Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trump's Attempts to Undermine the November Election

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Trump's Attempts to Undermine the November Election

    Trump's underhanded attempt to hobble the US Postal Service is only one facet of the plot:

    https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...988_story.html

    AS HE trails in the polls, President Trump is laying the groundwork to dismiss a loss this November. He fumed last week that “dangerous” mail-in voting will result in a “crooked,” “inaccurate” and “fraudulent” vote — “the most rigged election in history.” The result could be that “you never even know who won the election,” he warned.
    Mr. Trump has no rational basis for his claims. Voting by mail presents logistical and administrative challenges, but it has been proved safe in blue states and red states alike. Yet this coronavirus-inflected election will feel different from what many Americans are used to, and Mr. Trump will exploit that reality to sow doubt about the results — for his own benefit, even if it corrodes faith in U.S. democracy.

    The best antidote is for states to prepare now, both for increased mail-in voting and for safe in-person voting; and for Congress to give them the funds to do so, which so far Republicans are resisting.
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
    Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
    To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

  • #2
    Is it true that if mail in ballots aren't delivered by election day then they are null and void?

    Comment


    • #3
      Why is no one defending Trump's sabotage of the postal system so he can cheat to win the election?

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Massena View Post
        Trump's underhanded attempt to hobble the US Postal Service is only one facet of the plot:

        https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...988_story.html

        AS HE trails in the polls, President Trump is laying the groundwork to dismiss a loss this November. He fumed last week that “dangerous” mail-in voting will result in a “crooked,” “inaccurate” and “fraudulent” vote — “the most rigged election in history.” The result could be that “you never even know who won the election,” he warned.
        Mr. Trump has no rational basis for his claims. Voting by mail presents logistical and administrative challenges, but it has been proved safe in blue states and red states alike. Yet this coronavirus-inflected election will feel different from what many Americans are used to, and Mr. Trump will exploit that reality to sow doubt about the results — for his own benefit, even if it corrodes faith in U.S. democracy.

        The best antidote is for states to prepare now, both for increased mail-in voting and for safe in-person voting; and for Congress to give them the funds to do so, which so far Republicans are resisting.
        Here in Canada we have had mail in voting for years with no problem.......Isnt Trump a bit of a two face as he has reported mailing his vote in from Florida

        Comment


        • #5
          Why do people conflate mail in voting with absentee ballots?
          We hunt the hunters

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by wolfhnd View Post
            Why do people conflate mail in voting with absentee ballots?
            Would it be presumptuous of me to state that you support Trump sabotaging the postal service in order to win reelection?

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Bow View Post
              .......Isnt Trump a bit of a two face as he has reported mailing his vote in from Florida
              The hell you say!
              I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by wolfhnd View Post
                Why do people conflate mail in voting with absentee ballots?
                Then please explain the difference.
                We are not now that strength which in old days
                Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
                Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
                To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I sympathize with the Trump supporters on this one, it's very difficult for them to defend.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Sparlingo View Post
                    I sympathize with the Trump supporters on this one, it's very difficult for them to defend.
                    This is one of those classic bullsht political issues, like national debt, drugs, or prostitution: we all know whose doing it -- which is everybody -- but we all prefer to wag our fingers in others faces with faux righteous indignation. Come on here to New York, and I'll show you electoral fraud on an industrial scale -- and a whole passel of incumbents, Democrats and Republicans both -- who won't so much as hold a press conference about it. All of the Hasidim are registered to vote in two places. once in their year-round homes in Brooklyn, and again in their summer communities in Rockland, Orange, and Sullivan counties. To the best of my knowledge, there's been but a single figure prosecuted: a Catskill real estate developer who ran afoul of the rebbes and failed to grease the local politicos' palms. That's it. As a native New Yorker, Trump is well aware of it, so for him to cry about mail-in voter fraud now is a complete joke.
                    I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Here's more Trump election interference. Interfering with mail delivery is a federal crime-a felony.

                      https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...?ocid=msedgdhp

                      President Donald Trump on Thursday said his team was rejecting Democrats' bid to include funds for the U.S. Postal Service and to shore up election infrastructure in a new coronavirus relief bill, as he vowed to block money to facilitate mail-in voting.

                      Congressional Democrats accused Trump of trying to damage the struggling Postal Service in an effort to improve his chances of being re-elected in November.

                      The Republican president has been railing against mail-in ballots for months as a possible source of fraud, although there is little evidence it takes place and millions of Americans - including much of the military - have used the post office to cast absentee ballots for years.

                      Trump said his negotiators have resisted Democrats' calls for additional money to help prepare for presidential, congressional and local voting during a pandemic that has killed more than 165,000 Americans and presented severe logistical challenges to organizing large events like the Nov. 3 election.

                      Interfering with the US Mail:

                      https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/1703


                      We are not now that strength which in old days
                      Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
                      Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
                      To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Massena View Post

                        Then please explain the difference.
                        Absentee ballots are for those whom are unable to go to a polling place/station and vote in person on election day. Such as those whom may be out of area due to business trips or military assignment. This applies only in states where there are still physical polling places where the voters physically go, show ID, get checked to the rolls for their precinct, get a ballot and go to a booth to fill it out and drop into the ballot box.

                        Mail-in is a system where one receives their ballot in the mail, usually about 2-3 weeks prior to the election date, and can then fill it out and return either by mail (postmarked by the date of election at latest) or drop into ballot boxes scattered about their area/county. Given tendency sometimes for things to get "lost" or delayed by USPS, many prefer to use the drop boxes. Mail-in voting does push back final count of an election by several days while waiting to get all ballots received and counted.

