Red Army veterans in Israel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Army veterans in Israel

May 9th Victory Day Celebrated in Israel: Soviet Union's World War II Veterans Are Recognised

Israel: Victorious Red Army celebrated in Jerusalem

Putin, Peres Unveil WW2 Memorial in Netanya: Russia, Israel Honour Red Army for Ending Holocaust:

In Israeli city of Ashdod, Russian-Jewish youth learnt from Red Army veterans

A Jewish fighter in the Red Army: Levsei (Joshua) Weinrob

Israel: Jewish WWII veterans mark Victory Day in Jerusalem

Netanya Monument

Comment

Here's a quite interesting work, it's short (about 20 pages) but rather informative:

WHY THEY FOUGHT: WHAT SOVIET JEWISH SOLDIERS SAW AND HOW IT IS REMEMBERED
      www.histours.ru

Siege of Leningrad battlefield tour

Comment

Very Nice,

Comment

The forgotten Jews of the Red Army

JERUSALEM (AP) — Once a year, Israel’s Jewish war veterans don suit jackets and uniforms dripping in Red Army medals, the shiny bronzes and silvers pinned to their chests in tight rows like armor.

About 500,000 Jews served in the Soviet Red Army during World War II. Most of those still alive today — about 7,000 — are said to live in Israel.

Every year on Victory Day, which falls on Thursday 9th May this year, they parade in uniform throughout Israel to celebrate Nazi Germany’s surrender to the Soviet Union.

Afterward, they return home to their modest apartments, where some tick off the days in solitude — and poverty.

“The ceremonies are beautiful. People like to come and say nice words. But nice words don’t put food on your plate,” said Abraham Michael Grinzaid, 87, head of an association of Soviet war veterans. “The rest of the year, no one thinks of us.”

About 1.5 million Jews fought in Allied armies, including 500,000 in the Red Army, 550,000 in the American army, 100,000 in the Polish army and 30,000 in the British army, according to Israel’s Holocaust museum Yad Vashem
          Times of Israel - Full Article

An article from three years ago, but pretty relevant to the subject at hand.

Comment

Originally posted by Daemon of Decay View Post
            Times of Israel - Full Article

An article from three years ago, but pretty relevant to the subject at hand.

The ceremonies are beautiful. People like to come and say nice words. But nice words don’t put food on your plate,” said Abraham Michael Grinzaid, 87, head of an association of Soviet war veterans. “The rest of the year, no one thinks of us.”
            Why did you not reveal that the description from your quote above describes the situation in Israel, and not Russia ?
            You seem to act in accordance the western corporate media,
            did they installed a compliance chip in you
            No worries, it's just me wearing a tinfoil hat

Grinzaid, of the veterans association, complained that some Soviet war veterans in Israel receive government stipends amounting to just $50 a month, a pittance compared to the financial support Israeli Holocaust survivors receive.

Comment

Originally posted by Konzev View Post
              Why did you not reveal that the description from your quote above describes the situation in Israel, and not Russia ?
              Let's see... the source is the Times of Israel... the subhead mentions the article is about Israelis... it was posted in a thread about Red Army veterans in Israel... and the very first word in the body is the location of the filing: Jerusalem.

You seem to act in accordance the western corporate media,
              did they installed a compliance chip in you
              I didn't know that reading comprehension is a product of corporate media obedience.

No worries, it's just me wearing a tinfoil hat
              I would like to believe that your entire post was in jest, and it is just the separation of the Internet hiding some crucial context clues on my end. Because if you were even partially serious about any of this, I'm struggling to understand your point.

Forgive me, but it seems you are either seriously suggesting that there is a subtle plot to trick people into believing this story about Israeli Red Army veterans is actually about portraying Russia negatively, or you're making light of the accusations of anti-Russian bias and misleading journalism by ironically making up a knowingly groundless criticism to demonstrate how feeble such claims can be.

Comment

Let's see... the source is the Times of Israel... the subhead mentions the article is about Israelis... it was posted in a thread about Red Army veterans in Israel... and the very first word in the body is the location of the filing: Jerusalem.
                If a high school class would read the quote of yours in question, it might not surprise you, what conclusions they may draw.

I didn't know that reading comprehension is a product of corporate media obedience.
                It's called the "manufacturing of consent", please read your Noam Chomski..

I would like to believe that your entire post was in jest, and it is just the separation of the Internet hiding some crucial context clues on my end. Because if you were even partially serious about any of this, I'm struggling to understand your point.
                Your thought was "from one court jester to another, am I right ?
                And please stop struggling, and just look beyond your "vice news" sources.

