Russia to Send 3 Task Forces on Anti-Piracy Mission in 2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Russia to Send 3 Task Forces on Anti-Piracy Mission in 2013

MOSCOW, December 11 (RIA Novosti) – Russia will rotate at least three naval task forces on an anti-piracy mission in the Gulf of Aden in 2013, the Defense Ministry said.
    “The Russian Navy will continue its anti-piracy mission in the Gulf of Aden and off the Horn of Africa in 2013,” a ministry’s spokesman said on Monday. “At least three tours-of-duty in the region are scheduled.”
    A task force from Russia’s Pacific Fleet, comprising the Udaloy class destroyer Marshal Shaposhnikov, the Irkut tanker and the Alatau rescue tug boat, will join the anti-piracy mission off the Somali coast in late December.
    RIA
    “For there is nothing more serious than a lunatic when he comes to the central point of his lunacy.”

Max Sterner

Originally posted by Erkki View Post
    Just sayin'-wouldn't it be better to send a Sovremenny class instead of an Udaloy class? I believe the Sovremenny is more or less an anti-surface ship. Of course, the pirates don't exactly have real naval vessels, but the Sovremenny does have a cool 4 (2 x 2) 130 mm/5.1" guns.

Or maybe it's just a matter of availability.
    "A foolish man thinks he knows everything if placed in unexpected difficulty; but he knows not what to answer, if to the test he is put."

--Hávamál

Comment

Because of the large patrol area and the need to spot small boats, the ship's helicopters are the most important asset for this mission.

My two cents.
      Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.

Questions about our site? See the FAQ.

Comment

Originally posted by GCoyote View Post
        Because of the large patrol area and the need to spot small boats, the ship's helicopters are the most important asset for this mission.

My two cents.
        Ah very true-I overlooked this. The Udaloy looks like it has 2 helos as opposed to 1 for the Sovremenny.
        "A foolish man thinks he knows everything if placed in unexpected difficulty; but he knows not what to answer, if to the test he is put."

--Hávamál

Comment

Every little bit helps. Since the article does not say I assume the task force is operating independent of the other two major forces in the region.
          Boston Strong!

Comment

I was under the impression that all of the units participating in counter-piracy were more or less working together. There is plenty of ocean needing to be patrolled. Not sure how it gets divvied up though.
            Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.

Questions about our site? See the FAQ.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• casanova
              Berlin.1945
              by casanova
              The Sowjet T-34 tank against a German Tiger tank in Berlin in the II World War in 1945. ...
              Yesterday, 23:41
            • casanova
              AW 169M
              by casanova
              The Austrian minister of defence Klaudia Tanner declared the buy of 18 Italian military helicopters of the type AW 169M for the Austrian army, the Bundesheer....
              Yesterday, 23:26
            • JBark
              What changed?
              by JBark
              There was a time not too long ago when this forum was full of discussion, multiple posts, votes and involved discussions on the best of the war, etc.,...
              Yesterday, 18:54
            Working...
            X