Announcement

Collapse

New Site - PLEASE READ

Hello All,
My name is Ashley and I am the one that moved the forum to its new hosting location. This was done for security reasons and try to keep the forum from going down every other day. I understand that the new forum looks very different from the old one but I promise almost everything you had before you still have it might just be in a different place.

Items that are gone due to a limitation of the new hosting/ forum update:
- Awards
- Flags

As I was going thought your posts I was able to fix a lot fo the issues you were listing. Below is kind of a running list of issues an what is fixed and what I am still working on.

Items that I have fixed from your comments:
- Smilie are now working.
- Color/Theme changes
- Signature are now showing up. (Here is how to edit them https://screencast.com/t/OJHzzhiV1)
- Ranking is now showing up.
- Private messaging is now working.

Some issues I am still working on are:
- Missing items from the Calendar
- Like button the posts is giving an error.

If anyone has any issues that they are running in to please let me know. Please only send real issues not things like I hate the colors of the site or the site looks cheap now. I am trying to get as many issues fixed for you as i can and If i have to read through stuff like that it's going to take me longer to get stuff fixed.

If anyone has any issues that they are running in to please let me know in the post below. Please give me as much detail as possible .
https://forums.armchairgeneral.com/forum/world-history-group-welcomes-you/armchair-general-magazine/5034776-new-site-please-read
See more
See less

Russian parliament recognized independence of SO and Abkhazia

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Russian parliament recognized independence of SO and Abkhazia

Russian parliament recognized independence of SO and Abkhazia
    http://www.russiatoday.com/news/news/29428

Ho hum. A rubber stamp parliament 'debating'. A fig leave to disguise an invasion, an occupation and an annexation.

Comment

A fig leave to disguise an invasion, an occupation and an annexation.
      Or, we can say this:

In its declaration of independence SO and Abkhazia committed itself to the highest standards of democracy, including freedom and tolerance and justice for citizens of all ethnic backgrounds. These are principles that honor human dignity, they are values Russia looks for in a friend, and soon we will establish full diplomatic relations with the new nation of South Ossetia and Adkhazia.

We will work with the leaders of South Ossetia and Adkhazia to carry out a smooth and peaceful transition to independence.

The independence of South Ossetia and Adkhazia is an historic step for the Caucas region. It presents an opportunity to move beyond the conflicts of the past and toward a future of freedom and stability and peace. The Russia must seize this opportunity to offer all the nations of this region the prospect of integration into the political, economic and security structure of the Russia. In this way, all the people of the Caucas will be able to see the promise of a better life for themselves and for their children.

(lookup the source of that speech)

Comment

Great! Now I guess Georgian refugees are allowed to return home and Russia will be recognising Kosovo's independence as well.

Comment

Originally posted by BrownBear View Post
          The Russia must seize this opportunity to offer all the nations of this region the prospect of integration into the political, economic and security structure of the Russia.
          To quote a movie... "I have a bad feeling about this."

Comment

Russia will be recognising Kosovo's independence
            They could, in exchange for everybody else recognizing SO and Abkhazia

Comment

BrownBear, I didn't realize international law was some petty market. However I am sure SO and Abkhazia could get recognition if they followed the same model Kosovo did - i.e. a cooling off period, allowing refugees to return, neutral peacekeepers and a referendum.

Comment

Originally posted by pp(est) View Post
                BrownBear, I didn't realize international law was some petty market. However I am sure SO and Abkhazia could get recognition if they followed the same model Kosovo did - i.e. a cooling off period, allowing refugees to return, neutral peacekeepers and a referendum.
                With Russia calling all of the shots?
                The First Amendment applies to SMS, Emails, Blogs, online news, the Fourth applies to your cell phone, computer, and your car, but the Second only applies to muskets?

Comment

Great! Now I guess Georgian refugees are allowed to return home and Russia will be recognising Kosovo's independence as well.
                  Figure the odds! Here is a map that shows Georgia's 19th Century borders; notice that SO and Abzakhia do not are not displayed as separate political entities.

Give me a fast ship and the wind at my back for I intend to sail in harms way! (John Paul Jones)

Initiated Chief Petty Officer
                  Hard core! Old School! Deal with it!

Comment

Originally posted by Hida Akechi View Post
                    With Russia calling all of the shots?
                    I guess I shouldn't hold my breath.

Comment

Here is a map that shows Georgia's 19th Century borders;
                      In 19th century all three of them were part of Russia. Georgia itself at that time was not a "separate political entities".

Comment

BrownBear, quite so, but since then Georgia won its freedom first for a very brief period in the aftermath of Russian revolution and then in more permanent way after the collapse of Soviet Union. What that map shows is that even within the Russian Empire, Abkhazia and South Ossetia were considered as parts of Georgia [within the Russian empire].

Again I would not mind having independent Abkhazia and SO at all, provided that they gain their independence through legitimate means. Otherwise every country could invade its neighbor, carve a piece of it, conduct some ethnic cleansing, set up a puppet regime and then declare that part independent only to join the conqueror a little while later.

Comment

even within the Russian Empire, Abkhazia and South Ossetia were considered as parts of Georgia
                          they were combined into one administrative part by Russian Empire

I would not mind having independent Abkhazia and SO at all, provided that they gain their independence through legitimate means
                          Should I say "shame on Georgia" for not doing it in last 16 years?

Comment

Originally posted by BrownBear View Post
                            Should I say "shame on Georgia" for not doing it in last 16 years?
                            Probably yes. I am. During Shevarnadze years they should have had enough pull with Russia to make Russia go along with it. Saakashvili obviously did not have that alternative as Russia has been opposing resolving the conflict.

Comment

Otherwise every country could invade its neighbor, carve a piece of it, conduct some ethnic cleansing, set up a puppet regime and then declare that part independent only to join the conqueror a little while later.
                              Well that's what almost happened in Bosnia in the 1990 and this could still happen with the declaration of independance of Republika Srpska.

Comment

Working...
                              X