Russian food

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Russian food

Here's a good introduction to the topic - an epicode from "Bizarre foods", where "bizarre" stands for "anything different from good old plain and plastic gene-engineered McFood".

I have to add this guy is extraordinary. Filming a half hour long documentary about Russia without making an exclusive focus on poor old women in rags, dirty stairwells in slums and interviews with nutty opposition freaks claiming everybody is living in horrible oppression here is a great feat of journalism. I'm surprised the Political Council (or whatever they have there) in the BBC let it slip. Maybe they did it to maintain a veneer of "objectiveness" in reporting about Russia.
    www.histours.ru

Siege of Leningrad battlefield tour

Why would the BBC do that?

And that episode is absolutely tame compared to some of them in South America or South Asia. Some of those foods are truly bizarre.

Comment

I think Anya and I have sat at that very table before @ у тещи на блинах. Most popular fast food joint though, hmm... But hot borscht in the summer? WTF??
      Кто там?
      Это я - Почтальон Печкин!
      Tunis is a Carthigenian city!

Comment

Originally posted by Stryker 19K30 View Post
        I think Anya and I have sat at that very table before @ у тещи на блинах.
        Maybe I've sat at this table too sometime - it's on Ligovsky prospekt and I've been there a few times. I like their food, but a full lunch meal turns out to be much more expensive than what you can get for a "business lunch" price at any cafe nearby.

Most popular fast food joint though, hmm...
        Yeah, seems like he needed a to say a few words to advertise the place

But hot borscht in the summer? WTF??
        Well, while most places offer cold borstch in the summer, the hot variety isn't so rare. The tourists are only offered hot borstch at tourist restaurants, cause they come to taste the real thing, you know
        www.histours.ru

Siege of Leningrad battlefield tour

Comment

Originally posted by ShAA View Post
          Maybe I've sat at this table too sometime - it's on Ligovsky prospekt and I've been there a few times. I like their food, but a full lunch meal turns out to be much more expensive than what you can get for a "business lunch" price at any cafe nearby.
          He probably paid 650-700 for all that, granted hes was sampling lots of stuff, but its a pretty expensive place to eat, for a bistro.
          Кто там?

Comment

Can you recommend a good restaurant in St.Petersburg that offers genuine Russian cuisine that won't break the bank ?
            "I dogmatise and am contradicted, and in this conflict of opinions and sentiments I find delight".
            Samuel Johnson.

Comment

I like beef Stroganoff (Бефстроганов Befstróganov)...although my sources say it is Ukrainian.

Comment

I can relate but over here the missrepresentation is almost from the opposite end.
                From what I've seen in international documentary or travel shows that come to Portugal, they take the "enthusiastic amateur" route: they don't go anywhere near our really unique, original and delicious national recipes, but absolutely love the fairly basic stuff they decide to feature on the show. What magnificent product! They used olive oil in it! Puh-lease.

And our national chefs invited to show traditional meals don't help either, because they are so used to try to be original, sophisticated and avant garde they deliver something just barely related to the actual traditional food.
                They forget the whole point is to feature the traditional portuguese cuisine to those unfamiliar to it, they can't stop trying show off...

Comment

Originally posted by BELGRAVE View Post
                  Can you recommend a good restaurant in St.Petersburg that offers genuine Russian cuisine that won't break the bank ?
                  It's hard to say, I guess it depends on the 'genuine' experience you want. I don't know if I can even answer that since Russian food isn't something my wife and I usually go out for specifically. Maybe Ёлки-Палки or something like that if you are wanting to have like "Panda Express" Russian food. But really you can go to any random bistro and get traditional Russian food, or as it is called here 'food' However, if you want a 'true' St Petersburg dining experience you need to break the bank, its the capital of an empire with a taste for extravagance.
                  Кто там?

Comment

Originally posted by Stryker 19K30 View Post
                    It's hard to say, I guess it depends on the 'genuine' experience you want. I don't know if I can even answer that since Russian food isn't something my wife and I usually go out for specifically. Maybe Ёлки-Палки or something like that if you are wanting to have like "Panda Express" Russian food. But really you can go to any random bistro and get traditional Russian food, or as it is called here 'food' However, if you want a 'true' St Petersburg dining experience you need to break the bank, its the capital of an empire with a taste for extravagance.
                    What the heck is "Panda Express" Russian food? Hot and Sour Borscht? Kung Pao Chicken Kiev? Mongolian Beef Tartar? General Zhukov's Chicken?
                    Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

Originally posted by Salinator View Post
                      What the heck is "Panda Express" Russian food? Hot and Sour Borscht? Kung Pao Chicken Kiev? Mongolian Beef Tartar? General Zhukov's Chicken?
                      Nah, like stuff you would find in a mall food court. Kung Pao Chicken Kiev sounds awesome though.
                      Кто там?

Comment

wow...No McD or BK or KFC. No Pizza Hut of Popeye's or Subway. I bet there isn't even a Long John Slivers and that is supposed to be a civilized country.
                        "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
                          wow...No McD or BK or KFC. No Pizza Hut of Popeye's or Subway. I bet there isn't even a Long John Slivers and that is supposed to be a civilized country.
                          I OTOH do love countries without McD.
                          IMO the only good that comes from it is that they provide clean toilets in public places

As for Russian cuisine, my experiences are limited but solid.
                          Most important is a date to a Russian restaurant in Amsterdam, it was an instantaneous, smashing success. Great food and ambiance and the chief treated me like he knew me. My date was duly impressed. Unfortunately the restaurant doesn't exist any longer
                          Like Cicero I do a good Boeuf Stroganoff and made it one of my specialties.
                          For further inpiration on Russian food I browse my well used Russian cookbook and learn a lot on other Russian stuff as well
                          BoRG

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.

Comment

Two great videos that gave me new insight in to Russian food today. The market looked my sort of place. It sounds like a lot of the dishes were heavy in salt or salty taste which I dislike. At least I now know that if I never go to St Petersburg I won't go hungry. The two videos only cover St Petersburg. Do places like Moscow offer the same type and quality? What about outside of the biggest cities. What is offered there?

Thanks for the thread. Really enjoyed it.

Comment

Originally posted by Cicero View Post
                              I like beef Stroganoff (Бефстроганов Befstróganov)...although my sources say it is Ukrainian.

That looks like the American Style. In the vid there were no noodles to be seen.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X