No announcement yet.

The Dictator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ive always thought of Putins rule in Russia in terms of a Theocracy...seems to be catching on in various parts of the World.

Quite a few examples of the 1930s echoing across the World right now, guess its how time works...not linear but cyclical..

How Putin got into power in the first place is a interesting read..

Recall the 'terrorist' attacks around Moscow prior to war breaking out in Georgia....one night a resident in an apartment block went into the carpark underneath where they lived and caught FSB agents planting explosives....

https://www.rferl.org/a/putin-russia.../30097551.html

....all good though...apparently a excercise involving bags of sugar...

You know what...you reap what you sow in this World....

Comment

Originally posted by Skoblin View Post

We are talking about the structural situation.
      Oh yes, me too, and I'm remarking that Merkel did not need to change the structure. The constitutional structure. Putin did need that, and did choose to do that. That might be considered unimportant by you, of course. Others might disagree.

Michele

Comment

Originally posted by Michele View Post

Oh yes, me too, and I'm remarking that Merkel did not need to change the structure. The constitutional structure. Putin did need that, and did choose to do that. That might be considered unimportant by you, of course. Others might disagree.
        And he submitted that structural change to the electorate to approve or reject. That might be considered unimportant by you, of course. Others might disagree.

Comment

It's not unusual for a dictator to legitimize his rule by plebiscite, in fact it's common practice.
          Lambert of Montaigu - Crusader.

Bolgios - Mercenary Game.

Comment

Originally posted by Galland View Post
            Recall the 'terrorist' attacks around Moscow prior to war breaking out in Georgia....
            1) Find out the difference between Chechnya and Georgia for a start.
            2) US-sponsored propaganda outlet "Radio Liberty" outlet tells the "version" constructed by runaway oligarch Boris Berezovsky and his proxies who a had a sort of not-so-hidden agenda.
            3) Islamist terrorists committed dozens of terrorist attacks in various places of Russia, so their involvement in terrorist activity is beyond any doubt.
            4) In general that's a sort of analogue of 9/11 conspiracy theories.

Comment

no doubt there were legitimate terrorist attacks.....by Islamist based terror groups.....if my post came across as being dismissive of this fact my apologies..

Hard to cover up being caught in the act however; the offical line of what they "were'" actually doing...with bags of sugar...defies all belief. Average Russian citizen would choke on their vodka before swallowing that...

I dont know how complicit the US Govt was/wasnt in 9/11....soemone high up knew....but no-one has been brought to justice yet nor credible evidence of such..

But Govts man.....i would put nothing past any of them....they dont serve you and me..

Comment

Originally posted by Snowygerry View Post
                It's not unusual for a dictator to legitimize his rule by plebiscite, in fact it's common practice.
                Putin just does it regularly – while ensuring he wins by fixing the election laws, gerrymandering, picking-off potential actual challengers (even in small ways) by pre-election engineering to disqualify them on technical legal grounds.

All of which he can of course do, because in Russia the legislative body is hostage and subservient to the executive power, and even more importantly so is the judiciary. There is no working division of power in the Russian political system.

It also means – and is generally understood – that the Russian constitution isn't actually valid. What matters is what the Russian government says.

And Orban in Hungary has succeeded in pretty-well "Putinify" the Hungarian political system into a similar-working system by now. Poland is in the balance. Bad as all that is, the true EU nightmare would be for Italy to start slipping down that particular rabbit-hole.

Orban's achievement is impressive because he has managed to find a mechanism to nerf the judiciary, bring it under the direct influence of the executive government, despite Hungary having a constitution modelled on the German, which is specifically designed to as much as possible steel-plate the constitutional division of powers against precisely that kind of hostile overtakes (for reasons of the experience of the 1930's obviously). Which means if that can be done in Hungary, it can be done anywhere. That alone ensure that the right-wing populists that are out to make themselves the grave-diggers of democracy are looking to Hungary and Orban as their great inspiration.

Comment

Originally posted by Johan Banér View Post
                  And Orban in Hungary has succeeded in pretty-well "Putinify" the Hungarian political system into a similar-working system by now. Poland is in the balance. Bad as all that is, the true EU nightmare would be for Italy to start slipping down that particular rabbit-hole.
                  Here in Belgium we've always got our eyes on the Germans and the French of course,
                  but I see the point, yes.

Putin just does it regularly – while ensuring he wins by fixing the election laws, gerrymandering, picking-off potential actual challengers (even in small ways) by pre-election engineering to disqualify them on technical legal grounds.

All of which he can of course do, because in Russia the legislative body is hostage and subservient to the executive power, and even more importantly so is the judiciary. There is no working division of power in the Russian political system.

It also means – and is generally understood – that the Russian constitution isn't actually valid. What matters is what the Russian government says.
                  Well the parliament may not amount to much, the Russian general public is not to be underestimated - Putin knows all to well what happens when a Russian government gets on the bad side of its own population,

...and how quickly it happens

And all things considered Putin is far from the least rational of all the clowns that populate the stage of international politics atm.
                  Last edited by Snowygerry; 07 Jul 20, 05:26.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowygerry View Post
                    Well the parliament may not amount to much, the Russian general public is not to be underestimated - Putin knows all to well what happens when a Russian government gets on the bad side of its own population,

...and how quickly it happens
                    Well, how quickly it might happen...

By now Putin has about 1,6 million men in various forms of police and security forces, including the brand new 350k strong National Guard directly under the president himself. He would seem to be making contingency plans.

Comment

• Still he also seems careful, never overstepping the bounds of his own public opinion, indeed he seems to follow it rather than lead imho.

Not the method of a typical "dictator"...

Comment

• Originally posted by Snowygerry View Post
                        Still he also seems careful, never overstepping the bounds of his own public opinion, indeed he seems to follow it rather than lead imho.

Not the method of a typical "dictator"...
                        Well, I think every credible commentator on Russian politics I have seen is that Putin is engaged in a fairly delicate balancing game.

But so was fx Mussolini. All it really means is that authoritarian mileage will vary. Putin isn't necessarily all that internally powerful an authoritarian leader, not least because he has to keep a lot of different, competing groups in the power-structure happy, but he still is one.

But the Russian official political processes are still a sham as a consequence, and everyone really is aware. And Russia is still captive to a kind of political order based on political power not residing in the formal institutions, and largely designed to redistribute wealth and goods as a function of power, rather than serve the Russian public.

Comment

• V.V.Putin in 2005:
                          I believe that the main element in strengthening of Russian nationhood is stability. Stability in the state and society cannot be secured by other way than stability of laws and the Constitution as the main law of the state. That is why under no circumstances I intend to change the Constitution.

Comment

• The question can be asked if a large nation state like the RF (or indeed the USA) will not inevitably end up with some form of authoritarean government, how else can it be kept united and not fall apart into its seperate components ?

Comment

• Originally posted by Snowygerry View Post
                              The question can be asked if a large nation state like the RF (or indeed the USA) will not inevitably end up with some form of authoritarean government, how else can it be kept united and not fall apart into its seperate components ?
                              Federalism, the actual kind.

Comment

• Originally posted by Johan Banér View Post
                                Federalism, the actual kind.
                                Or a "union" of independent states, dare I say .... EU

Logging off now.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X