First McDonald's in Moscow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First McDonald's in Moscow

Here are some amazing pics of the first McDonald's grand opening in Moscow. One Big Mac cost the equivalent of a monthly bus/metro pass back in 1990.

On January 31, 1990, the first Soviet McDonald’s opened in Moscow. The first McDonald’s ever in Soviet Union.

“I still remember how insanely huge the milkshake looked and I didn’t know how to hold a Big Mac with my tiny hands”.

A plan first envisioned when George Cohon, founder and CEO of McDonald’s Canada, met Soviet officials at the ’76 Summer Olympics in Montreal.

“I’m particularly proud of the people story behind the first opening, both from Canada and Russia, learning from each other and working as one team”.

The opening drew many important people.

Huge crowd lined up outside the first McDonald’s in Moscow.

An old lady enjoyed her burger.

In total, over 30,000 customers passed through the doors on the opening day of the restaurant.

https://rarehistoricalphotos.com/fir...et-union-1990/
    You’re free to share our blog or our articles, please provide a link to our website or to that specific article. By doing that, you appreciate our hard work and we will feel encouraged. If you have any questions or comments or if there’s any factual mistake on the articles, please send us your suggestions. If you find any grammatical/typo errors, you’re welcome to point them out.

"Stand for the flag ~ Kneel for the fallen"

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." ~ Bruce Lee

I remember when this happened. There were stories that McDonald's had to start from scratch on infrastructure to support the restaurant. They couldn't find companies in the Soviet Union that could grow their potatoes, make their bread, butcher the meat properly, etc., that met the corporate standards, so they built a bakery, trained selected farmers, built a meat packing plant, you-name-it, just so the food served would be the same as anywhere else from McDonald's.
    Then they had to select and train the staff. They had thousands apply as the wages were much better than most jobs in Moscow at the time. But, the new staff had to be trained to be nice to customers, smile, and be friendly. I took it that this was something completely foreign in the Soviet Union at the time.

There were people who travelled the Trans-Siberian railroad for more than a week just to eat at that restaurant and they'd often bring a cooler full of more home with them.

Comment

Ah...the lofty achievements of America! We probably could have ended the Cold War decades earlier just by dropping thousands of Big Macs from our B-52's.
      Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
        Ah...the lofty achievements of America! We probably could have ended the Cold War decades earlier just by dropping thousands of Big Macs from our B-52's.
        That would have been a war crime of the highest order. Nukes would have been kinder.
        Matthew 5:9 Blessed are the cheesemakers

That's right bitches. I'm blessed!

Comment

Originally posted by Rojik View Post

That would have been a war crime of the highest order. Nukes would have been kinder.
          War is hell...want fries with that?
          Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

America has the art of making c*** fashionable.
            There are no Nazis in Ukraine. © Idiots

Comment

Originally posted by Rojik View Post

Brilliant, Man....
              The trout who swims against the current gets the most oxygen..

Comment

Wacarnolds according to Dave Chappele.

http://www.cc.com/video-clips/czvwdf...s---uncensored

Im not a McDonalds Fan But its a great thing nonetheless to learn about the OP. And the pictures were beautiful.

On a smaller scale when Chic Filet opened in Buffalo...it was the most massive line I ever saw at a fast food place. It was not lines for miles but the entire store was jam packed and the drive through line maybe went for a quarter of a mile... They must of had 40 employees working at the store...I have never seen a fast food operation that busy. It was just like the pics from the USSR...tons of American parents bringing their kids to Chic Filet for that fast food.
                Long live the Lionheart! Please watch this video
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=jRDwlR4zbEM
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3DBaY0RsxU
                Accept the challenges so that you can feel the exhilaration of victory.

George S Patton

Comment

I had to flee Hurricane Rita and it took hours to drive East off of I-10. I drove as far as I could on HWY 90 and finally was forced onto I-10. We were starving and we saw the first open eating place in Rayne. We walked in and the place was packed! It was a McDonalds! It took forever to get to the counter and I saw a sign saying we had to order as is, no special orders! I got the order and we ate in the car. I got back in the car and we got back on Hwy 90 and drove to my Brother's house in Scott. I think Mickey D's is acceptable but prefer to eat other places. I will amend that by saying I will eat breakfast there. If you get the Bacon Egg and Cheese Biscuit and a couple of hot Hash Browns, it can actually be pretty good! The place has gone downhill since they changed the cooking oil for the French Fries in the 70's.

