This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Voting by Mail

I don't see any problem with voting by mail, especially as five states have already been doing it and the Chairman of the Federal Election Commission has no problem with it.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...?ocid=msedgdhp

President Trump’s unfounded attacks on mail balloting are discouraging his own supporters from embracing the practice, according to polls and Republican leaders across the country, prompting growing alarm that one of the central strategies of his campaign is threatening GOP prospects in November.

Multiple public surveys show a growing divide between Democrats and Republicans about the security of voting by mail, with Republicans saying they are far less likely to trust it in November. In addition, party leaders in several states said they are encountering resistance among GOP voters who are being encouraged to vote absentee while also seeing the president describe mail voting as “rigged” and “fraudulent.”

As a result, state and local Republicans across the country fear they are falling dramatically behind in a practice that is expected to be key to voter turnout this year. Through mailers and Facebook ads, they are racing to promote absentee balloting among their own.
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
    Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
    To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

I mailed in my primary ballot a few weeks ago. I'd have liked to have voted in person but the Michigan primary is tomorrow and I have a colonoscopy scheduled. That's the one thing that's worse than voting. Not so much the procedure as the prep, which I start in about 40 minutes...

Comment

Originally posted by johns624 View Post
      I mailed in my primary ballot a few weeks ago. I'd have liked to have voted in person but the Michigan primary is tomorrow and I have a colonoscopy scheduled. That's the one thing that's worse than voting. Not so much the procedure as the prep, which I start in about 40 minutes...
      My condolences. My family has a history of colon cancer so I've had a colonoscopy every few years since turning 40. The prep is definitely a pain in the ass (doh) but it's much, much better than it used to be. I find adding flavor crystals gets rid of a lot of that electrolyte taste.

Comment

Originally posted by Massena View Post
        I don't see any problem with voting by mail
        To be clear, absentee voting is not the same that the left is pushing right now.

This is from only one city...and only 400,000 ballots:

Now, nearly six weeks later, two closely watched congressional races remain undecided, and major delays in counting a deluge of 400,000 mail-in ballots and other problems are being cited as examples of the challenges facing the nation as it looks toward conducting the November general election during the pandemic.

Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo and other officials are trading blame for the botched counting in the city, and the Postal Service is coming under criticism over whether it is equipped to handle the sharp increase in absentee ballots.

Election lawyers said one area of concern in New York City was that mail-in ballots have prepaid return envelopes. The Postal Service apparently had difficulty processing some of them correctly and, as a result, an unknown number of votes — perhaps thousands — may have been wrongfully disqualified because of a lack of a postmark.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/03/n...ts-voting.html

"I don't discuss sitting presidents," Mattis tells NPR in an interview. "I believe that you owe a period of quiet."

Comment

Originally posted by DingBat View Post

My condolences. My family has a history of colon cancer so I've had a colonoscopy every few years since turning 40. The prep is definitely a pain in the ass (doh) but it's much, much better than it used to be. I find adding flavor crystals gets rid of a lot of that electrolyte taste.
          Yeah, we have a history of it in our family, too. I had my 5yr one last year and they found a good sized polyp, according to the Gastro. Luckily, he has me use Miralax in Gatorade instead of the Golytely. If I'm clean this time, I go to 3 years.

Comment

Colonoscopy prep is a quick way to shed 5-10 pounds. My wife tells me she remembers the supermodel's 'hand book' recommended it for before shoots.
            ARRRR! International Talk Like A Pirate Day - September 19th
            IN MARE IN COELO

Comment

There's a difference between absentee ballot and a generic mail in ballot. We do not want a nationwide generic mail in ballot. If there's any reason why you need to vote by mail, THEN APPLY FOR AN ABSENTEE BALLOT! This has been available to everyone, JUST APPLY. There is a process in place ALREADY. Kapeesh?

All this talk about mail in ballots as if we don't offer that ALREADY.

“Someone who doesn’t know is less stupid than someone who wrongly think he knows."

Comment

Just for comparison... Here in all elections you have a free choice to vote either at the election day or in early voting. There is a slight difference between eligibility in certain elections for non-citizens. Other than that you do not need to register for anything. Photo-ID is required and if you do not have any the local authorities are required by law to provide one without any expenses for the voting purposes (it is invalid for anything else). Election day voting takes place at your assigned 'election post' but early voting can take place where ever a early voting post happens to be (for example in malls, libraries, community centers, post officers, consulates, embassies etc.), there are usually quite a few of places for this. For example for me it is has been really easy and convenient to vote when visiting local mall.

By mail voting is rarity (and new thing) but possible as it requires separately ordering the necessary material beforehand (only available for those living permanently abroad). However if you are living in Finland and can not use other options (election day voting, early voting, voting in institution (hospital, elder care homes, prisons, etc), voting as crew of a ship) then you can 'order' the voting officials to visit you at your home (certain preconditions exist to prevent abuse of that option).

How does the US system differ from that? Roughly speaking that is, as i guess each state has rules with slightly different flavor.
                It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion, it is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed. The hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X