Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is sleeping outside in winter with just a greatcoat still part of Russian training?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is sleeping outside in winter with just a greatcoat still part of Russian training?

Is sleeping outside outside in winter with just a greatcoat still part of Russian army training? I have read many places that this was part of Soviet army training. My son and I always found this interesting - when he was little we used to play "Russian Army" on a snowy day - after 5 or 10 minutes that was enough.

- lol

Comment

Stalin - I'm not asking as a joke . I have read this in many english language books. Was this not a past practice? If it was, is it a practice now or was it stopped? Or. to ask the question differently, Did and/or do all Russian Army members have to sleep outside in their coat every year as part of their training.?

Answers from anyone would be appreciated. My agenda is simply I have always respected the toughness shown by Russian soldiers, and this always impressed me. I assure you this is not a weird question from an English speaker who does not speak Russian. It may be a stupid question, but that is part of my question, Stalin, just tell me why it is stupid, I have no problem at all with that.

Thanks

Comment

Comrade Stalin is not the best person to ask, like me he "ditched" military service (I am "politically unreliable" ).

Ill will check around and come back to you if not one of the Russians are faster then me
        “For there is nothing more serious than a lunatic when he comes to the central point of his lunacy.”

Max Sterner

Comment

Yes, comrade. Sleeping outside in -40 C, eating nails and drinking sulfur acid was everyday procedure in Red Army.

Comment

Originally posted by Xander View Post
            Yes, comrade. Sleeping outside in -40 C, eating nails and drinking sulfur acid was everyday procedure in Red Army.
            That's all? You lot need to harden up.
            Matthew 5:9 Blessed are the cheesemakers

That's right bitches. I'm blessed!

Comment

Originally posted by lakechampainer View Post
              I have read this in many english language books
              are you sure those were not comic books ?

Comment

Stalin, it might be a Rezun... He said among other things that Russians wasn´t told to not shot at red crosses.
                “For there is nothing more serious than a lunatic when he comes to the central point of his lunacy.”

Max Sterner

Comment

Originally posted by Erkki View Post
                  it might be a Rezun
                  anyway, we might have been given a clue about the source where these stories excusing the defeats of Napoleon and Hitler in Russia are coming from...

Comment

Aah, the glorious era where Soviet soldiers had the best training in the world. Sleeping in a snowstorm with a greatcoat, throwing sharpened shapes while doing a backflip down a 10ft drop, killing guard dogs by staring and penetrating T-34 armor plates with only one's prick.
                    Radio Paris Ment...
                    Radio Paris Ment...
                    Radio Paris est Allemand...

- Radio London opening intro

Comment

Originally posted by surfinbird View Post
                      Aah, the glorious era where Soviet soldiers had the best training in the world. Sleeping in a snowstorm with a greatcoat, throwing sharpened shapes while doing a backflip down a 10ft drop, killing guard dogs by staring and penetrating T-34 armor plates with only one's prick.
                      Um, yeah, whatever.

Look, the less baggage your troops can make do with, the more room your supply system has for things like gas and ammo. So, Red Army troopers dod not have sleeping bags and other gear that Western troopers would consider essential .
                      And the Greatcoat we are talking about is a serious coat, coming down past the knees and pretty darn thick.

Here's how you do it; a tarp that provides overhead cover is great, that and a small, shielded fire can keep the worst of the chill away. Not having a ground cloth is bad, but you can still get by with spreading whatever is handy, and you stil wake up a little damp and miserable, maybe with bugs as well.
                      But you stay warm by huddling up with the other men in your squad or platoon. Sleep on your sides back to front with the guys on either side, and the troops are generally too tired to shift much in their sleep. It's a miserable way to spend the night, but that's how it was done for thousands of years. It worked for my Platoon, left overnight in Grafenwoehr Germany with no shelter and gear in some deserted corner of that camp and forgotten there.

If you doubt me, go take a look at a BMP and show me where 10 full packs could have been stowed, inside or out. A pack large enough to keep a soldier in the field for a week by the standards you know.

Comment

You folks may have noticed plenty of photos of Red Army soldiers carrying blanket rolls over their shoulders as well as canteens and mess kits on their webbing. The could relay on more than just their great coats.
                        The Purist

Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assault of thoughts on the unthinking - John Maynard Keynes.

Comment

Originally posted by The Purist View Post
                          You folks may have noticed plenty of photos of Red Army soldiers carrying blanket rolls over their shoulders as well as canteens and mess kits on their webbing. The could relay on more than just their great coats.
                          WW2, right?
                          I heard that those blanket rolls were stuffed with several days rations, another old practice, similar to what the Confederate soldiers used at times.

Comment

Tony,

If one of those English Language was by Victor Suvorov, take it with a grain of salt. I enjoy the heck out of his stories, but he is even less reliable than Richard Marcinko.

Pruitt
                            Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
                              Tony,

If one of those English Language was by Victor Suvorov, take it with a grain of salt. I enjoy the heck out of his stories, but he is even less reliable than Richard Marcinko.

Pruitt
                              I have wondered about that. I had wondered if the book had been edited a certain way to sell, namely to warn of the threat of Soviet military power. It did come out, I think, in the early eighties, at the height of the Reagan defense buildup.

Thanks for the info.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X