Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reality TV - Reflecting or Shaping USAmerica Culture ???

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reality TV - Reflecting or Shaping USAmerica Culture ???

Topic could go in a media sub-forum, but might fit well here. A lead off article related;
    The revealing and disturbing story of America, told through 20 years of reality dating shows
    If you are looking for the exact moment when American culture went off the rails that it has never managed to climb back on, may we offer a singular scene on television from Feb. 15, 2000: a man in a tuxedo, bent down on one knee, proposing to a total stranger in a wedding gown. She tearfully accepts while four other women, also wearing wedding dresses, shuffle off the stage.

The nearly 23 million viewers who tuned into “Who Wants to Marry a Multi-Millionaire?” were simultaneously riveted and horrified. But most importantly, there were 23 million of them. This would not be a one-time phenomenon, but rather the origin story for a new genre, the “reality dating show.” (When the deep human need for companionship and money-hungry Hollywood executives love each other very much …)

Since then, millions upon millions of people have spent many hours of their lives enraptured by these shows, which continue to proliferate with no sign of slowing down, like an invasive species that has become part of our natural environment. How did this happen? And what has 20 years of watching these spectacles — singles hooking up, couples breaking up and aspiring Instagram influencers melting down, all in the name of finding “love” — done to us?
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/arts-...y/?arc404=true
    TANSTAAFL = There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch
    “War is merely the continuation of politics by other means” - von Clausewitz
    Present Current Events are the Future's History

I wuold say both, since it reinforces those behavior patterns.

Comment

First off, reality tv shows are a dying breed. They remain cheap soap opera style shows, but their best days are gone already. Secondly, saying that america went off the rails with them is...selling you what you want, just like reality show are selling to people what they want (to see).
      Thirdly, it's neither reflection nor shaping, it's entertainment.
      Wisdom is personal

Comment

Originally posted by Karri View Post
        First off, reality tv shows are a dying breed. They remain cheap soap opera style shows, but their best days are gone already. Secondly, saying that america went off the rails with them is...selling you what you want, just like reality show are selling to people what they want (to see).
        Your response beat me to it.

Anyone who thinks trash tv started with reality shows doesn't remember Maury Povich, Geraldo, or other shows.

As for when America went off the rails, if it has, as an alternative I'd point to the early 80's when the powers that be not only signaled it was ok to screw over employees and citizens to pump stock prices, they actively encouraged it. "Greed is good".

Comment

Originally posted by DingBat View Post

Your response beat me to it.

Anyone who thinks trash tv started with reality shows doesn't remember Maury Povich, Geraldo, or other shows.

As for when America went off the rails, if it has, as an alternative I'd point to the early 80's when the powers that be not only signaled it was ok to screw over employees and citizens to pump stock prices, they actively encouraged it. "Greed is good".
          Well said!

But let's not forget the pride of Cincinnati, Ohio, its former mayor, Jerry Springer. Had several basic types of conflicts, often involving cheating, heterosexual or otherwise, but almost always involving the bald Chicago cop/bouncer/bodyguard breaking up the "fight" while the cloud laughed, and chortled, and oohed, and aaahed, etc.

From you tube: Lesbians Wrestling in Apple Sauce!

When we yet young!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pbSyCfQ6YE

Jerr --eee! Jerr-eee! Jerr-eee!

Comment

Originally posted by lakechampainer View Post

Well said!

But let's not forget the pride of Cincinnati, Ohio, its former mayor, Jerry Springer. Had several basic types of conflicts, often involving cheating, heterosexual or otherwise, but almost always involving the bald Chicago cop/bouncer/bodyguard breaking up the "fight" while the cloud laughed, and chortled, and oohed, and aaahed, etc.

From you tube: Lesbians Wrestling in Apple Sauce!

When we yet young!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pbSyCfQ6YE

Jerr --eee! Jerr-eee! Jerr-eee!
            And I feel sorry for any Fool that watched or liked these shows, but Hey, taste is taste, I used to make fun of the people that read the Tabloids at the Grocery Store Checkout and believed what was in them, but now I give them a wide birth and stay away from them, because the scare me!
            Trying hard to be the Man, that my Dog believes I am!

Comment

Originally posted by G David Bock View Post

what has 20 years of watching these spectacles — singles hooking up, couples breaking up and aspiring Instagram influencers melting down, all in the name of finding “love” — done to us?
              l]
              Calling them reality shows is a gross misnomer.

I don't know about your viewing habits. The so called reality programs have no effect on me since I don't watch them. Most Americans don't either.

I can't say that the people I know who watch those shows are affected by them.

My wife and some of her friends enjoys the "wives with knives" type shows . She and her friends seems to have little inclination to be influenced by these shows.
              "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" Beatrice Evelyn Hall
              Updated for the 21st century... except if you are criticizing islam, that scares the $hii+e out of me!

Comment

Originally posted by lakechampainer View Post
                But let's not forget the pride of Cincinnati, Ohio, its former mayor, Jerry Springer.
                On the other hand, let's forget springer.

Please don't blame the Queen City of the West for him. He was born in England, and mostly raised in NYC. He was only mayor of Cincinnati for a year when mayor was largely a ceremonial position with little power.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" Beatrice Evelyn Hall
                Updated for the 21st century... except if you are criticizing islam, that scares the $hii+e out of me!

Comment

Originally posted by 17thfabn View Post

Calling them reality shows is a gross misnomer.

