This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lakechampainer View Post
    A Federal appeals Court overturns Marathon Bomber Tsarnaev's Death Sentence. Perfectly Predictable. Could see this coming 7 years ago. Link below.

https://apnews.com/af38a703ab88fe922629dcc254cb41df

Some Thoughts

1. He got a fair trail. HE PLED GUILTY.

2. Everyone knows he was guilty.

3. The plan all along - as admitted by the government-paid defense lawyers who earned millions - was to play the long game to get an overturn decision at some point. (Which of course delays justice, even if the sentence would be eventually carried out).

4. IF YOU CAN'T A FAIR TRAIL BECAUSE EVERYONE IN THE JURY POOL KNOWS ABOUT IT, ALL YOU HAVE TO DO TO GET OFF IS TO COMMIT A NOTORIOUS, HORRIBLE, CRIME.

=================================================

Link to thread about the verdict in 2015 (attack in 2013)

https://forums.armchairgeneral.com/f...arathon-bomber
    I’m against the death penalty as I believe is required by my Catholic religion. Thats my opinion and others will agree or disagree whether we are talking about the young brother or Charles Manson for example. There are a number of laws in place that American citizens do not have the power to overturn unless they appeal to politicians. Even then sometimes the laws don’t get changed as people see fit. For example with regards to making abortion illegal throughout the United States or overturning the death penalty.

And I would imagine that Republicans who say all lives matter are also against the death penalty but a lot of those folks are hypocrites. They are against abortion but for the death penalty. So I’m not talking about you here lake but specifically the Republicans who have recently been chanting all lives matter. I take it you approve of the death penalty.

isn’t the younger brother in 24 seven solitary lockdown? That is some of the worst jail time anybody could ever do.

I don’t think the two brothers were mistreated in America. They were both violent criminals and many would argue that a lifetime languishing in jail is much worse than a quick death penalty.

aside from that how are the defense lawyers getting paid millions of dollars from the government? That is very upsetting to hear. Are these not public defendants ? Don’t public defendants make very little?

And finally I have not seen media outlets show sympathy for the two brothers. If any of them did that is disgraceful
    Long live the Lionheart! Please watch this video
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=jRDwlR4zbEM
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3DBaY0RsxU
    Accept the challenges so that you can feel the exhilaration of victory.

George S Patton

Comment

The supposed informants or alleged informants were the victims of the Waltham triple murder.

And again, Tsarnaev was sentenced to death. He should already have been executed.

The jury had a choice. They deliberated and returned with a death sentence.

I refuse to go along with, well, it was his brother, life is worse than death, they were discriminated against because they were Muslims etc. x 98
      What’s the Waltham triple murder ? Was that related to the Boston bomber ?

OK I get your point. But I don’t think the two brothers were shown sympathy from Muslims anymore than Jim Jones was shown sympathy from Christians.

And we know how it is in our country with the death penalty. Even if somebody gets sentenced to death through the appeals process it could take decades for them to actually have a sentence carried out.

George S Patton

Comment

Originally posted by Judith View Post
        Dont get me wrong, i am not against your peoples urge to kill murderers. All i stated was, that i dont think that a life in prison is neccessarily better than being dead. I get that for some reason this case is important for you. When i read what you say why his death penalty was changed, its because its impossible to find an independent jury which hasnt heard about his crimes before. So obviously, your law is flawed as this dude is a convicted terrorist who killed several people. What i dont get though is why "elites" have anything to do with this flawed law? If a judge decides to his "favour" (which i still dont think it is) its the law thats flawed. Where do elites come in, in this case?
        Well, on a related Marathon case, in the trial of the after-the-fact accomplices, former Massachusetts governor and, incredibly, 1988 democratic nominee Michael Dukakis, wrote a letter in support of one of the accomplices.

You can't get much more elite than major party presidential nominee.

Thank God Obama was President in 2013 and not Dukakis.