Forgive me, but it seems you are either seriously suggesting that there is a subtle plot to trick people into believing this story about Israeli Red Army veterans is actually about portraying Russia negatively, or you're making light of the accusations of anti-Russian bias and misleading journalism by ironically making up a knowingly groundless criticism to demonstrate how feeble such claims can be.
                Subtle is pretty close, method number 1: is likely to leave out facts that might make people feel less comfortable to consume corporate products.
                Or defending a political agenda , like it is happening in Germany, Sweden and Austria, than the situation is as followes:
                The Media is instructed to keep any refugee misbehavior out of the headlines:
                According to a statement of ZDF (German main TV station 2) cultural Literature head Wolfgang Herles, that there is an order to follow Merkels guidelines of keep a positive media about the refugees.
                Die Debatte um die Berichterstattung der Öffentlich-Rechtlichen ist noch nicht zu Ende. Gerade erst ist der Wirbel über den Vorwurf einer WDR-Mitarbeiterin abgeebbt, es gebe Anweisungen, positiv über den Flüchtlingskurs von Kanzlerin Merkel zu berichten, da sorgt eine neue Äußerung für Aufregun
                http://www.focus.de/kultur/medien/de...d_5254103.html

Comment

If a high school class would read the quote of yours in question, it might not surprise you, what conclusions they may draw.
                  So the criticism is that if a hypothetical high school class reads only one out of context quote taken from the article and ignore everything else in the article talking about Israel, they might assume it was talking about Russia.

I'm speechless.

It's called the "manufacturing of consent", please read your Noam Chomski..
                  It's good that you've read up on one theory of mass communication. It's not the only one by far, nor the most convincing, but most people haven't read any of them at all. Just be sure to study a few others for a more well-rounded picture.

Personal favorite? The old hypodermic needle theory. Totally disproven since, gosh, the mid-20th century, but it's still amusing to see how people used to think about mass media.

Your thought was "from one court jester to another, am I right ?
                  No. How did jesters get involved in this?

And please stop struggling, and just look beyond your "vice news" sources.
                  An article talking about the struggles some Red Army veterans have gone through to get the recognition they deserve in their home of Israel provokes... I don't even know what.

About the only thing you've said so far on topic was the strange statement that perhaps, just maybe, a high school class could misread one quote in an article and assume it was about something very different. A very weak criticism that is so generic it could literally be applied to anything, but at least it had to do with the posted content.

Subtle is pretty close, method number 1: is likely to leave out facts that might make people feel less comfortable to consume corporate products.
                  Or defending a political agenda , like it is happening in Germany, Sweden and Austria, than the situation is as followes:
                  The Media is instructed to keep any refugee misbehavior out of the headlines:
                  According to a statement of ZDF (German main TV station 2) cultural Literature head Wolfgang Herles, that there is an order to follow Merkels guidelines of keep a positive media about the refugees.

http://www.focus.de/kultur/medien/de...d_5254103.html
                  Yeah, I saw it when you posted that story a few days ago. But this is just moving further off topic. What does any of this have to do with the original article, or the surprising idea that children can fail to understand an article if they don't read more than one sentence from it?

Comment

So the criticism is that if a hypothetical high school class reads only one out of context quote taken from the article and ignore everything else in the article talking about Israel, they might assume it was talking about Russia.
                    First they would not read the link, you would give them too much credit for curiosity and attention span. And why should they bother, when they already have the mainstream media down about Russia, as an evil and dark place, subtly and carefully crafted by Hollywood, pbs doc's, presidential speeches.

I'm speechless.
                    Did I ever receive you on audio ?

It's good that you've read up on one theory of mass communication. It's not the only one by far, nor the most convincing, but most people haven't read any of them at all. Just be sure to study a few others for a more well-rounded picture.
                    I take you got the well rounded picture down in detail

Personal favorite? The old hypodermic needle theory. Totally disproven since, gosh, the mid-20th century, but it's still amusing to see how people used to think about mass media.
                    I will add that to your arsenal of dumb antics.

No. How did jesters get involved in this?
                    your reply on Post number 7 : your entire post was in jest

An article talking about the struggles some Red Army veterans have gone through to get the recognition they deserve in their home of Israel provokes... I don't even know what.
                    Live and learn.

About the only thing you've said so far on topic was the strange statement that perhaps, just maybe, a high school class could misread one quote in an article and assume it was about something very different. A very weak criticism that is so generic it could literally be applied to anything, but at least it had to do with the posted content.
                    If you did not understand the substance of your own quote, than how should a high school class unravel the mystery of your out of context taken quote ?

