New Sniper Rifles For Russian Army

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Sniper Rifles For Russian Army

The Russian Defense Ministry will purchase new sniper rifles next year, Deputy Defense Minister Yury Borisov said on Wednesday.

Under the arms procurement program for 2013, Degtyarev 6S8-1 12.7-mm rifles will be bought for the Russian Armed Forces and from 2014 the ministry will start buying Dragunov 7.62-mm, VSS 9-mm and ASVK 12.7-mm rifles, as well as new optical-electronic sights he said. The ministry will also consider buying Orsis rifles, he added. Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin earlier said Russia will soon start producing four new sets of sniper equipment, including surveillance and detection tools, means of suppression and passive protection for snipers.
    The first set is designed for use at ranges up to 800 meters, the second – over 800 meters, the third – for snipers in urban police operations, and the fourth – for sniper training. The sets are being developed by a special team at the Tochmash Research Institute. The team includes instructors from Russia’s special forces who are overseeing the demands for weapons performance.

The Russian military is planning to deploy at least 1,000 snipers by 2016 to motorized rifle and tank brigades. They will be able to hit targets at a distance of 1-2 kilometers.
    The next generation of snipers will be recruited from among contract servicemen and undergo long periods of training. Last December, more than 30 Austrian-manufactured sniper rifles were adopted for service with Russia’s Airborne Forces special task units.

"Stand for the flag ~ Kneel for the fallen"

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." ~ Bruce Lee

Why not get more SVDK?
    “For there is nothing more serious than a lunatic when he comes to the central point of his lunacy.”

Max Sterner

Comment

Originally posted by Erkki View Post
      Why not get more SVDK?
      Maybe they wanted to go with smaller rifle caliber? Plus, aren't the SVDK a DMR? DM's role falls between regular infantry and a sniper, right?
      "Stand for the flag ~ Kneel for the fallen"

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." ~ Bruce Lee

Comment

Hmm I don´t think the Russian's used DM:s as Western armies use them. I might simply be mixing the term up. On a infantry level the Russians uses a sharpshooter. In Western armies that guy is usually armed with a standard assault rifle with a (better) scope. In Russia however these guys have used the SVD. Snipers usually used either a SVD or Mosin rifles and only relatively recently started receiving "true" sniper rifles such as the Sv-98

Wiki explains this good enough so I think I dare to quote them:

"Although referred to as "snipers", the Soviet Union and its allies have since World War II employed specially-equipped and trained "sharpshooting" soldiers at a section ("squad") level to increase the range of their section to 1,000 meters (1,100 yd). This is commonly accepted as the first example of what came to be known as a designated marksman as opposed to a true sniper.

Since 1963 these soldiers have been equipped with the Dragunov SVD rifle that shares all the characteristics typical of a designated marksman rifle (Semi-automatic fire, telescopic sight, chambered for standard military rifle cartridge)."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Designated_marksman
        “For there is nothing more serious than a lunatic when he comes to the central point of his lunacy.”

Max Sterner

Comment

Testing Sniper Rifle with Silencer and Flash Eliminator RIA Video

Max Sterner

Comment

Originally posted by Erkki View Post

"Although referred to as "snipers", the Soviet Union and its allies have since World War II employed specially-equipped and trained "sharpshooting" soldiers at a section ("squad") level to increase the range of their section to 1,000 meters (1,100 yd). This is commonly accepted as the first example of what came to be known as a designated marksman as opposed to a true sniper.
            That's what came to mind when I saw which weapon they are going to. I don't know: where are the true Snipers in the army structure?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
            X