Thank God Bush 41 was President at the end of The Cold War and not Dukakis.

https://www.wbur.org/news/2015/06/05...naev-sentenced

excerpt

Prosecutors had asked for a sentence of a little more than five years in prison. Phillipos' lawyers had asked for two years of home confinement. The sentence ultimately given to Phillipos was the most lenient penalty imposed on the three friends who were charged.

Dukakis, a friend of Phillipos' family and the 1988 Democratic presidential nominee, wrote a letter of support for him and even testified during his trial.

In his letter to the judge, Dukakis wrote that he "can't understand why justice would be served by incarcerating him."

Former Massachusetts Gov. Michael Dukakis talks to members of the media outside federal court after testifying in the trial of Robel Phillipos in October 2014. (Stephan Savoia/AP)

================================================== ================
        Robel Phillipos, center, departs federal court with his attorney in October 2014. On Friday he was sentenced to three years in prison for lying to law enforcement investigating the Boston Marathon bombing. (Stephan Savoia/AP)

Last edited by lakechampainer; 02 Aug 20, 10:29.

Comment

Obviously President Obama and Attorney General Holder were for the death penalty. Please note that President Obama was clearly elected President twice by substantial margins.

It is disingenuous to say or imply I have some special concern or issue with this case. And do you know people in Massachusetts against the death penalty for him? Most are for it.

Link to Wikipedia article about The Joker's trial.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trial_...okhar_Tsarnaev

excerpt

he trial of Dzhokhar Tsarnaev for the Boston Marathon bombing on April 15, 2013, began on March 4, 2015, in front of the US District Court for the District of Massachusetts, nearly two years after the pre-trial hearings.[3]Tsarnaev's attorney, Judy Clarke, opened by telling the jurors that her client and his older brother, Tamerlan, planted a bomb killing three and injuring hundreds, as well as murdering an MIT police officer days later. "There's little that occurred the week of April the 15th ... that we dispute," Clarke said in her 20-minute opening statement.[3]Tsarnaev was found guilty on all 30 counts and has been sentenced to death by lethal injection for his crimes.[4]

ContentsPre-trial events[edit]

Tsarnaev's arraignment for 30 charges, including four for murder, occurred on July 10, 2013, in the US District Court for the District of Massachusetts[5] in Boston before U.S. Magistrate Judge Marianne Bowler. It was his first public court appearance.[6] He pleaded not guilty to all 30 counts against him, which included using and conspiring to use a weapon of mass destruction resulting in death.[7] Tsarnaev is represented by Miriam Conrad, David Bruck, William Fick, Timothy G. Watkins, and Judy Clarke.[8]

On January 30, 2014, United States Attorney General Eric Holder announced that the federal government would seek the death penalty against Dzhokhar Tsarnaev.[9] A plea deal failed when the government refused to rule out the possibility of the death penalty. The proceedings are led by Judge George O'Toole.[10][11] Jury selection lasted two months.[3]
          Opening statements[edit]

Opening statements took place on March 4, 2015. Assistant US Attorney William Weinreb opened for the prosecution.[3] "He pretended to be a spectator, but he had murder in his heart," Weinreb said.[3]

Weinreb gave graphic details of the aftermath, while some of the victims' family members were in the courtroom listening.[3] Weinreb said eight-year-old Martin Richard "bled to death on the sidewalk", L Lingzi (Chinese: 吕令子), had the "inside of her stomach pouring out", and Krystle Campbell was left with "gaping holes" in her body.[3] It was revealed on the first day that Tsarnaev stood on Boylston Street for four minutes before placing a backpack with a bomb in it on the ground.[3] After planting the bombs, Tsarnaev went shopping for milk at a Whole Foods Market after the bombings as if "nothing had happened".[3]

Jurors also learned that Stephen Silva, a friend of Tsarnaev's, gave the 9mm Ruger pistol that killed MIT police officer Sean Collier while the Tsarnaevs attempted to escape.[3] Collier was shot twice in the side of the head, once between the eyes, and three times in the right hand.[3] A graduate student saw the Tsarnaevs standing by the police cruiser Collier was sitting in, and another person heard the gunshots.[3]

