No announcement yet.

No Killing Sheep in Courtyards: Moscow Readies Etiquette Guide for Foreigners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Killing Sheep in Courtyards: Moscow Readies Etiquette Guide for Foreigners

No Killing Sheep in Courtyards: Moscow Readies Etiquette Guide for Foreigners

Moscow authorities are preparing an etiquette handbook for foreigners that advises them to speak in Russian, not to walk around the city in national attire and to avoid slaughtering sheep in the courtyard of their apartment building.

City Hall is collaborating with diasporas and scientists to create the “Muscovite’s Code,” a list of nonbinding behavior guidelines to be presented to every foreigner who moves to Moscow.

“There are unwritten rules that residents of our city are obliged to follow, such as not slaughtering sheep in the backyard, not grilling shashliks on the balcony, not walking around the city in national attire, and speaking in Russian,” Mikhail Solomentsev, head of City Hall’s committee for interregional cooperation and national policy, told Rossiiskaya Gazeta.

“Now we want to develop a code to speed up the integration of migrants who take up permanent residency in Moscow,” Solomentsev said in an interview published Wednesday.

“We have asked Moscow diasporas themselves to draft the rules. We’ll study their suggestions and consult with scientists to create the ‘Muscovite’s Code,’ so to speak. When a person moves to Moscow, he will receive a book from his countrymen to tell him what is acceptable here and what is not,” he said.
    www.histours.ru

Siege of Leningrad battlefield tour

not grilling shashliks on the balcony
    Um, I think there are plenty of ethnic Russians that do this... and not just ones from the villages that move to the city.
    Кто там?
    Это я - Почтальон Печкин!
    Tunis is a Carthigenian city!

Comment

Would I be allowed to slaughter cows,pigs and chickens in my courtyard?
      ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

BLACK MOTORCYCLES MATTER!

Comment

Yea you are Gixx ..youre special lol
        ' Because it has Electrolytes ! '

regards:
        Henk

Comment

Originally posted by Heinrich View Post
          Yea you are Gixx ..youre special lol
          ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

Comment

not to walk around the city in national attire
            Is this a shot at muslims? I know the women in particular seem to keep up their dress code.
            "The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made."
            — Groucho Marx

Comment

“There are unwritten rules that residents of our city are obliged to follow, such as not slaughtering sheep in the backyard, not grilling shashliks on the balcony, not walking around the city in national attire, and speaking in Russian,” Mikhail Solomentsev, head of City Hall’s committee for interregional cooperation and national policy, told Rossiiskaya Gazeta.
              Good tip. If you refrain from such activities, can you qualify for a ribbon?

Comment

Originally posted by Catman View Post
                Is this a shot at muslims? I know the women in particular seem to keep up their dress code.
                Nah. Ukrainian Cossacks.

Though you might be surprised that Muslim isn't a nationality. And most Muslims in Russia aren't foreign and many of them are ethnically Russian and even wear the same clothes as everybody else!

The "national attire" they are talking about are traditional clothes of Uzbekistan, Kazakhstan, Turkmenistan, etc. which has less to do about religion and more to do about putting a target on your back.
                Кто там?

Comment

Originally posted by Stryker 19K30 View Post
                  I think there are plenty of ethnic Russians that do this
                  - no, no one does.

Comment

I wasn't sure. I know muslim isn't a nationality, however in muslim nations the women in particular do seem to share some similarities in dress. You know, like a burqa?

Didn't the French just address this very issue?
                    "The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made."
                    — Groucho Marx

Comment

I wasn't sure. I know muslim isn't a nationality, however in muslim nations the women in particular do seem to share some similarities in dress. You know, like a burqa?

Didn't the French just address this very issue?
                      Yeah, except Russia isn't France. You will be pretty hard pressed to find women walking around in burkas in Moscow or Petersburg or even Perm. It is specifically talking about the Middle Asians, if you even bothered to click on the link you would see a humorous picture that points just to that.
                      Кто там?

Comment

Originally posted by Stryker 19K30 View Post
                        Yeah, except Russia isn't France. You will be pretty hard pressed to find women walking around in burkas in Moscow or Petersburg or even Perm. It is specifically talking about the Middle Asians, if you even bothered to click on the link you would see a humorous picture that points just to that.
                        You're a bit testy on this subject.

In regards to the picture, we have people that dress like that in America. We call them hippies.
                        — Groucho Marx

Comment

In regards to the picture, we have people that dress like that in America. We call them hippies.
                          Hippies smoke pot ... these hippies play balalaika's amped on Vodka til 3.00am
                          ' Because it has Electrolytes ! '

regards:
                          Henk

Comment

I knew a lot of hippies,and none of them ever dressed like that.What nationality does that goofy oufit represent?I see a cheesy mix of sterotypical Polynesian and American Indian there.
                            Last edited by Gixxer86g; 22 Jun 10, 13:50.
                            ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

Comment

Originally posted by Gixxer86g View Post
                              I knew a lot of hippies,and none of them ever dressed like that.What nationality does that goofy oufit represent?I see a cheesy mix of sterotypical Polynesian and American Indian there.
                              This guy is just an urban freak. He took it further than hippies, what is probably a kind of achievement in its own right
                              www.histours.ru

Siege of Leningrad battlefield tour

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X