Russia suspends arms control pact

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Russia suspends arms control pact

Russian President Vladimir Putin has suspended the application of a key Cold War arms control treaties.

Mr Putin signed a decree citing "exceptional circumstances" affecting security as the reason for the move.

Dr. S.
    Imagine a ball of iron, the size of the sun. And once a year a tiny sparrow brushes its surface with the tip of its wing. And when that ball of iron, the size of the sun, is worn away to nothing, your punishment will barely have begun.

www.sinisterincorporated.co.uk

www.tabletown.co.uk

Since this affects three of Russia's Military Districts (Moscow, Volga, North Caucasus), this is clearly aimed to build up the forces opposite the Ukraine, with possibly the Baltic States as well.

If the RF does build up its forces, will the Ukraine follow suit and have no choice but to pull out of the CFE Treaty?

In which case, you know Belorus will also, followed by the Baltic States and Poland.

Are we seeing the beginning of a new arms race in Eastern Europe?

konev

Comment

oh yes indeed and the primacy for the movement imo will be between former block states and Russia with NATO aidance and abbetance.

'Jr.' really has 'screwed the pooch' on this one with the vaunted and untried MDS euro.....the joint usage of Russian radar etal.

Better to have worked closer with the Turks, on the issue of the Kurdish PPK, and put the MDS, if at all, along the balkan and Black sea frontier pointed ese...the Russians could have lived with that.

Ya put what's left of these commie hardliners in the box and they'll react...and they have.

Comment

Originally posted by Doctor Sinister View Post
        Russian President Vladimir Putin has suspended the application of a key Cold War arms control treaties.

Mr Putin signed a decree citing "exceptional circumstances" affecting security as the reason for the move.

Dr. S.
        This is exactly why I started the other thread about Rusia. I've been hearing stuff lik this and then seeing how adamantly Putin is opposing the missle defense system in Poland, makes me kind of wonder what they're up to.
        It's my firm conviction that when Uncle Sam calls, by God we go, and we do the best that we can. - R. Lee Ermey

Comment

is it a hollow threat or something more sinister ?? ...
          owner of the yahoo group for WW1 ,WW2 and Modern TO&Es
          (Tables of organisation & equipment or Unit of action )

http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/TOandEs/

Comment

Originally posted by Konev View Post
            Since this affects three of Russia's Military Districts (Moscow, Volga, North Caucasus), this is clearly aimed to build up the forces opposite the Ukraine, with possibly the Baltic States as well.

If the RF does build up its forces, will the Ukraine follow suit and have no choice but to pull out of the CFE Treaty?
            In which case, you know Belorus will also, followed by the Baltic States and Poland.
            Are we seeing the beginning of a new arms race in Eastern Europe?

konev
            You seem to be jumping to some staggering assumptions here. Poland and the Baltic states will do exactly as they are told by the US an EU!!

Originally posted by 6thInf grandson View Post
            This is exactly why I started the other thread about Rusia. I've been hearing stuff lik this and then seeing how adamantly Putin is opposing the missle defense system in Poland, makes me kind of wonder what they're up to.
            I think this is pure sabre rattling, Putin and Russia are starting to realise that nobody is taking them to seriously later so they like to play games like this to make themselves heard. The only thing the Russian can really threaten with is shutting off the gas.
            Wolster

Comment

Well whatever is going on, Putin is definitly gettign the atention in the gloabel news.
              I am a simple man. I am by no means smarter than the average man. I am average...yet genius.

Comment

Taking a page...

From is former client Little Kim. Not getting te respect you think your little country deserves? Do something that sounds blatantly anti-US. You'll get plenty of positive press then.

Pure grandstanding. Russian foreign policy has become pure anti-US, just like Hugo our favorite south of the border blowhard.

Ignore and it will go away. If I were Putin or whoever his follow on puppet is; I'd be a lot more worried about how I was going to actually prep and put on an Olympics. Only 7 years to go; barely enough time to figure out where all the bribes will go, much less create the entire infrastructure from pretty much scratch.

A yes, the Vodka Games of 2014. I'll drink to that!!
                Save America!! Impeach Obama!!

Comment

Getting back to normal European power politics . . .

Russia is significantly smaller that the old USSR in terms of military manpower. With many of its former WP satellites actively against it the threat is even smaller. Putin would like to undertake more a assertive foreign policy and improving the Russian military is a logical element of that course. This alone doe not make Russia a life & death threat to the West.

A strong and hostile Ukraine would be like a land mine right at Russia's feet. So at a minimum Russia wants Ukraine neutral or optimally as reliable ally.

Poland and Russia will remain at odds over multiple issues and the Poles would very much like to get the US heavily engaged in their defense as a hedge.

I don't believe in arms control. If you have an accomodating political environment people won't pay for extra weapons. If you have an evironment of political tension and mistrust the treaties get overcome by events and people arm to the teeth.
                  Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.

Questions about our site? See the FAQ.

Comment

Any comments about what if he uses this to rebuild military units, mobilise and focus his people, revamp his power stucture, and turns the new military SOUTH? Forcast 3-5 years from now. What would our response be if they engaged the growing Islamic movement?
                    Some American's are still arguing that we fought the wrong enemy in WWII. We couldn't ignore the situation forever..Which side do we join?
                    My Avatar: Ivan W. Henderson Gunner/navigator B-25-26. 117 combat missions. Both Theaters. 11 confirmed kills. DSC.

Comment

He will have to be quick!! He goes at the end of this year or beginning of next. Unless he declares himself President-for-life!

He could then annex the Baltics, Belarus and Ukraine. NATO wouldn't risk Nuclear war over them! However, Azerbaijan and Kazakhstan may be different!

More likly though is he is tryig to go out with a bang rather than a wimper!!

Wolster

Comment

One can assume one of two probable fact patterns behind this. both hinging on the growing sense of unese within RF at what they perceive as a secondary military status and too much "pandering" to Western concerns and desires. There is a strong feeling among significant parts of the population that cooperation with the West has not gained Russia anything.

Either Putin is doing this for domestic consumption to forestaff a stronger shift toward a militaristi/nationalistic position of RF or he is leading the shift in that direction.
                        Boston Strong!

Comment

Originally posted by Wolster View Post
                          He will have to be quick!! He goes at the end of this year or beginning of next. Unless he declares himself President-for-life!
                          I think both Putin and Bush could end up with a third presidential term.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                          X