I don't know about your viewing habits. The so called reality programs have no effect on me since I don't watch them. Most Americans don't either.

I can't say that the people I know who watch those shows are affected by them.

My wife and some of her friends enjoys the "wives with knives" type shows . She and her friends seems to have little inclination to be influenced by these shows.
                  FWIW, the text of the Opening Post I presented is from the linked article (not my words or viewpoint). I rarely watched any of those shows mentioned other than maybe once or twice for a couple.

Some Americans must, as one is mentioned having a viewership of about 20 million.
                  Also, there are other types not mentioned in the OP or much by others, such as cooking shows, home remodel/improvement, and likely other formats; especially if one tosses in YouTube.

Comment

FWIW, the text of the Opening Post I presented is from the linked article (not my words or viewpoint). I rarely watched any of those shows mentioned other than maybe once or twice for a couple.

Some Americans must, as one is mentioned having a viewership of about 20 million.
                    Also, there are other types not mentioned in the OP or much by others, such as cooking shows, home remodel/improvement, and likely other formats; especially if one tosses in YouTube.
                    So about 6 % of the US population?

I don't think there is too much worry about the effect cooking shows and home improvement shows have. Although with COVID-19 there has been a run on paint and flour.

Comment

So about 6 % of the US population?

I don't think there is too much worry about the effect cooking shows and home improvement shows have. Although with COVID-19 there has been a run on paint and flour.
                      Not 100% of the population watch TV. We don't in my household. Also, small percentage can still have an impact, such as those whom watched "Dallas" or "Dynasty" long ago, or more recently "Big Bang Theory". Or say "Friends" or "Seinfeld". Then are the effects of other media as well, even with "small" percentage of viewers/readers/listeners, etc.

Nielsen ratings
                      Ratings/share and total viewers

The most commonly cited Nielsen results are reported in two measurements: ratings points and share, usually reported as: "ratings points/share". There were 119.6 million TV homes in the U.S. for the 2017–18 TV season (Nielsen's National Television Household Universe Estimates).[7] The number of persons age 2 and older in U.S. TV households is estimated to be 304.5 million. A single national ratings point represents 1% of the total number. Nielsen re-estimates the number of television-equipped households each August for the upcoming television season.[8]

Share is the percentage of television sets in use, Households Using Television (HUT) or Persons Using Television (PUT) who are tuned to a specific program, station or network in a specific area at a specific time.[9][10] For example, Nielsen may report a show as receiving a 4.4/8 during its broadcast; this would mean that 4.4% of all television-equipped households (that is to say homes with a TV set, not total number of people), regardless of the TV being on or not, were tuned in to that program, while 8% of households that were watching TV at that time were watching the specific program.[11]

Because ratings are based on samples, it is possible for shows to get a 0.0 rating, despite having an audience; the CNBC talk show McEnroe was one notable example.[12] Another example is The CW show, CW Now, which received two 0.0 ratings in the same season. In 2014, Nielsen reported that American viewership of live television (totaling on average four hours and 32 minutes per day) had dropped 12 minutes per day compared to the year before. Nielsen reported several reasons for the shift away from live television: increased viewership of time-shifted television (mainly through DVRs) and viewership of internet video (clips from video sharing websites and streams of full-length television shows).
                      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nielsen_ratings
                      What's even more interesting to amusing is the range of responses and tangents taken with a thread like this (see some of the above) ....

Comment

Originally posted by Karri View Post
                        Survivors and similar shows are popping up all over the DISH this summer, including those adult competition versions which include such diverse shows as Forged In Fire all the to the other side of the spectrum with Cannonball, and those incredibly annoying Real Houswives/Cops/Whatever of (insert city here), a whole boatload of cooking channels, a ton of auto repair and customizing shows (an entire 24 hour channel of 'em!) to such end alimentary products as Keeping Up With The Kardashians. I wish they would go away.

When you suffer from chronic insomnia, you get a real look at what is on television after prime time. It ain't pretty!

Last edited by Mountain Man; 10 Aug 20, 16:27.

Comment

Not 100% of the population watch TV. We don't in my household. Also, small percentage can still have an impact, such as those whom watched "Dallas" or "Dynasty" long ago, or more recently "Big Bang Theory". Or say "Friends" or "Seinfeld". Then are the effects of other media as well, even with "small" percentage of viewers/readers/listeners, etc.

t:
                          I watched Seinfeld, Big Bang Theory and Friends.

I have seen almost every episode of Seinfeld and Big Bang Theory. They are two of the funniest sitcoms in TV history. What kind of effect do you think they had on me?

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

Survivors and similar shows are popping up all over the DISH this summer, including those adult competition versions which include such diverse shows as Forged In Fire all the to the other side of the spectrum with Cannonball, and those incredibly annoying Real Houswives/Cops/Whatever of (insert city here), a whole boatload of cooking channels, a ton of auto repair and customizing shows (an entire 24 hour channel of 'em!) to such end alimentary products as Keeping Up With The Kardashians. I wish they would go away.

When you suffer from chronic insomnia, you get a real look at what is on television after prime time. It ain't pretty!
                            Supposedly the "reality series" are cheaper to make than scripted TV.

If you have insomnia I find golfing shows very soothing.

Comment

I watched Seinfeld, Big Bang Theory and Friends.

I have seen almost every episode of Seinfeld and Big Bang Theory. They are two of the funniest sitcoms in TV history. What kind of effect do you think they had on me?
                              Maybe you should tell us...?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X