Prosecutors contended that the Tsarnaev brothers were inspired by Al-Qaeda, and it was by reading Inspire, an Al-Qaeda-sponsored online publication, that they learned to construct the pressure cooker bombs used.[3] It was also learned that Tamerlan died when Dzhokhar ran over him while attempting to escape from a shootout with police in Watertown.[3] In admitting to the crimes, Clarke said that "the circumstances that bring us here today still are difficult to grasp, they are incomprehensible, they are inexcusable", but tried to say that Dzhokhar acted under the influence of Tamerlan.[
          ================================================== ================================================

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judy_Clarke

excerpt

Judy Clare Clarke (born 1952) is an American criminal defense attorney who has represented several high-profile defendants. She has negotiated plea agreements that spare her clients the death penalty, as was the case for Eric Rudolph, Ted Kaczynski, and Jared Lee Loughner. In the case of Susan Smith, Clarke argued to the jury that ultimately voted against imposing the death penalty.

Raised in Asheville, North Carolina, Clarke is a graduate of T.C. Roberson High School, Furman University and University of South Carolina School of Law. Clarke served as executive director of the Federal Defenders of San Diego, Inc. (FDSDI) and the Federal Defenders of the Eastern District of Washington and Idaho. From 1996 to 1997, she served as President of the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers. Clarke received the John Frank Award from the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals.[1]

================================================== ====
          Last edited by lakechampainer; 02 Aug 20, 10:25.

Comment

And at the risk of stating the obvious:

2. Classic "news dump" - after close of business Friday, in the middle of the summer.

1. Sure looks like there is going to be a democratic administration - that's what I think - more importantly, I think that contributed to the decision now. Tsarnaev will never be executed.

I used to not like the fact 2 republicans went on the Supreme Court this term - Now I'm starting to like it, especially as the court as a whole doesn't seem to be activist, rather incrementalist. I don't think they will overturn the death penalty, but there will be no federal death penalties in the next 4 years. And if someone is somehow sentenced to death, you know the lawyers, probably Judy Clarke, will say, it is unfair to give a death sentence, since even Tsarnaev wasn't executed!
            Last edited by lakechampainer; 02 Aug 20, 14:22.

Comment

Sorry, but in this case i dont buy the elite thing. Dukakis knew Robel Phillipos since he was a little kid. He was long time friends with the Phillipos family. Robel got 3,5 years of prison time for lying to the FBI about knowledge of two of his friends removal of a Backpack and a Laptop. His mother probably asked Dukakis if he couldnt try to support the family and he did. Robel paid the price to what he did, he wasnt released or anything.

I am completely with you on elites living under a different law in the US, but this is a bad example and it has nothing to do with Dzhokhars change of death penalty or with democrats being evilous people.

There are plenty, tons of cases where elites play out their advantages before court, this one i just dont see it.

You could compare Paul Manafort to Robel Phillipos for example both got 3,5 years for lying to the FBI. Manafort was additionally convicted for bank fraud and tax evasion. His case concerned millions of dollars. While Robel did his jailtime, Paul is playing Playstation at home. Thats the difference between elites and normal people.
              Last edited by Judith; 02 Aug 20, 11:38.

Comment

If you don't understand that a former governor shouldn't write a friendly letter in support of someone he knows in any case, never mind in a case where there was "mass destruction", you don't understand anything about American norms.

Weren't you just criticizing Trump for sending out his condolences upon the death of someone he knew?????

Comment

All i said was Dukakis is a bad example. Manafort was the first who came in my mind to profit from the elite treatment. Robel went to jail and did the whole time. I also think that taking side with Robel was a pretty dumb move.

Eh, who did Trumpski send his condolences out again? John Lewis?

