Announcement

Collapse

New Site - PLEASE READ

Hello All,
My name is Ashley and I am the one that moved the forum to its new hosting location. This was done for security reasons and try to keep the forum from going down every other day. I understand that the new forum looks very different from the old one but I promise almost everything you had before you still have it might just be in a different place.

Items that are gone due to a limitation of the new hosting/ forum update:
- Awards
- Flags

As I was going thought your posts I was able to fix a lot fo the issues you were listing. Below is kind of a running list of issues an what is fixed and what I am still working on.

Items that I have fixed from your comments:
- Smilie are now working.
- Color/Theme changes
- Signature are now showing up. (Here is how to edit them https://screencast.com/t/OJHzzhiV1)
- Ranking is now showing up.
- Private messaging is now working.

Some issues I am still working on are:
- Missing items from the Calendar
- Like button the posts is giving an error.

One other note I have seen a lot is theme/color related items. I know this is important to all of you but at the moment the most important thing was getting you back a functioning forum with as many features I can get you back from before.

Theme/color is something we can change but it the moment I do not have the time and resources to fix all of the issue and design the site. I did do some theme updates yesterday but it is very time consuming. Please just be patient with the forum as we get it back to as close as I can to what you had before.

If anyone has any issues that they are running in to please let me know in the post below. Please give me as much detail as possible .
https://forums.armchairgeneral.com/forum/world-history-group-welcomes-you/armchair-general-magazine/5034776-new-site-please-read
See more
See less

Thoughts on over-all Russian Performance

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Emil_G View Post
    Long? Not too long...1999. I agree on conscription, it is very bad, and creates many problems in the Russian army. However, they can't just cut it out immediately, they lowered the time to 1 year (from 2), but there is no serious legislation to completely get rid of conscription afaik.
    Ah, yes, you are correct, of course, Emil. I forgot the more recent conflict. I was thinking back to Afghanistan.
    "Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"

Comment

Originally posted by Emil_G View Post
      Yes very true, the magnitude of the Russian victory is more due to the badness of the Geogian army, however it is also a testament to the fighting spirit of the Russian army to be able to succeed in spite of these shortcomings.
      I agree with this.
      Once the elite Russian paratrooper units made it there the Georgians got in a hurry. They was better equiped then the Regular 54th army.
      Still the soldiers of the RF preformed very good whit what they had, it was hordes of tanks the Geoegians faced but it was approximtley equal with a little moore to the Russians.
      The Russian tanks was older models like T-72 and T-62, The Georgians had improved T-72 and T-55.
      Russia lost, to my best sources 3 tanks, two of them was T-72.
      Georgia lost most of it´s tanks and many was captured by the Russian army togheter with a lot of other military equipment and weapons.

On potential interesting thing is with the Georgian AA system "Buk" , (SA-11 if I remember correctly).
      It is a very complex system that reaquares higher military education, I hear that it is somewhat unlikely that the Georgians have had time train people to that degree that these systems could have been operated in the way their ware, which have driven some to believe that they ware operated by Ukrainian crews.
      It was Ukraine that sold this equipment to Georgia in the begining.
      But it is just speculations.

On the drafting:
      http://www.russiatoday.com/news/news/31224
      Moore analyses.
      http://www.mnweekly.ru/comment/20080911/55345897.html
      http://forum.warfare.ru/special/
      “For there is nothing more serious than a lunatic when he comes to the central point of his lunacy.”

Max Sterner

Comment

Originally posted by Erkki View Post
        I agree with this.
        Once the elite Russian paratrooper units made it there the Georgians got in a hurry. They was better equiped then the Regular 54th army.
        Still the soldiers of the RF preformed very good whit what they had, it was hordes of tanks the Geoegians faced but it was approximtley equal with a little moore to the Russians.
        The Russian tanks was older models like T-72 and T-62, The Georgians had improved T-72 and T-55.
        Russia lost, to my best sources 3 tanks, two of them was T-72.
        Georgia lost most of it´s tanks and many was captured by the Russian army togheter with a lot of other military equipment and weapons.

On potential interesting thing is with the Georgian AA system "Buk" , (SA-11 if I remember correctly).
        It is a very complex system that reaquares higher military education, I hear that it is somewhat unlikely that the Georgians have had time train people to that degree that these systems could have been operated in the way their ware, which have driven some to believe that they ware operated by Ukrainian crews.
        It was Ukraine that sold this equipment to Georgia in the begining.
        But it is just speculations.

On the drafting:
        http://www.russiatoday.com/news/news/31224
        Moore analyses.
        http://www.mnweekly.ru/comment/20080911/55345897.html
        http://forum.warfare.ru/special/
        It is so only based on Russian sources. In fact there were no serious land engagements between Georgians and Russians at all. Georgian troops in the South Osetia were ordered to withdraw for the defence of Tbilisi as soon as Russian troops started to approach Georgian border to invade Georgia from other directions. Of course, the retreat in that mountinous type of terrain with absolute Russian control over the air could not be accomplished successfully. Georgians had to leave all the tanks, heavy armaments, ammunitions etc. Nevertheless none of their significant units were encircled and captured or wiped out.

The problem with Georgians that they were absolutely unprepared for the full-scale invasion from different directions and evidently supposeed that the hostilities would be restricted to the territory of the South Osetia.
        Last edited by Shamil; 12 Oct 08, 04:43.

Comment

Originally posted by Shamil View Post
          It is so only based on Russian sources.
          In fact there were no serious land engagements at all.
          It was, Russian peacekeeping units defending themselves ageist Georgian Troops.