Yeah, I saw it when you posted that story a few days ago. But this is just moving further off topic. What does any of this have to do with the original article, or the surprising idea that children can fail to understand an article if they don't read more than one sentence from it?
                    You are aiming at another award in deflectionary tactics ?

Comment

First they would not read the link, you would give them too much credit for curiosity and attention span. And why should they bother, when they already have the mainstream media down about Russia, as an evil and dark place, subtly and carefully crafted by Hollywood, pbs doc's, presidential speeches.
                      Again with the conspiracy theories about "carefully crafted" messages meant to turn people against Russia.

Do you understand why I've mentioned the tinfoil hats? Its because such "theories" lead otherwise intelligent people to believe such silliness as, say, a Times of Israel article being part of a "carefully crafted" plot to present Russia as a dark and evil place... and the evidence for this is nothing but a claim that the article in question could conceivably be misinterpreted by a hypothetical high school classroom if they were provided a single out of context paragraph.

And again, I have to ask - just what does any of this really have to do with Red Army veterans in Israel?

I take you got the well rounded picture down in detail
                      Goodness no. Why would you think that?

There are theories I know only in less than optimal terms. But communication theory is part of my education and profession, and when it comes to the important ones, I'm pretty well read.

I will add that to your arsenal of dumb antics.
                      A wiser man would listen patiently and communicate clearly, rather than calling other people dumb for expressing a different opinion.

your reply on Post number 7 : your entire post was in jest
                      Jest - Dictionary.com

Live and learn.
                      About the only thing you seem to be teaching is that claims of anti-Russian bias are grossly exaggerated and desperately illogical, going by your response to the article. If anything, you've actually made it harder to point out the real examples of bias by your actions.

You're crying wolf when there are no wolves to be seen.

If you did not understand the substance of your own quote, than how should a high school class unravel the mystery of your out of context taken quote ?
                      Okay, I feel like I'm going to have to break out the flash cards and go point by point on this, but you've presented so stunning a logical break, such a poor grasp of logic, reasoning, and objective reality itself, that I really can't help myself. Stuff like this is opium to me.

To begin, your entire statement is predicated upon two false statements. First, that it is "my quote", and secondly, that said quote is not understood. Both are patently false. The former doesn't require any further explanation while the latter is solely a hypothetical fear raised by you alone. There isn't anybody else who is taking this article, randomly skipping down five paragraphs, reading that sentence, and then jumping to the conclusion that Russia is a dark and evil place. That you could replace the part about Russia with any other nation - or any other thing - and it's just as valid says a lot about the critique.

Secondly, you have been the only person who has raised the idea that someone might take one line from this article, ignore the other 99% (including the source and context), and into this void construct a whole original narrative where the Israeli in the text is actually talking about Russia. It's as logical as claiming that Shakespeare is a poor playwright because one randomly selected paragraph from Julius Caesar is by itself a poor play.

Thirdly, you are the only one who has taken anything out of context. What you've done is opy + paste a single paragraph from a wider article and then accused me of posting that out of context quote. It's like taking a pencil from another kid in class, breaking it right in front of him, and then asking him why he broke one of his own pencils.

What's worse is that your arguments are lacking in even the most basic of internal logic. What you have done is no different than if someone had taken any ones of the videos you posted, select a three or four second segment at random, and then declared you were posting videos without context. Thus whatever you seem to believe I have done, you yourself have engaged in it even before I posted the article. So either your logic is flawed and your argument is invalid, or you're a hypocrite.

I will skip over the obvious fallacies for time's sake.

You are aiming at another award in deflectionary tactics ?
                      As "deflectionary" as making up the risk of hypothetical bias? As "deflectionary" as performing an action and then accusing someone else of being the culprit? As "deflectionary" as taking a thread meant to honor the long ignored Red Army soldiers now living in Israel and turning it into a selfish, petty attempt to discuss Hollywood conspiracies and the German media rather than look at their stories, their lives, and the long struggle they've had to go through to get even this mere honor?

No, when it comes to deliberately deflections, I am clearly the amateur here.

Comment

Again with the conspiracy theories about "carefully crafted" messages meant to turn people against Russia.
                        Stating this with in your own words, leads me to the conclusion, that they work.

Do you understand why I've mentioned the tinfoil hats? Its because such "theories" lead otherwise intelligent people to believe such silliness as, say, a Times of Israel article being part of a "carefully crafted" plot to present Russia as a dark and evil place...
                        The article in the Times of Israel, itself does not work in this function.
                        The quote out of the context from the article that you posted, does.

and the evidence for this is nothing but a claim that the article in question could conceivably be misinterpreted by a hypothetical high school classroom if they were provided a single out of context paragraph.
                        It's not a claim, it is the reality:
                        And Rick Mercer, a Canadian journalist tested it on the streets of your country:

And again, I have to ask - just what does any of this really have to do with Red Army veterans in Israel?
                        You decided to make an issue of it, or not ?