Comment

Wikipedia article on Mr. Tamarlan Tsarnaev, aka Speedbump. Followed by excerpts.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tamerlan_Tsarnaev

excerpt 1

Tamerlan Anzorovich Tsarnaev (/ˌtmərˈlɑːn ˌtsɑːrˈnaɪɛf/; October 21, 1986 – April 19, 2013)[note 1] was a Soviet-born terrorist who, with his brother Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, planted pressure cooker bombs at the Boston Marathon on April 15, 2013.[1][3][4][5] The bombings killed three people and reportedly injured as many as 264 others.[6] Tsarnaev was of half-Chechen and half-Avar descent.[7] He emigrated to the United States in 2004 at the age of 18.[8] At the time of the bombings, Tsarnaev was an aspiring boxer.[9]

Shortly after the Federal Bureau of Investigation declared them suspects in the bombings and released images of them, the Tsarnaev brothers killed an MIT policeman, carjacked a SUV, and engaged in a shootout with the police in the Boston suburb of Watertown. According to the federal indictment, during the shootout, Tsarnaev was captured but died, partly as a result of his brother driving over him, and an MBTA police officer was critically injured in the course of Dzhokhar's escape in the SUV[10] (the former by what may have been friendly fire).[11] An injured Dzhokhar escaped, but was found, arrested, and hospitalized on the evening of April 19 after an unprecedented manhunt in which thousands of police searched a 20-block area of Watertown.[12]

During his incarceration, Tsarnaev's brother allegedly said during questioning that the pair next intended to detonate explosives in Times Square in New York City.[13] Dzhokhar reportedly also said to authorities that he and his brother were radicalized, at least in part, by watching Anwar al-Awlaki lectures.[14]

================================================== ============

excerpt 2

2011[edit]

In early 2011, Russia's Federal Security Service (FSB) told the Federal Bureau of Investigation that Tsarnaev was a follower of Islamic extremism and a strong believer. The FSB said that he was preparing to leave the United States to travel to the Russian region to join unspecified underground groups.[74][75] The FBI initially denied that it had contacted Tsarnaev, but then said that it actually had after Tsarnaev's mother talked about the FBI's contacts with her son on RT.[76] The FBI said that it interviewed him and relatives of his, but did not find any terrorist activity, and that it provided the results in the summer of 2011.[75] At that point, the FBI asked the FSB for more information, but the Russians did not respond to the American request, and the FBI officially closed the case.[77]

Tsarnaev's mother said that FBI agents had told her they feared her son was an "extremist leader", and that he was getting information from "extremist sites".[78][79] She said Tsarnaev had been under FBI surveillance for at least three years and that "they were controlling every step of him". The FBI flatly denied this accusation.[80][81] Tsarnaev "vaguely discussed" jihad during a 2011 phone call with his mother that was taped by the FSB, and intelligence officials also discovered text messages in which his mother discussed how he was ready to die for Islam.[82] In late 2011, the Central Intelligence Agency put both Tsarnaev and his mother on its Terrorist Identities Datamart Environment database.[82][83]

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

Or he will become a cellblock celebrity. The more heinous the crimes, the more brownie points for the animal responsible.

The inmates in our prisons are not normal human beings like we are.
                      So...why keep them?
                      ARRRR! International Talk Like A Pirate Day - September 19th
                      IN MARE IN COELO

Comment

I was totally for the execution of McVeigh. Not sure why Nichols wasn't convicted to death by the jury; they deadlocked; I have to accept that he had a trial by jury of his peers. He is in prison for life on federal and state murders. (Edit: both the state and federal juries deadlocked during the death penalty phases of Nichols' trials.)

So my question is simple to the people who are fine with Tsarnaev getting off: Do you think McVeigh should have been executed? And if so, how do you explain the apparent inconsistency?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terry_Nichols

Terry Lynn Nichols (born April 1, 1955) is an American domestic terrorist who was convicted of being an accomplice in the Oklahoma City bombing.[4] Prior to his incarceration, he held a variety of short-term jobs, working as a farmer, grain elevator manager, real estate salesman and ranch hand.[5] He met his future co-conspirator, Timothy McVeigh, during a brief stint in the U.S. Army, which ended in 1989 when he requested a hardship discharge after less than one year of service.[5] In 1994 and 1995, he conspired with McVeigh in the planning and preparation of the truck bombing of the Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, on April 19, 1995. The bombing claimed the lives of 168 people.[6]

