Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Putin signs law making Russian constitution above International Law!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Putin signs law making Russian constitution above International Law!

Damn I wish he'd run for president here! How refreshing, a politician who actually puts the interest of his nation first.
    Seriously, I respect this.
    http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/...xjL?li=BBnbfcL

The law makes it clear that Russia’s constitution takes precedence over international law. But there’s one issue, as Human Rights Watch (HRW) points out. Russia is party to the Vienna Convention on the Law of Treaties, which bans countries from invoking their domestic laws to skirt international court rulings.

Russia still technically will have that obligation, so the new law will bring “much uncertainty and opacity to the domestic legal system, further hinder Russia’s relations with its international partners, and delay justice even further for human rights victims,” HRW said.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.

Yea, like Putin cares...

Comment

Don't blame them one bit. What's the point of democracy if laws can be made or overruled by appointed foreign officials?
      "Artillery lends dignity to what might otherwise be a vulgar brawl." - Frederick the Great

Comment

Originally posted by frisco17 View Post
        Don't blame them one bit. What's the point of democracy if laws can be made or overruled by appointed foreign officials?
        Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.

Comment

Well, besides the Putin love, our Constitution has been set up that way since it's inception, so moot point.
          “The time has come,” the Walrus said,
          “To talk of many things:
          Of shoes—and ships—and sealing-wax—
          Of cabbages—and kings—
          And why the sea is boiling hot—
          And whether pigs have wings.”
          ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

Originally posted by Combat Engineer View Post
            Well, besides the Putin love, our Constitution has been set up that way since it's inception, so moot point.
            So has a revolution every twenty or so years to get the tyrants out of office.
            My worst jump story:
            My 13th jump was on the 13th day of the month, aircraft number 013.
            As recorded on my DA Form 1307 Individual Jump Log.
            No lie.

~
            "Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
            -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

Isn't the German constitution above international law as well. They have used it to protect various war criminals over the years....
              Last edited by Surrey; 16 Dec 15, 08:12.
              "To be free is better than to be unfree - always."

Comment

Exactly that's why I don't understand the negative reaction this is getting from so many people. Russia is hardly unique in this move but it's a respectable one.
                "Artillery lends dignity to what might otherwise be a vulgar brawl." - Frederick the Great

Comment

Actually Russia has a silly constitution OR President Putin is grand standing if the law is actually needed.
                  “To talk of many things:
                  Of cabbages—and kings—
                  ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

Originally posted by 101combatvet View Post
                    So has a revolution every twenty or so years to get the tyrants out of office.
                    So, you're saying the constitution is set up for revolutions every twenty years. Interesting.
                    “To talk of many things:
                    Of cabbages—and kings—
                    ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

Originally posted by Urban hermit View Post
                      Damn I wish he'd run for president here! How refreshing, a politician who actually puts the interest of his nation first.
                      Seriously, I respect this.
                      http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/...xjL?li=BBnbfcL

The law makes it clear that Russia’s constitution takes precedence over international law. But there’s one issue, as Human Rights Watch (HRW) points out. Russia is party to the Vienna Convention on the Law of Treaties, which bans countries from invoking their domestic laws to skirt international court rulings.

Russia still technically will have that obligation, so the new law will bring “much uncertainty and opacity to the domestic legal system, further hinder Russia’s relations with its international partners, and delay justice even further for human rights victims,” HRW said.
                      Admiration for a man that with a stroke of the been made the Russian equivalent to our States chief executive, the Governor, go from elected to appointed by the President.
                      “To talk of many things:
                      Of cabbages—and kings—
                      ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

Admiration for a man that with a stroke of the been made the Russian equivalent to our States chief executive, the Governor, go from elected to appointed by the President.
                        Admiration for a statement he made that I happen to respect. If you have a problem with that, too bad.
                        there are some in the UN who would love to force a new international government the supersedes each nations Constitution. Putin has made a stand against that. Good for him.

Comment

Originally posted by Urban hermit View Post
                          Admiration for a statement he made that I happen to respect. If you have a problem with that, too bad.
                          there are some in the UN who would love to force a new international government the supersedes each nations Constitution. Putin has made a stand against that. Good for him.
                          The UN can't make or approve ANY agreement that would supersede our Constitution. Simple fact. Our constitution itself provides for that. So no need for a silly 'law' saying otherwise.

My point with the post you quoted is that the man cares so little for HIS COUNTRIES constitution that he simply changes it when he wants. So any statement or law that you admire is rather pointless, they mean nothing to him.
                          “To talk of many things:
                          Of cabbages—and kings—
                          ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

Actually Russia has a silly constitution OR President Putin is grand standing if the law is actually needed.
                            It's the former. The 1993 Constitution was developed by Yeltsin's ultraliberal advisors and "was approved by foreign experts" as he said before the referendum. After his execution of the Parliament he showed who the boss in the country was and the Russian people meekly voted for his Constitution as they were scared into "continued chaos and bloody confrontation". Few people actually read it, I remember this quite well, and this was mainly because there were no other options anyway. No one had the strength and courage to argue and confront him anymore. Unsurprisingly enough, the new Constitution gave him significantly more power than the old revised Soviet Constitution, and whatever abuse of power is attributed to Putin can be explained by this "ultra-Presidential" Constitution.
                            www.histours.ru

Siege of Leningrad battlefield tour

Comment

The UN can't make or approve ANY agreement that would supersede our Constitution. Simple fact. Our constitution itself provides for that. So no need for a silly 'law' saying otherwise.

My point with the post you quoted is that the man cares so little for HIS COUNTRIES constitution that he simply changes it when he wants. So any statement or law that you admire is rather pointless, they mean nothing to him.
                              You are reading more into it than I posted.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X