There are theories I know only in less than optimal terms. But communication theory is part of my education and profession, and when it comes to the important ones, I'm pretty well read.
                        Sure, you can also be the emperor of China on this forum.

A wiser man would listen patiently and communicate clearly, rather than calling other people dumb for expressing a different opinion.
                        Than why do you keep using those antics ?

Perhaps a wise man would have shed tears of laughter

About the only thing you seem to be teaching is that claims of anti-Russian bias are grossly exaggerated and desperately illogical, going by your response to the article. If anything, you've actually made it harder to point out the real examples of bias by your actions.
                        Not teaching, observing.
                        I do not think so, even the former french Prime minister Sarkozy is talking about it: Sarkozy blasts Western media for anti-Russia bias

You're crying wolf when there are no wolves to be seen.
                        Because I addressed to you to live and learn ?

Okay, I feel like I'm going to have to break out the flash cards and go point by point on this, but you've presented so stunning a logical break, such a poor grasp of logic, reasoning, and objective reality itself, that I really can't help myself. Stuff like this is opium to me.
                        Go ahead, knock yourself out

Secondly, you have been the only person who has raised the idea that someone might take one line from this article, ignore the other 99% (including the source and context), and into this void construct a whole original narrative where the Israeli in the text is actually talking about Russia. It's as logical as claiming that Shakespeare is a poor playwright because one randomly selected paragraph from Julius Caesar is by itself a poor play.
                        I was writing about a method, of how the Western Media distorts facts.

Thirdly, you are the only one who has taken anything out of context. What you've done is opy + paste a single paragraph from a wider article and then accused me of posting that out of context quote. It's like taking a pencil from another kid in class, breaking it right in front of him, and then asking him why he broke one of his own pencils.
                        "Halted den Dieb !" (Stop the burglar)

What's worse is that your arguments are lacking in even the most basic of internal logic. What you have done is no different than if someone had taken any ones of the videos you posted, select a three or four second segment at random, and then declared you were posting videos without context. Thus whatever you seem to believe I have done, you yourself have engaged in it even before I posted the article. So either your logic is flawed and your argument is invalid, or you're a hypocrite.
                        I had the notion, that you wouldn't like it.
                        And I was right.

I will skip over the obvious fallacies for time's sake.
                        More flashcards please

As "deflectionary" as making up the risk of hypothetical bias? As "deflectionary" as performing an action and then accusing someone else of being the culprit? As "deflectionary"
                        This was from the "Communications man"

as taking a thread meant to honor the long ignored Red Army soldiers now living in Israel and turning it into a selfish, petty attempt to discuss Hollywood conspiracies and the German media rather than look at their stories, their lives, and the long struggle they've had to go through to get even this mere honor?
                        Why do I get the impression, that you do not want to debate this issue ?

No, when it comes to deliberately deflections, I am clearly the amateur here.
                        It's you who is claiming to be the Communications expert, not me.

Comment

Red Army vets living in Israel. So what? I'm sure there are many vets of other army's there as well. Are they asking for any special recognition or is this something in the Russian character?
                          "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Stating this with in your own words, leads me to the conclusion, that they work.

The article in the Times of Israel, itself does not work in this function.
                            The quote out of the context from the article that you posted, does.

It's not a claim, it is the reality:
                            And Rick Mercer, a Canadian journalist tested it on the streets of your country:

You decided to make an issue of it, or not ?

Sure, you can also be the emperor of China on this forum.

Than why do you keep using those antics ?

Perhaps a wise man would have shed tears of laughter

Not teaching, observing.
                            I do not think so, even the former french Prime minister Sarkozy is talking about it: Sarkozy blasts Western media for anti-Russia bias

Because I addressed to you to live and learn ?

Go ahead, knock yourself out

I was writing about a method, of how the Western Media distorts facts.

"Halted den Dieb !" (Stop the burglar)

I had the notion, that you wouldn't like it.
                            And I was right.

More flashcards please

This was from the "Communications man"

Why do I get the impression, that you do not want to debate this issue ?

It's you who is claiming to be the Communications expert, not me.
                            Great canned laughter
                            "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
                              Red Army vets living in Israel. So what? I'm sure there are many vets of other army's there as well. Are they asking for any special recognition or is this something in the Russian character?
                              Hi John
                              If you have looked at the videos, you would have noticed that this as not just a "Soviet veteran" event. You would have also seen some US veterans in uniform as well on the scene.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X