Pruitt
                  Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

If you are going to eat while driving (not recommended but it happens), Micky's Quarter Pounder with cheese is the perfect burger for it. It is a nicely congealed mass that doesn't leak, drip, or get messy. You can hold it with one hand easily and never worry about it coming apart like a $5 suit in the rain like many burgers do.

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
                      If you are going to eat while driving (not recommended but it happens), Micky's Quarter Pounder with cheese is the perfect burger for it. It is a nicely congealed mass that doesn't leak, drip, or get messy. You can hold it with one hand easily and never worry about it coming apart like a $5 suit in the rain like many burgers do.
                      Nope. It still leaks. Egg MacMuffin and Sausage MacMuffin are the only things they do sandwiched between bread that do no leak, fall apart, or leave all kinds of crumbs and kibbles all over you lap, seat, and carpet when driving. Eating fries from M will get you car all dirty when dirt sticks to the oil you leave on the steering wheel and any shift or control knobs, buttons, dials, slides, etc.....
                      Last edited by Salinator; 31 Jan 20, 20:19.
                      Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

Originally posted by Salinator View Post

Nope. It still leaks. Egg MacMuffin and Sausage MacMuffin is the only things they do sandwiched between bread that do no leak, fall apart, or leave all kinds of crumbs and kibbles all over you lap, seat, and carpet when driving. Eating fries from M will get you car all dirty when dirt sticks to the oil you leave on the steering wheel and any shift or control knobs, buttons, dials, slides, etc.....
                        "the "Saladinator"
                        The trout who swims against the current gets the most oxygen..

Comment

Originally posted by marktwain View Post

"the "Saladinator"
                          Say what?

Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

Originally posted by Persephone View Post
                            Here are some amazing pics of the first McDonald's grand opening in Moscow. One Big Mac cost the equivalent of a monthly bus/metro pass back in 1990.

On January 31, 1990, the first Soviet McDonald’s opened in Moscow. The first McDonald’s ever in Soviet Union.

“I still remember how insanely huge the milkshake looked and I didn’t know how to hold a Big Mac with my tiny hands”.

A plan first envisioned when George Cohon, founder and CEO of McDonald’s Canada, met Soviet officials at the ’76 Summer Olympics in Montreal.

“I’m particularly proud of the people story behind the first opening, both from Canada and Russia, learning from each other and working as one team”.

The opening drew many important people.

Huge crowd lined up outside the first McDonald’s in Moscow.

An old lady enjoyed her burger.

In total, over 30,000 customers passed through the doors on the opening day of the restaurant.

https://rarehistoricalphotos.com/fir...et-union-1990/
                            You’re free to share our blog or our articles, please provide a link to our website or to that specific article. By doing that, you appreciate our hard work and we will feel encouraged. If you have any questions or comments or if there’s any factual mistake on the articles, please send us your suggestions. If you find any grammatical/typo errors, you’re welcome to point them out.
                            I had a chance to talk with a team of Harvard professors who had traveled to Russia at that time. They observed that the Russian food supply chain could not support the standard MacDonald fare. They had to collect their own cattle for the beef, obtain gardens for tomatoes and lettuce, and establish a delivery to the Moscow MacDonald.
                            Last edited by R.N. Armstrong; 28 Jan 20, 13:15.
                            Leadership is the ability to rise above conventional wisdom.

Comment

Originally posted by R.N. Armstrong View Post

I had a chance to talk with a team of Harvard professors who had traveled to Russia at that time. They observed that the Russian food supply chain could not support the standard MacDonald fare. They had to collect their own cattle for the beef, obtain gardens for tomatoes and lettuce, and establish a delivery to the Moscow MacDonald.
                              I've heard the food there have a fresher taste because they source from local vendors.

Since this grand opening in 1990, there are now 650 McDonald's in the country.

Their menu seem to differ slightly...

Last edited by Persephone; 31 Jan 20, 11:57.
                              "Stand for the flag ~ Kneel for the fallen"

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." ~ Bruce Lee

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X