This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ShAA View Post
    He is one of the worst performers the Earth has ever seen. This was even too much for the 90ies in Russia.
    90s. Nice to see free- if bad- speech is alive and well in Russia.
    Tactics are based on Weapons... Strategy on Movement... and Movement on Supply.
    (J. F. C. Fuller 1878-1966)

Comment

• Originally posted by VinceW View Post
      The father of Modern Russia,

http://video.google.ca/videoplay?doc...tin+eye&hL=en#

He's a Sociopathic piece of **** monster.
      Someone who is not on a 25kb/sec connection, is that video worth the bother?
      “For there is nothing more serious than a lunatic when he comes to the central point of his lunacy.”

Max Sterner

Comment

• Originally posted by General Staff View Post
        you'd have to give me a safe pass..before I ever get to Moscow or St Petersburg
        why would you need it ?

Comment

• Originally posted by Erkki View Post
          Someone who is not on a 25kb/sec connection, is that video worth the bother?
          Well, if you're a Knight of the Tinfoil Hat Order or have a special interest in the art of propaganda you should watch it
          www.histours.ru

Siege of Leningrad battlefield tour

Comment

• Originally posted by stalin View Post
            why would you need it ?
            Wild bears, mafia, Vladamir Vladimirovich's KGB Death Squads, corrupt police, and mutated white Cheburashkas.
            Кто там?
            Это я - Почтальон Печкин!
            Tunis is a Carthigenian city!

Comment

• Getting back to the OT, my impressions of Russia are:

1. Its really big;

2. Its really cold in the winter;

3. The people are the same as everywhere else - the majority are good, hard working and love their parents and children, while some folks are bad. Like most places, the bad ones get most of the press;

4. The cuisine isn't so great;

5. The vodka is excellent (seriously, people buy French vodka owned by a Puerto Rican company instead of Russian vodka??? - what are they thinking);

6. Either the athletes are tremendous, or the coaching is excellent, or both; and

7. Did I mention its really big and has cold weather

Comment

• A few responses:

Originally posted by The Ibis View Post
                The people are the same as everywhere else - the majority are good, hard working and love their parents and children, while some folks are bad. Like most places, the bad ones get most of the press;
                100% Spot on.

The cuisine isn't so great;
                This is a matter of taste obviously, if you are used to a certain type of food, with lots of spices, it takes some getting used to, but the really good dishes, are really good, especially the stuff from Middle Asia, and oddly enough, although Japanese, I think Sushi is better in Russia than anywhere else I have had it, including Japan. Though I see your point.

The vodka is excellent (seriously, people buy French vodka owned by a Puerto Rican company instead of Russian vodka??? - what are they thinking);
                The best IMHO is Juravli LINK, though not available in the US.

Either the athletes are tremendous, or the coaching is excellent, or both;
                True, this comes from a different system of grooming athletes, instead of going to high school/college with a sport as an extracurricular activity, if say someone is good at hockey - they generally are put in a school only for hockey players where that is the main focus from like age 11 up. I think kids can also start military officer training at around 11 or 12 as well.
                Кто там?

Comment

• Originally posted by Stryker 19K30 View Post
                  This is a matter of taste obviously, if you are used to a certain type of food, with lots of spices, it takes some getting used to, but the really good dishes, are really good, especially the stuff from Middle Asia, and oddly enough, although Japanese, I think Sushi is better in Russia than anywhere else I have had it, including Japan. Though I see your point.
                  You know, I should have figured on this. I have family from White Russia, and when I think of Russian cuisine, I think of borsht and stuff like that. I naively assumed all Russian food would be like that. I should have known better. Now I do. Thanks

As for sushi, as long as the chef is good, it really depends on the fish you like and the quality of the catch. I haven't been to Japan, but the sushi in Hawaii wasn't that much better than the sushi here. The sushi we made ouselves in Alaska was mighty good too.

The best IMHO is Juravli LINK, though not available in the US.
                  We need to work on that!

Comment

I think kids can also start military officer training at around 11 or 12 as well.
                    You can or could do this in the West too at 13- at least the British Army with the CCF- an unlucky number.

JC my conscripted service- once in you were there for the duration- from 13-18 still haunts me. I never made it past private due to serious disciplinary problems but me and my comrades could tell you a few tales...

