -- Ineffective main armor - no intelligence to rely on -- a sad state of affairs for any military -- Russia has a lot of work to do and very limited facilities available to get the work done .
    I like Dogs far better than most People

As our Supply Sargent once said "If'n you only got one - order one - If'n you got Two - turn one in !! (???)

BoRG

Comment

Yes very true, the magnitude of the Russian victory is more due to the badness of the Geogian army, however it is also a testament to the fighting spirit of the Russian army to be able to succeed in spite of these shortcomings.

Comment

Sorry, Gary, I know you don't want to go immediately to strategic matters, but the projected six carriers sticks out like a sore thumb. Carriers are, of course, a power projection weapon. What target is Russia looking at that requires carriers? We have serious concerns about control of the straits through which oil passes and there carriers are a sensible answer. Russia as a sea power? Not particularly worried about it, but quite a strange way for a landpower to deal with what they percieve as threats from the Ukraine and China.
        "Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"

Comment

Originally posted by F4UCorsair View Post
          Sorry, Gary, I know you don't want to go immediately to strategic matters, but the projected six carriers sticks out like a sore thumb. Carriers are, of course, a power projection weapon. What target is Russia looking at that requires carriers? We have serious concerns about control of the straits through which oil passes and there carriers are a sensible answer. Russia as a sea power? Not particularly worried about it, but quite a strange way for a landpower to deal with what they percieve as threats from the Ukraine and China.
          Russia, if they are smart, doesn't want to get caught trying to catch the US in ALL areas - they need to focus on what works best for them. Defending 11 time zones is a monumental task - and doesn't need carriers. First priority has to be communication !! (sorry -- I'm a former 10th SFG communications guy) second is Intel capability -- third is land force improvement - all across the board - fourth is Air and last is Navy

I think they have their priorities misplaced - primarily due to wanting to "show the flag" more than wanting to project power.

As our Supply Sargent once said "If'n you only got one - order one - If'n you got Two - turn one in !! (???)

BoRG

Comment

Agree with Emil that good soldiers will find a way to get things done even with bad equipment. It should probably not be at all surprising that there were many problems with equipment and procedures. Aside from lack of funding and dependence on conscripts (fine for the 'big war', not so great when you what to look efficient) we forget that it has been a long time since Russia was in a shooting war. Lessons get lost, assumptions are made about how effective new weapons are.
            "Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"

Comment

Long? Not too long...1999. I agree on conscription, it is very bad, and creates many problems in the Russian army. However, they can't just cut it out immediately, they lowered the time to 1 year (from 2), but there is no serious legislation to completely get rid of conscription afaik.

Comment

One year of training isn't enough to teach anything of a specialized nature -- those guys won't even be any good as recall reserves when experienced people are needed. If they can't get enough volunteers - they damned sure shouldn't shorten compulsory service - they need to lengthen it.

BoRG

Comment

Too many people dodged the draft as it was, and a lot of people still dodge it. I think they can squeeze 2 years worth of training into 1 if they actually worked it out.

Comment

Originally posted by Emil_G View Post
                    Too many people dodged the draft as it was, and a lot of people still dodge it. I think they can squeeze 2 years worth of training into 1 if they actually worked it out.
                    Good luck with that -- All to familiar with the draft dogers - had plenty of those here in the US as well when we still had a draft -- disgusting !

BoRG

Comment

I don't blame them. No one should be forced to join the army.

Comment

I don't blame them. No one should be forced to join the army.
                        If there are sufficient volunteers for an "all volunteer military" that's fine - but when that isn't working out something more drastic is called for -- can't leave a country undefended because it's citizens lack patriotism.

BoRG

Comment

In the USSR conscription was mandatory because it was part of the conditioning of the citizens...

Comment

In the USSR conscription was mandatory because it was part of the conditioning of the citizens...
                            Has that carried over to the Federation ?

BoRG

Comment

Well they didn't abolish it, did they. However the present day needs of the Russian army are really more Andrey's domain. I don't really know.

Comment

Working...
                              X