                        We have mail-in voting in my state, Washington, for several years now.

                        Major issues related to mail-in are that some one else could fill out the ballot and sign it, or fill it out for the "voter" and then have them sign, maybe not knowing how it was marked (such as in senior center homes/facilities).

                        Another related issue is that these go to persons on the register of voters, so if there was fraud in registering to vote, there is little opportunity to re-check for that such as would occur with in-person at polling places where one might have to show photo ID.
                        TANSTAAFL = There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch
                        “War is merely the continuation of politics by other means” - von Clausewitz
                        Present Current Events are the Future's History

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by G David Bock View Post

                          Absentee ballots are for those whom are unable to go to a polling place/station and vote in person on election day. Such as those whom may be out of area due to business trips or military assignment. This applies only in states where there are still physical polling places where the voters physically go, show ID, get checked to the rolls for their precinct, get a ballot and go to a booth to fill it out and drop into the ballot box.

                          Mail-in is a system where one receives their ballot in the mail, usually about 2-3 weeks prior to the election date, and can then fill it out and return either by mail (postmarked by the date of election at latest) or drop into ballot boxes scattered about their area/county. Given tendency sometimes for things to get "lost" or delayed by USPS, many prefer to use the drop boxes. Mail-in voting does push back final count of an election by several days while waiting to get all ballots received and counted.

                          We have mail-in voting in my state, Washington, for several years now.

                          Major issues related to mail-in are that some one else could fill out the ballot and sign it, or fill it out for the "voter" and then have them sign, maybe not knowing how it was marked (such as in senior center homes/facilities).

                          Another related issue is that these go to persons on the register of voters, so if there was fraud in registering to vote, there is little opportunity to re-check for that such as would occur with in-person at polling places where one might have to show photo ID.
                          I have already explained that there is signature verification for mail in voting. So, a misplaced ballot requires that the person who chooses to sign and send it knows how to forge the signature of the real voter. And in order to have such thing pass undetected, it also requires that the real voter chooses not to vote or report the issue of the misplaced ballot which will turn out to expose the fact that there are two votes under the same registered voter.


                          Second issue applies to absentee voting
                          My most dangerous mission: I landed in the middle of an enemy tank battalion and I immediately, started spraying bullets killing everybody around me having fun up until my computer froze...

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            By the way, TX has a mail-in voting option for those who are over 65 years old and nobody complains about the fraud in the republican dominated Texas.

                            https://www.sos.texas.gov/elections/voter/reqabbm.shtml

                            Application for a Ballot by Mail


                            To be eligible to vote early by mail in Texas, you must:
                            • be 65 years or older;
                            • be disabled;
                            • be out of the county on election day and during the period for early voting by personal appearance; or
                            • be confined in jail, but otherwise eligible.
                            And the application process to receive the ballot is exactly the same


                            Instructions for submitting an Application for Ballot by Mail (“ABBM”):
                            1. Print (PDF) the ABBM form
                            2. OR submit an order online and an ABBM will be mailed to you.
                            3. Complete Sections 1 through 8.
                            4. Sign and Date Section 10.
                            5. If you were unable to sign the application and someone witnessed your signature, that person must complete Section 11.
                            6. If someone helped you complete the application or mailed the application for you, that person must complete Section 11.
                            7. Affix postage.
                              1. If you printed the application you must place it in your own envelope and add postage.
                              2. If you ordered the application online and it was mailed to you - fold the application in half, moisten top tab, seal and add postage.
                            8. Address and mail the completed ABBM to the Early Voting Clerk in your county. You may also fax the application if a fax machine is available in the early voting clerk’s office. You also have the option of submitting a scanned copy of the completed and signed application to the Early Voting Clerk via email. If an ABBM is faxed or emailed, then the original, hard copy of the application MUST be mailed and received by the early voting clerk no later than the 4th business day.
                              1. The Early Voting Clerk is the County Clerk or Elections Administrator for your county
                              2. Contact information, including fax numbers if available, and email addresses for the Early Voting Clerks are available on this website.

                            The hypocrisy of (mainly) older white conservatives is obvious
                            My most dangerous mission: I landed in the middle of an enemy tank battalion and I immediately, started spraying bullets killing everybody around me having fun up until my computer froze...

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by G David Bock View Post

                              Absentee ballots are for those whom are unable to go to a polling place/station and vote in person on election day. Such as those whom may be out of area due to business trips or military assignment. This applies only in states where there are still physical polling places where the voters physically go, show ID, get checked to the rolls for their precinct, get a ballot and go to a booth to fill it out and drop into the ballot box.

                              Mail-in is a system where one receives their ballot in the mail, usually about 2-3 weeks prior to the election date, and can then fill it out and return either by mail (postmarked by the date of election at latest) or drop into ballot boxes scattered about their area/county. Given tendency sometimes for things to get "lost" or delayed by USPS, many prefer to use the drop boxes. Mail-in voting does push back final count of an election by several days while waiting to get all ballots received and counted.

                              We have mail-in voting in my state, Washington, for several years now.

                              Major issues related to mail-in are that some one else could fill out the ballot and sign it, or fill it out for the "voter" and then have them sign, maybe not knowing how it was marked (such as in senior center homes/facilities).

                              Another related issue is that these go to persons on the register of voters, so if there was fraud in registering to vote, there is little opportunity to re-check for that such as would occur with in-person at polling places where one might have to show photo ID.
                              Same rules, same ballots. They are the same thing.
                              We are not now that strength which in old days
                              Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
                              Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
                              To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

                              Comment

                              Latest Topics

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X