Alexander Dugin's Foundations of Geopolitics book

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alexander Dugin's Foundations of Geopolitics book

A diarist from Redstate brought up an interesting point about Russia's grand strategy. According to him, a Russian elite intellectual named Alexander Dugin wrote a book on the foundations geopolitics and the blueprint that Russia should follow in her pursuit of Eurasian hegemony. His book is reportedly on the list of required reading for Russian military officers and is widely read among the upper political leadership in Russia. Putin seems to take some pages out of the book in implementing his vision of Russian supremacy on Eurasia.

Is there an English translation of Alexander Dugin's 1997 book?

https://www.redstate.com/diary/daven...er-really-end/

Dugin’s main thesis was 1997’s “Foundations of Geopolitics” which is required reading for Russian military and intelligence officers. It is also an outline of Russian methods to be used to usher in this new era where the pole of influence lies not in Paris, Berlin or Brussels, but in Moscow. Dugin realizes that politically and economically, the new Russia cannot wield hard power despite having a nuclear arsenal. That merely gets Russia and Putin a seat at the table. Instead, soft power is to be used by fomenting unrest in targeted states through a campaign of propaganda and misinformation, backing separatist movements within countries and forming a Russia-Islamic alliance with Shiite states (Iran). It also calls for cutting Great Britain off from mainland Europe.

Russia’s designs on the Ukraine through the annexation of Crimea and their involvement in eastern Ukraine are an outgrowth of this philosophy. Likewise, so is Russia’s outreach to and defense of Iran. They have sponsored separatist “conventions” that included such unlikely figures as secessionist movement leaders from Texas and California, the Catalan and Basque regions of Spain, Scotland, and Italy.

Just keep in your mind, the diarist doesn't offer up his credentials or his expertise in Russian affairs, so I have no idea whether any of this is true to the extent that Putin is using some of the methods outlined in Dugin's book.
    Major James Holden, Georgia Badgers Militia of Rainbow Regiment, American Civil War

"Aim small, miss small."

To my knowledge there is no offical translation of his book in English.
    The article overplays his importance in the politics. He has some popularity in certain cicrles but he isn't the maker of Russian international politics. Those are dictated by national interests and financial interests of the elites.
    There are no Nazis in Ukraine. © Idiots

Comment

Originally posted by Emtos View Post
      To my knowledge there is no offical translation of his book in English.
      The article overplays his importance in the politics. He has some popularity in certain cicrles but he isn't the maker of Russian international politics. Those are dictated by national interests and financial interests of the elites.
      But it is newsworthy to note that his book is required reading for Russian military and intelligence officers at Military Academy of the General Staff.
      Major James Holden, Georgia Badgers Militia of Rainbow Regiment, American Civil War

"Aim small, miss small."

Comment

Originally posted by Cheetah772 View Post

But it is newsworthy to note that his book is required reading for Russian military and intelligence officers at Military Academy of the General Staff.
        I didn't seen reliable links confirming this. I'm also not sure that book seen other prints in 2000-.

Comment

Originally posted by Cheetah772 View Post
          Where is it from? From what I see Dugin's book is included in the recommended reading list in many university courses. But just one of books in the list.
          I'm agree that Dugin is an exotic figure and definitely not from a Kremlin's pool. As for think tankers which are really close to the Russian government see e.g.:
          http://eng.globalaffairs.ru/pubcol/H...spective-18303
          http://eng.globalaffairs.ru/number/2...-Realism-18585
          Last edited by Artyom_A; 25 Jul 18, 06:40.

Comment

RAND's analysis says that:
            Furthermore, while Dugin is reported to have connections and ties with Russian officials, including the Russian military leadership, and although Russian leaders may cite his work or ideas, it does not appear that he is directly influential in Russian policymaking. He is perhaps best thought of as an extremist provocateur with some limited and peripheral impact than as an influential analyst with a direct impact on policy
            https://www.rand.org/content/dam/ran...AND_RR1826.pdf

Comment

It might be more germane to look up Ilyin before Dugin, to understand contemporary Russia:
              https://www.nybooks.com/daily/2018/0...ssian-fascism/

Looking at Surkov's ideas might also provide insights:
              https://www.rferl.org/a/putin-advise.../29155700.html

Comment

Originally posted by Johan Banér View Post
                It might be more germane to look up Ilyin before Dugin, to understand contemporary Russia:
                https://www.nybooks.com/daily/2018/0...ssian-fascism/
                He-he

. When apartment buildings in Russian cities began to explode, Putin blamed Muslims and began a war in Chechnya. Contemporary evidence suggests that the bombs might have been planted by Russia’s own security organization, the FSB.
                Bush did 9/11 aha. People who are into conspiracy theories are without exceptions idiots, I repeat this once again. There is nothing relevant about Ilyin except that eh was mentioned by Putin on one or two occasions..

Comment

Ah, I forgot to look at the author's name. Tymothy Snider - no further comments are needed.

Comment

Snyder is clearly the reason Putin bothered to have Ilyin dug up and carted back to Russia for burial there...

As usual you're distracted by the ephemeral.

Putin was also conscientious about bringing Ilyin's papers back to Russia from the US:
                    https://web.archive.org/web/20060613...80/content.htm
                    Last edited by Johan Banér; 26 Jul 18, 07:28.

Comment

Originally posted by Artyom_A View Post
                      People who are into conspiracy theories are without exceptions idiots
                      I might normally agree with you, except for those crazy conspiracy theories which turn out to be true, like MK Ultra, the Tuskegee Syphilis Experiment, the Katyn Massacre, etc . . . . Are they still crazy then?

Of course, concerning 98% of conspiracy theories out there, they really are idiotic. You're overlooking a most pertinent fact, however: our governments do just enough crooked stuff that conspiracy theorizing remains at least minimally plausible. That fact right there should give you reason for pause.
                      I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

In the present case he is absolutely right. With the attack on Dagestan, the reasons for the second war were right here.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                        X