Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scientist Illegally Uploads Research To Open Up Science

http://www.sciencealert.com/this-wom...pen-up-science

A researcher in Russia has made more than 48 million journal articles - almost every single peer-reviewed paper every published - freely available online. And she's now refusing to shut the site down, despite a court injunction and a lawsuit from Elsevier, one of the world's biggest publishers.

For those of you who aren't already using it, the site in question is Sci-Hub, and it's sort of like a Pirate Bay of the science world. It was established in 2011 by neuroscientist Alexandra Elbakyan, who was frustrated that she couldn't afford to access the articles needed for her research, and it's since gone viral, with hundreds of thousands of papers being downloaded daily. But at the end of last year, the site was ordered to be taken down by a New York district court - a ruling that Elbakyan has decided to fight, triggering a debate over who really owns science.
    I've experienced the frustration of trying to research something for school, only to be solicited for money to read past the abstract. The researchers are often receiving grants and funding paid for through taxes, so it seems like there should be some mechanism to share it with the people paying the bills. On the other hand, I'm sure all the money paid to the professional organizations supports the process through vetting publications. In the end, I wish they could reach a happy medium for individuals who aren't working for a corporation, organization, or higher education institution.

One of the most interesting petitions I ever saw was one demanding that any research even partially funded with public money should be available to the public to free.

It seems incredible that taxpayers can fund research that the taxpayer will then have to pay again to see.

Comment

Originally posted by Daemon of Decay View Post
      One of the most interesting petitions I ever saw was one demanding that any research even partially funded with public money should be available to the public to free.
      I would sign that petition.
      It seems incredible that taxpayers can fund research that the taxpayer will then have to pay again to see.
      It is not just taxpayers who need to pay to see them again...

Originally posted by Biscuit View Post
      On the other hand, I'm sure all the money paid to the professional organizations supports the process through vetting publications.
      That is about as likely as having 100% of your charity donations ending up to the people who actually need the charities...
      It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion, it is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed. The hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion

Comment

Its not just scientific research. Increasingly PhD theses in other subjects that used to be available on line are being hidden behind academic pay walls
        Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
        Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

A founder of Sci-Hub website Alexandra Yelbakyan is included in the list of 10 people most influential in the world of science in 2016 by Nature journal:
          http://www.nature.com/news/nature-s-10-1.21157

Comment

Sci-hub founder bans Russian users on her website:
            https://meduza.io/en/feature/2017/09...ersonal-grudge
            The story among other thing is yet another testimony to Russian intellectuals' propensity for meaningless quarrels.

Comment

Originally posted by Artyom_A View Post
              Sci-hub founder bans Russian users on her website:
              https://meduza.io/en/feature/2017/09...ersonal-grudge
              The story among other thing is yet another testimony to Russian intellectuals' propensity for meaningless quarrels.
              You don't regard yourself as intellectual I take it?
              Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
              Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Originally posted by Biscuit View Post

I've experienced the frustration of trying to research something for school, only to be solicited for money to read past the abstract. The researchers are often receiving grants and funding paid for through taxes, so it seems like there should be some mechanism to share it with the people paying the bills. On the other hand, I'm sure all the money paid to the professional organizations supports the process through vetting publications. In the end, I wish they could reach a happy medium for individuals who aren't working for a corporation, organization, or higher education institution.
                I have no problem paying for an article written by some academic or historian based on their own research. The problem is the prices that the academic journals charge - upwards of $40 in order to be granted 24-hour access to a 15 page document. It is a prohibitive amount if you are an independent researcher.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• casanova
                  Berlin.1945
                  by casanova
                  The Sowjet T-34 tank against a German Tiger tank in Berlin in the II World War in 1945. ...
                  Yesterday, 23:41
                • casanova
                  AW 169M
                  by casanova
                  The Austrian minister of defence Klaudia Tanner declared the buy of 18 Italian military helicopters of the type AW 169M for the Austrian army, the Bundesheer....
                  Yesterday, 23:26
                • JBark
                  What changed?
                  by JBark
                  There was a time not too long ago when this forum was full of discussion, multiple posts, votes and involved discussions on the best of the war, etc.,...
                  Yesterday, 18:54
                Working...
                X