Georgian troops in the South Osetia were ordered to withdraw for the defence of Tbilisi as soon as Russian troops started to approach Georgian border to invade Georgia from other directions.
          Source please'

Of course, the retreat in that Ossetian type of terrain with absolute Russian control over the air could not be accomplished successfully. Georgians had to leave all the tanks, heavy armaments, ammunitions etc. Nevertheless none of their significant units were encircled and captured or wiped out.
          And? If he Russian army had not stoped all of them would have been, a army without weapons are a bunch of POW waiting to be captured.
          “For there is nothing more serious than a lunatic when he comes to the central point of his lunacy.”

Max Sterner

Comment

I still think the Georgians walked straight into a "sucker punch" -- they did exactly what Russia wanted them to do and had prepared, well in advance, for Russia to counter.

It is difficult to imagine such a multi faceted and prompt response under any other circumstances.
            I like Dogs far better than most People

As our Supply Sargent once said "If'n you only got one - order one - If'n you got Two - turn one in !! (???)

BoRG

Comment

Originally posted by Kaiser Franz View Post
              I still think the Georgians walked straight into a "sucker punch" -- they did exactly what Russia wanted them to do and had prepared, well in advance, for Russia to counter.

It is difficult to imagine such a multi faceted and prompt response under any other circumstances.
              Have you heard about the 54th army commander?
              Why wasn´t the elite tanks division there and the VDV?
              Why was it necesary to relocate Spetsnaz units? it doesn´t cause to much attention to move them around and have them ready.

Max Sterner

Comment

Have you heard about the 54th army commander?
                Why wasn´t the elite tanks division there and the VDV?
                Why was it necesary to relocate Spetsnaz units? it doesn´t cause to much attention to move them around and have them ready.
                Are you asking about the 58th Army ?

As our Supply Sargent once said "If'n you only got one - order one - If'n you got Two - turn one in !! (???)

BoRG

Comment

Are you asking about the 58th Army ?
                  Ah damn! I hate numbers! I must be mixing it with T-54!
                  But you get my point anyway?

Max Sterner

Comment

Ah damn! I hate numbers! I must be mixing it with T-54!
                    But you get my point anyway?
                    Yep

The 58th had been on manuvers in the region since July - they were well prepared for the action. It may be that the Gerogian initiative was larger and more forceful than Russia anticipated in their pre-planing - don't have a clue. I do know that Russian "eyes on the ground" was weak but -- their response was well coordinated and rapid.

That just doesn't happen as quickly, without considerable advanced planing, as the Russians made it happen -- there is only one conclusion to draw -- sitting here on the sidelines.

A sohisticated battle plan had been prepared and they executed it well - with, ofcourse, some drawbacks -- equipment failure - communications breakdowns -- all the things you would expect in the "fog of war" .

BoRG

Comment

Yep

The 58th had been on manuvers in the region since July - they were well prepared for the action. It may be that the Gerogian initiative was larger and more forceful than Russia anticipated in their pre-planing - don't have a clue. I do know that Russian "eyes on the ground" was weak but -- their response was well coordinated and rapid.
                      I wouldn´t calling rushing in 1-2 tanks and some BMP with infantry and the Commander of the 58th army , that isn´t really like sending in the entire 58th.
                      The army was still getting their tanks ready when the commander roled away with his force to try and reveal the Peacekeepres.
                      The effecct on the Georgian army was a other, they thought they faced at least the entire 58th army, in the battles the Commander was wounded in the battle, he is considered a hero for his initative.

That just doesn't happen as quickly, without considerable advanced planing, as the Russians made it happen -- there is only one conclusion to draw -- sitting here on the sidelines.
                      How long would it take for the US to make a similiar thing if Canada invaded?
                      A sohisticated battle plan had been prepared and they executed it well - with, ofcourse, some drawbacks -- equipment failure - communications breakdowns -- all the things you would expect in the "fog of war" .
                      All countries have those, I even believe Sweden has on invading Finland.

Max Sterner

Comment

It was, Russian peacekeeping units defending themselves ageist Georgian Troops.
                        Russian "peace-keepers" had sided with Moscow's creature South Osetian regime long before the escalation and thus ceased to be any peace-keepers and turned into the occupants of the internarionally recognized part of Georgian territory.

I repeat there were no serious land warfare. In 1993 paramilitary Georgians units in Abkhazia without central command held out against superior regular Russian troops that were supported by Abhazians for months.

And? If he Russian army had not stoped all of them would have been, a army without weapons are a bunch of POW waiting to be captured.
                        Yeah, it is what Russian generals thought would happen when they sent their troops to Chechnya in the early 1990s.
                        Last edited by Shamil; 12 Oct 08, 05:51.

Comment

Russian "peace-keepers" had sided with Moscow's creature South Osetian regime long before the escalation and thus ceased to be any peace-keepers and turned into the occupants of the internarionally recognized part of Georgian territory.
                          Don´t start with that again, that is offtopic here don´t try your usual tricks or we end up arguing the space race too!
                          We are disscussing the prefomance of the army here, not who did what right or wrong.

Yeah, it is what Russian generals thought would happen when they sent their troops to Chechnya in the early 1990s.
                          I will not discuss Chechnya here.
                          Last edited by Erkki; 12 Oct 08, 05:53.

Max Sterner

Comment

And that is still off-topic, don´t try your usual tricks or we end up arguing the space race too!
                            It is much to the topic.

I will not discuss Chechnya here.
                            the situation would have been the same if the RF troops hadn't stopped.

Comment

It is much to the topic.
                              It is not, since we are disscussing the armys preformance, go argue politics somewhere else.

Max Sterner

Comment

the situation would have been the same if the RF troops hadn't stopped.
                                That is a what if scenario.

Max Sterner

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X