After a federal trial in 1997, Nichols was convicted of conspiracy to use a weapon of mass destruction and eight counts of involuntary manslaughter for killing federal law enforcement personnel.[7][8] He was sentenced to life imprisonment without the possibility of parole after the jury deadlocked on the death penalty.[6] He was also tried in Oklahoma on state charges of murder in connection with the bombing. He was convicted in 2004 of 161 counts of first degree murder, including one count of fetal homicide;[6] first-degree arson; and conspiracy.[9] As in the federal trial, the state jury deadlocked on imposing the death penalty.[6][10] He was sentenced to 161 consecutive life terms without the possibility of parole,[4][6] and is incarcerated at ADX Florence, a super maximum security prison near Florence, Colorado. He shares a cell block that is commonly referred to as "Bombers Row" with Ramzi Yousef, Eric Rudolph, and Ted Kaczynski.
                        Last edited by lakechampainer; 02 Aug 20, 13:33.

Comment

I always thought there was something strange about Nichols...

Comment

I was totally for the execution of McVeigh. Not sure why Nichols wasn't convicted to death by the jury; they deadlocked; I have to accept that he had a trial by jury of his peers. He is in prison for life on federal and state murders. (Edit: both the state and federal juries deadlocked during the death penalty phases of Nichols' trials.)

So my question is simple to the people who are fine with Tsarnaev getting off: Do you think McVeigh should have been executed? And if so, how do you explain the apparent inconsistency?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terry_Nichols

Terry Lynn Nichols (born April 1, 1955) is an American domestic terrorist who was convicted of being an accomplice in the Oklahoma City bombing.[4] Prior to his incarceration, he held a variety of short-term jobs, working as a farmer, grain elevator manager, real estate salesman and ranch hand.[5] He met his future co-conspirator, Timothy McVeigh, during a brief stint in the U.S. Army, which ended in 1989 when he requested a hardship discharge after less than one year of service.[5] In 1994 and 1995, he conspired with McVeigh in the planning and preparation of the truck bombing of the Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, on April 19, 1995. The bombing claimed the lives of 168 people.[6]

After a federal trial in 1997, Nichols was convicted of conspiracy to use a weapon of mass destruction and eight counts of involuntary manslaughter for killing federal law enforcement personnel.[7][8] He was sentenced to life imprisonment without the possibility of parole after the jury deadlocked on the death penalty.[6] He was also tried in Oklahoma on state charges of murder in connection with the bombing. He was convicted in 2004 of 161 counts of first degree murder, including one count of fetal homicide;[6] first-degree arson; and conspiracy.[9] As in the federal trial, the state jury deadlocked on imposing the death penalty.[6][10] He was sentenced to 161 consecutive life terms without the possibility of parole,[4][6] and is incarcerated at ADX Florence, a super maximum security prison near Florence, Colorado. He shares a cell block that is commonly referred to as "Bombers Row" with Ramzi Yousef, Eric Rudolph, and Ted Kaczynski.
                            I’m against the death penalty completely. When it comes to the topic of the death penalty we will see a huge chunk of people for it or against it...those against being so no matter the level of crime committed by the perpetrator.

And I don’t think the younger brother got off or got a lenient sentence . He is in A Supermax prison. Which is among the harshest prisons in the history of the world.

But also here in America there are plenty of examples of very violent criminals getting life in prison when they did qualify for the death penalty.

Sorry if I offend you. I agree with most of what you said except that I’m against the death penalty

George S Patton

Comment

Link to 2019 Boston Herald article about the conditions The Joker lives under at the Supermax in Colorado.

God forbid someone tests positive for Covid 19 in the complex - the bleeding hearts will instantly be calling for The Joker's release for "humanitarian reasons."

https://www.bostonherald.com/2019/12...max-ex-warden/

Comment

He's in prison for life, justice was served.
                                "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
                                - Benjamin Franklin

The new right wing: hate Muslims, preaches tolerance for Nazis.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X