Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

As Europe Shuns Russia, Putin Increasingly Embracing China

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • As Europe Shuns Russia, Putin Increasingly Embracing China

    I don't see Europeans demonstrating in the streets demanding the return of Putin.

    Farewell Putin and good luck.

    http://www.forbes.com/sites/kenrapoz...bracing-china/


    "Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a ugly brawl."
    --Frederick II, King of Prussia

  • #2
    Well of course. China is the other superpower in the world (India's got potential but isn't exercising their clout like China is), it's on Russia's border, it has no ethical/moral qualms over Russian actions, and is happy to conduct trade and "embrace" Russia unilaterally.

    Though Putin doesn't have many options, really. And China knows it - they're not taking Putin to their bosom from the goodness of their heart. They know a deal when they see one, and with the west hamstrung by their pathetic half-way attempts to oppose Russia (but not really but yeah but no but yeah), China is the big and less complicated market nearby.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Daemon of Decay View Post
      it has no ethical/moral qualms over Russian actions
      Rather "less likely to hypocritically wring hands over others' actions while acting in the ideological tune of its own propaganda for receptive domestic audiences". Exactly like the USSR complained when "workers were oppressed" in the countries it was in conflict with while turning a blind eye/toning down rhetoric towards the countries it needed a good relationship with. Just change "workers" for "free democratic forces, LGBT, etc."

      Not that this changes a lot in your post, but it still should be noted.
      www.histours.ru

      Siege of Leningrad battlefield tour

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by ShAA View Post
        Rather "less likely to hypocritically wring hands over others' actions while acting in the ideological tune of its own propaganda for receptive domestic audiences".
        Brevity is the soul of wit.

        Not that this changes a lot in your post, but it still should be noted.
        Replacing a short, neutral statement with a long, ideologically subjective one does change quite a bit. It's the difference between saying "the defendant John Smith" and "the obviously guilty John Smith".

        Comment


        • #5
          Putin's walking a dangerous road. The PRC and the USSR weren't the best of friends.

          Having China as a friend is akin to being allied to the French: it looks good on paper, but it never ends well.
          Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
            Putin's walking a dangerous road. The PRC and the USSR weren't the best of friends.

            Having China as a friend is akin to being allied to the French: it looks good on paper, but it never ends well.
            China will need Russian territory for its exploding population while the Russian population is declining.

            "Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a ugly brawl."
            --Frederick II, King of Prussia

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by MonsterZero View Post
              China will need Russian territory for its exploding population while the Russian population is declining.
              What.... Siberia?
              They may have claims, but I don't think so. Its just too ugly.

              Haven't they built massive apartment blocks in Africa? Haven't they shown Imperialist tendencies in the South china Sea?

              They might go in any direction, but north does not seem to be the one they have prepared for.
              Then again, who really knows, with these guys?

              Comment


              • #8
                Reality check. Chinese population in areas bordering Russian Federation has decreased. China doesn't lack Lebensraum, and if anything, the Chinese obviously don't prefer the comparatively harsh climate and underdeveloped regions.

                On the topic of Russian isolation, sanctions and imminent crumbling of Russian economy, you might want to read on the St. Petersburg business forum, the current trends in Russian economy etc.

                Of course, you won't, because had you bothered to educate yourself one bit on the topics you like to write about, we would be spared of the nonsense and utterly wrong predictions you have shared with us.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Epigon View Post
                  Reality check. Chinese population in areas bordering Russian Federation has decreased. China doesn't lack Lebensraum, and if anything, the Chinese obviously don't prefer the comparatively harsh climate and underdeveloped regions.

                  On the topic of Russian isolation, sanctions and imminent crumbling of Russian economy, you might want to read on the St. Petersburg business forum, the current trends in Russian economy etc.

                  Of course, you won't, because had you bothered to educate yourself one bit on the topics you like to write about, we would be spared of the nonsense and utterly wrong predictions you have shared with us.
                  Not crumbling economy but decades of stagnation. In other words, Soviet Union II. Decades of stagnation because Russian elites are too proud to admit their attitude is wrong and its isolating their country. Fortunately for young Russians trying to raise families, at least this time they have the option to emigrate. During USSR times emigration wasn't possible for most people.

                  "Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a ugly brawl."
                  --Frederick II, King of Prussia

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by The Exorcist View Post
                    What.... Siberia?
                    They may have claims, but I don't think so. Its just too ugly.
                    Siberia is a storehouse of natural wealth. Oil, gold, diamonds, and more.
                    Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
                      Siberia is a storehouse of natural wealth. Oil, gold, diamonds, and more.
                      Also a great place to use nukes against an invading army.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by The Exorcist View Post
                        What.... Siberia?
                        They may have claims, but I don't think so. Its just too ugly.

                        Haven't they built massive apartment blocks in Africa? Haven't they shown Imperialist tendencies in the South china Sea?

                        They might go in any direction, but north does not seem to be the one they have prepared for.
                        Then again, who really knows, with these guys?















                        Yea, truly a ugly land

                        Last edited by Half Pint John; 23 Jun 16, 06:17.
                        "Ask not what your country can do for you"

                        Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

                        you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Daemon of Decay View Post
                          Brevity is the soul of wit.
                          Indeed so.

                          Replacing a short, neutral statement with a long, ideologically subjective one does change quite a bit.
                          Just as the omission of a significant aspect of an issue. The difference of the West's treatment of countries with "human rights violations" based on geopolitics and financial interest is a well-established and easily observed phenomenon.

                          It's the difference between saying "the defendant John Smith" and "the obviously guilty John Smith".
                          When John Smith is standing above another man holding a bloodied axe sticking out of that man's head, it's not such a great sin against the truth.

                          But technically, you are right, of course.
                          www.histours.ru

                          Siege of Leningrad battlefield tour

                          Comment

                          Latest Topics

                          Collapse

                          Working...
                          X