It did teach me a good few lessons. How to canoe in cold water and roll over underwater, how to march, how to salute (I'm a leftie so took a bit), how to shoot (1898 Lee Enfield for individuals and Bren gun for windows- first class shot), and above all orienteering (map-reading).

These remain to this day the most useful skills I ever learned in the Military, apart from detesting discipline, knowing it was not a career option for me, a healthy disrespect for what I felt were the incompetents leading us aside from my Sergeant Major (some f*ing bastard but he seemed the only guy who knew what he was doing other than officers issuing orders where they certainly wouldn't be leading you where they wanted you), and the camaraderie of the lads enduring the same shared misery as yourself. But that's just my experience of the British Army.

The map-reading in particular has taken me all over the world, to places most never reach, at no $ cost but considerable pain on the day.
                    Tactics are based on Weapons... Strategy on Movement... and Movement on Supply.
                    (J. F. C. Fuller 1878-1966)

Comment

True, this comes from a different system of grooming athletes, instead of going to high school/college with a sport as an extracurricular activity, if say someone is good at hockey - they generally are put in a school only for hockey players where that is the main focus from like age 11 up. I think kids can also start military officer training at around 11 or 12 as well.
                      Yeah, now they start from the age of 10

http://spb-svu.nm.ru/priem.html

www.histours.ru

Siege of Leningrad battlefield tour

Comment

• Originally posted by ShAA View Post
                        Oh yes, and Bush=Hitler.
                        Pathetic strawman argument.

Whether Bush was as evil as Hitler,has no relevence to Putin being a sociopath scumbag.
                        Last edited by VinceW; 01 Feb 10, 18:56.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Ibis View Post
                          people buy French vodka owned by a Puerto Rican company instead of Russian vodka
                          - because it is those french drunkards who invented votka, not us russians.

Comment

• Originally posted by stalin View Post
                            - because it is those french drunkards who invented votka, not us russians.
                            The things you learn at Armchair General.... According to the ever-reliable Wiki:

Encyclopedia Britannica writes that Vodka originated in Russia during the 14th century, but exact origins of vodka cannot be traced definitively. It is believed to have originated in the grain-growing region that now embraces Poland, western Russia, Belarus, Lithuania, Ukraine. It also has a long tradition in Scandinavia.
                            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vodka

Still, if Wiki is right, it looks like you're not too far off. Wiki says that an ancestor of vodka derives from a wine-based liquor passed from Provence (not yet part of France, but I guess close enough) to Moscow through the Genoese:

A type of distilled liquor close to one that would later become generally designated by the Russian word vodka came to Russia in the late XIV century. In 1386 the Genoese ambassadors brought the first aqua vitae ("the living water") to Moscow and presented it to Grand Duke Dmitry Donskoy, who previously had defeated Tatar-Mongols and their Genoese mercenaries in the remarkable large-scale Battle of Kulikovo in 1380. The Genoese likely got this beverage with the help of the alchemists of Provance, who used the Arab-invented distillation apparatus to convert grape must into alcohol. Since Islam prohibited the drinking of any alcoholic bevarages for Arabs, they used alcohol mainly for the production of perfumes. In Christian Europe, however, the aqua vitae became the predecessor of all modern strong alcoholic bevarages, including brandy, cognak, wisky, schnaps and Russian vodka. The liquid that was got as a result of distillation of grape must was thought to be a concentrate and a "spirit" of wine (spiritus vini in Latin), from where came the name of this substance in many European languages (like English spirit, or Russian spirt).
                            Is this what you are referring to?

Comment

• Originally posted by VinceW View Post
                              Pathetic strawman argument.

Whether Bush was as evil as Hitler,has no relevence to Putin being a sociopath scumbag.
                              Hmm what is more pathetic, you not understanding the sarcasm of that post, or the fact you are calling some guy a sociopath based on some propaganda?

However, your post is correct in one essence, it is your impression of Russia as a foreigner. Vladimir Vladimirovich - greatest guy in history that makes flowers bloom when he passes? Certainly not. Vladimir Vladimirovich - eater of American and Polish babies with eyes set on rolling into the Baltic States for no reason and being proclaimed Supreme Soviet? Oh please.
                              Кто там?

Comment

• Post deleted for proscribed personal attack. Please see the FAQ for more info. This space is for discussing and learning about history and military affairs. Personal observations on the short comings of other members are not appropriate.

Thank you, ACG Staff
                                Last edited by GCoyote; 02 Feb 10, 08:46.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X