X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Russia restores bomber patrols

Looks like this isn't the end of it.

Link
    "You can tell a lot about a fella's character by whether he picks out all of one color or just grabs a handful." -explaining why Reagan liked to have a jar of jelly beans on hand for important meetings

CO for 1st S.INC Shock Security Troop

yeah i saw that on the news here in the uk .. and online ..

a start to a new type of cold war ?..
    owner of the yahoo group for WW1 ,WW2 and Modern TO&Es
    (Tables of organisation & equipment or Unit of action )

http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/TOandEs/

Comment

The russkies are posturing and trying to regain their crediilty, bearing in mind the people who run the country, government, miltary, intelligence are pretty much the same lot who ran the place back in the day. They're looking for a reaction to show those at home they can still have an influence. We should not give them that reaction, not overtly anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by thomas.tmcc View Post
        yeah i saw that on the news here in the uk .. and online ..

a start to a new type of cold war ?..
        I don't think they are starting a new Cold War but merely responding to unilateral moves made by the West. The US decision to go ahead with developing a new breed of nuclear weapons, like the bunker busters, and placing the new missle defense system on Russia's border despite their objections was the impetus to this apparent saber rattling by the Russians.
        "Every man should be his own Guru; every woman her own Gurette" ...Ed Abbey

Comment

Yes i believe this is the good old game of Russian brinkmanship returning, and yes i believe it is in response to apparent russian frustration at the news of America enlisting the help of the Poles and the Czechs in buildin gthat missile defence sheild in eastern europe.

If you think about it, it is the most obvious and pretictable response that you could expect from them , and is certainly in line with Russian wishes to expand and modernize her military.

Comment

Too bad the Russians are not spending their money where it really needs to be going. Even if this is justifiable action from them, what they did for fifty years in Eastern Europe and Afganistan does not absolve them, from taking responsibility. Putin and the others in Kremlin should be in jail and not being leaders of a country.

Comment

Originally posted by copenhagen View Post
              The russkies are posturing and trying to regain their crediilty, bearing in mind the people who run the country, government, miltary, intelligence are pretty much the same lot who ran the place back in the day. They're looking for a reaction to show those at home they can still have an influence. We should not give them that reaction, not overtly anyway.
              I agree with you. It's just posturing and trying to regain some dignity.

I saw pictures of the media event. It could not possibly be taken seriously, what with rows of dumb bombs lined up underneath their bombers - something right out of the 1950's! It's almost as if Russia is, metaphorically, bringing a stone-age club to a gun fight.

It's really sad to see how far Russia has fallen. They can't even assassinate people right nowadays. Back in 1978, they got the Bulgarians to put a poisoned pellet into a guy, and he's dead the next day. Nowadays, their target takes a long time to die, and the news are splashed all over the world, with tell tale signs leading all the way back to Moscow.

It's all a rather pathetic display.

Having said that, let's not get complacent. The small countries of Eastern Europe, such as Estonia and Poland, needs to know that the world is standing with them against any renewed Russian expansionism.

Comment

Originally posted by thunder_love View Post
                Too bad the Russians are not spending their money where it really needs to be going. Even if this is justifiable action from them, what they did for fifty years in Eastern Europe and Afganistan does not absolve them, from taking responsibility. Putin and the others in Kremlin should be in jail and not being leaders of a country.
                Too bad the Russians are not spending their money where it really needs to be going?!?!?!

http://www.nationalpriorities.org/Co...-of-War-3.html
                "Every man should be his own Guru; every woman her own Gurette" ...Ed Abbey

Comment

Originally posted by Ogukuo72 View Post
                  It's really sad to see how far Russia has fallen.

The small countries of Eastern Europe, such as Estonia and Poland, needs to know that the world is standing with them against any renewed Russian expansionism.
                  Aren't these two opinions mutually contradicting?

Comment

Didn't...

a couple of them enter British airspace? Surely the Brits saw them coming. They would be perfectly justified in shooting them down. The West needs to quit rolling over to the the Russians, Iranians, etc. They need to be slapped and hard.

Then let's see what they do. This is embarrassing.
                    Save America!! Impeach Obama!!

Comment

Originally posted by Sino Invasion View Post
                      a couple of them enter British airspace? Surely the Brits saw them coming. They would be perfectly justified in shooting them down. The West needs to quit rolling over to the the Russians, Iranians, etc. They need to be slapped and hard.

Then let's see what they do. This is embarrassing.
                      Even so, NATO pilots and in particular the RAF would have to follow strict rules of engagement in the event of any threat posed by Russian bombers. Remember what the Russians are doing, playing that old game of timing the NATO response between detection and interception.

I would imagine that in the event of an incursion into UK airspace, the RAF crew would have to transmit a series of warnings and then warn by partially rolling their aircraft to display the weapons as a warning. They may fire a warning burst of 23mm rounds and if the Russians overfly a UK land mass then they would be fired on but I suspect the final "weapons free" order may come from Prime Minister Brown.
                      Hitler played Golf. His bunker shot was a hole in one.

Comment

It's a media event, meant to elicit media reports about Russian power without reference to reality.

Comment

I agree that this, along with joint military exercises is sabre rattling by the Russians. The end of the Soviet Union did not mean the end to Russian imperialism. Iran is a friend to both Russia and China both of whom provide aide to their Middle Eastern ally. Russia may be attempting to deflect attention back to NATO. The Russian/Chinese alliance has been called an anti-NATO grouping. Where does this lead?
                          That is hard to say. Russia has always wanted warm water ports and they can be had in the Persian Gulf, either in Iran or Iraq (eventually). Beware the Russian bear!!!!
                          Peace is Our Profession

Comment

Let them, it costs money to fuel them, and Russia has yet to figure out how to make money as well as the capitalist west.

Let them aim their damn missiles, a nuke is still as useless as it ever was.

Frankly, the Russians ain't the Warsaw Pact of the 70-80s and Putin might as well get used to that fact.

They better get their brains in the right places, or the Chinese economic machine will eat them for breakfast in the years to come.

Russia needs the rest of the world more than the rest of the world needs Russia.
                            Life is change. Built models for decades.
                            Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
                            I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

Originally posted by Schwerepunkt View Post
                              I agree that this, along with joint military exercises is sabre rattling by the Russians. The end of the Soviet Union did not mean the end to Russian imperialism. Iran is a friend to both Russia and China both of whom provide aide to their Middle Eastern ally. Russia may be attempting to deflect attention back to NATO. The Russian/Chinese alliance has been called an anti-NATO grouping. Where does this lead?
                              That is hard to say. Russia has always wanted warm water ports and they can be had in the Persian Gulf, either in Iran or Iraq (eventually). Beware the Russian bear!!!!
                              The Bear and the Dragon might have realised that they have to work together to resist the Eagle, the Lion and the Bull.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X