US may soon scrap Cold War trade restrictions on Russia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US may soon scrap Cold War trade restrictions on Russia

The US Congress may soon end Cold War-era trade sanctions by voting to give companies greater access to Russia’s developing market. Republican leaders had previously blocked the issue from going to a vote, despite Russia’s accession into the WTO.

The House Rules Committee is set to meet on Tuesday to discuss the establishment of “permanent normal trade relations” with Russia, paving the way for a vote at the end of this week.

The removal of the outmoded restrictions on Russian trade, introduced almost 40 years ago, has been strongly advocated by business groups. However, lawmakers were reticent to push the matter in the run-up to the US elections.

The restrictions have become little more than a formality in US-Russian trade, given that they have been consistently waived for the last 23 years.

RT
    “For there is nothing more serious than a lunatic when he comes to the central point of his lunacy.”

Max Sterner

Good news. It's only been 21 years since the Soviet Union was dissolved and the CPSU was banned by Yeltsin. Seems like the entire Congress is made up of people who still have no idea if Russia is Communist or not, just like that American tourist who asked me this question with deadly seriousness this summer.

Yeah, and brought to you by exactly the same guys who claim that "Putin is stuck in Cold War mentality"
    www.histours.ru

Siege of Leningrad battlefield tour

Comment

Seems like the entire Congress is made up of people who still have no idea
      "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

And the amazing part is the number of these blowhards that get re-elected year-after-year.

Anyway, that will be one less bit of red tape to cut through although I'm sure there is much more that could be done.
        Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.

Questions about our site? See the FAQ.

Comment

If you think the average American tourist is clueless, our congressmen are a hundred times worse.

Comment

Originally posted by Erkki View Post
            There are still trade restrictions?.....

Comment

Originally posted by ShAA View Post
              Good news. It's only been 21 years since the Soviet Union was dissolved and the CPSU was banned by Yeltsin. Seems like the entire Congress is made up of people who still have no idea if Russia is Communist or not, just like that American tourist who asked me this question with deadly seriousness this summer.

Yeah, and brought to you by exactly the same guys who claim that "Putin is stuck in Cold War mentality"

What was the question?

Comment

The US Congress may soon end Cold War-era trade sanctions by voting to give companies greater access to Russia’s developing market. Republican leaders had previously blocked the issue from going to a vote, despite Russia’s accession into the WTO.

The WTO... I thought I smelled a Rat, and it appears to be wearing UN colors.
                "Sure, sign up with the WTO and you'll get anything you want."
                Uh huh... sure.
                I went on a rant when I heard Putin did that, I guess now we know why.

The restrictions have become little more than a formality in US-Russian trade, given that they have been consistently waived for the last 23 years.
                Well well well, so it's a case of much ado about nothing, again?
                Looks like somebody got suckered.

Comment

Originally posted by The Exorcist View Post
                  The WTO... I thought I smelled a Rat, and it appears to be wearing UN colors.
                  "Sure, sign up with the WTO and you'll get anything you want."
                  Uh huh... sure.
                  I went on a rant when I heard Putin did that, I guess now we know why.

Well well well, so it's a case of much ado about nothing, again?
                  Looks like somebody got suckered.
                  Actually, the US pushed for it, and it pushed quite hard.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...85J12Q20120620

If the Jackson-Vanik provision is not lifted, Russia would be entitled under WTO rules to deny U.S. companies the market-opening benefits it made to join the WTO, Kirk said.

"We could be paying tariffs sometimes double what other countries are paying," Kirk said.

Kirk also urged Congress to pass a "clean bill that enables us to maintain our competitive edge," in reference to the desire of many lawmakers to attach human rights legislation that U.S. companies fear could also hurt their exports to Russia.
                  Trade relations between the United States and Russia have been governed since 1974 by the Jackson-Vanik amendment. That measure made favorable U.S. tariff rates for Russian products conditional on the rights of Jews and other religious minorities to emigrate freely.

There is wide recognition that emigration is no longer a problem in Russia, but many U.S. lawmakers are loathe to repeal Jackson-Vanik for Russia without replacing it with new legislation to pressure Moscow on human rights.

At the same time, the provision is inconsistent with WTO rules that all members provide each other the same degree of market access on a unconditional basis.
                  Here comes the answer. These guys are SO stuck in the Cold War they are going to hurt US financial interests in order to enjoy hurting Russia. All the while trading with Chinese Communists like there's no tomorrow.

Of all Americans here you're ironically the only one who would appreciate and understand their stance. After all, Russia has always been evil and needs to be pressured indefinitely, unlike these cutey Chinese pandas which are cool to trade with even if they are 1000000 times more oppressive, eh?
                  www.histours.ru

Siege of Leningrad battlefield tour

Comment

Actually there is an Export Control law for both military and dual use technologies which applies to all non-allies. That side steps the WTO issue as it does not discriminate against Russia.

Comment

Actually, the US pushed for it, and it pushed quite hard.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...85J12Q20120620

Here comes the answer. These guys are SO stuck in the Cold War they are going to hurt US financial interests in order to enjoy hurting Russia. All the while trading with Chinese Communists like there's no tomorrow.

Of all Americans here you're ironically the only one who would appreciate and understand their stance. After all, Russia has always been evil and needs to be pressured indefinitely, unlike these cutey Chinese pandas which are cool to trade with even if they are 1000000 times more oppressive, eh?
                      You guys need to buy more US treasuries, that should do the trick...

Comment

You can buy russian guns on the civilian market, I would have thought if anything was banned it would be that considering the chinese gun manufacturer norinco's products are no longer imported.

Comment

Originally posted by GunNutUSMC View Post
                          You can buy russian guns on the civilian market, I would have thought if anything was banned it would be that considering the chinese gun manufacturer norinco's products are no longer imported.
                          You can buy Russian anything there is a market for considering they are pretty much always waived. But still, Congress removed the PRC from coverage of Jackson–Vanik in its lead up to WTO membership. I thought the Chinese were who the pop-activists that congress listens to were the main devil with their feasting on Tibetan children on Chinese New Year or whatever.
                          Кто там?
                          Это я - Почтальон Печкин!
                          Tunis is a Carthigenian city!

Comment

Originally posted by Stryker 19K30 View Post
                            You can buy Russian anything there is a market for considering they are pretty much always waived. But still, Congress removed the PRC from coverage of Jackson–Vanik in its lead up to WTO membership. I thought the Chinese were who the pop-activists that congress listens to were the main devil with their feasting on Tibetan children on Chinese New Year or whatever.
                            Apparently WalMart has more political influence than we like to think.

Comment

Jeez, don't you have a gear that isn't maximum overdrive?
                              As the OP said, its a rule that is never enforced, yet all of a sudden it's a big deal?
                              Must be election time over there again...
                              And when was the last time you guys let go of a single scrap of paper without demanding something in return for it?
                              Seems as if our guys are finally getting smart, and have stopped letting things go for nothing but a song and a dance.

As for the Chinese;
                              Originally posted by GCoyote View Post
                              Apparently WalMart has more political influence than we like to think.
                              Scary, isn't it?
                              Of course, like I have been saying for years, if Russia had real internal prosperity and was producing some worthwhile export products they would have the same leverage that China does. Might even make itself the kind of place that the ex-satellites would want closer ties with.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X