Trump versus the Post Office

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trump versus the Post Office

Trump has appointed a crony to head the post office, Louis DeJoy, and is refusing to increase funding. I wonder why? Interfering with the mail is a federal offense.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...?ocid=msedgdhp

Welcome to the next election battleground: the post office.

President Trump’s yearslong assault on the Postal Service and his increasingly dire warnings about the dangers of voting by mail are colliding as the presidential campaign enters its final months. The result has been to generate new concerns about how he could influence an election conducted during a pandemic in which greater-than-ever numbers of voters will submit their ballots by mail.

In tweet after all-caps tweet, Mr. Trump has warned that allowing people to vote by mail will result in a “CORRUPT ELECTION” that will “LEAD TO THE END OF OUR GREAT REPUBLICAN PARTY” and become the “SCANDAL OF OUR TIMES.” He has predicted that children will steal ballots out of mailboxes. On Thursday, he dangled the idea of delaying the election instead.

Members of Congress and state officials in both parties rejected the president’s suggestion and his claim that mail-in ballots would result in widespread fraud. But they are warning that a huge wave of ballots could overwhelm mail carriers unless the Postal Service, in financial difficulty for years, receives emergency funding that Republicans are blocking during negotiations over another pandemic relief bill.

At the same time, the mail system is being undercut in ways set in motion by Mr. Trump. Fueled by animus for Jeff Bezos, the founder of Amazon, and surrounded by advisers who have long called for privatizing the post office, Mr. Trump and his appointees have begun taking cost-cutting steps that appear to have led to slower and less reliable delivery.

In recent weeks, at the direction of a Trump campaign megadonor who was recently named the postmaster general, the service has stopped paying mail carriers and clerks the overtime necessary to ensure that deliveries can be completed each day. That and other changes have led to reports of letters and packages being delayed by as many as several days.

Voting rights groups say it is a recipe for disaster.

“We have an underfunded state and local election system and a deliberate slowdown in the Postal Service,” said Wendy Fields, the executive director of the Democracy Initiative, a coalition of voting and civil rights groups. She said the president was “deliberately orchestrating suppression and using the post office as a tool to do it.”

Kim Wyman, the Republican secretary of state in Washington, one of five states where mail-in balloting is universal, said Wednesday on NPR’s “1A” program that “election officials are very concerned, if the post office is reducing service, that we will be able to get ballots to people in time.”

Louis DeJoy, the postmaster general, defended the changes, saying in a statement that the ban on overtime was intended to “improve operational efficiency” and to “ensure that we meet our service standards.”

Mr. DeJoy declined to be interviewed. David Partenheimer, a spokesman for the Postal Service, said that the nation’s post offices had “ample capacity to adjust our nationwide processing and delivery network to meet projected election and political mail volume, including any additional volume that may result as a response to the Covid-19 pandemic.”
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
    Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
    To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

Louis DeJoy, the new Postmaster General:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/06/polit...ral/index.html

Longtime Trump ally and fundraiser Louis DeJoy will serve as the new postmaster general for the US Postal Service, the USPS Board of Governors announced Wednesday.

The board unanimously appointed DeJoy on Wednesday to helm the agency effective June 15, the group said in a statement.
    The move gives President Donald Trump a staunch backer in a government agency that the President has derided as recently as last month for losing money due to prices he has deemed too low.
    DeJoy was a potential pick to become the Republican National Committee finance chairman in 2018 after serving as a deputy finance chairman, and he is the former CEO of New Breed Logistics. The President attended a fundraiser DeJoy hosted at his North Carolina home in October 2017 to benefit Trump and the RNC.
    Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts

Comment

Is this about the brouhaha about fraudulent voting by mail? If that's the case, then can my dead mother-in-law still vote? I still get mail for her in the PO box.
      ARRRR! International Talk Like A Pirate Day - September 19th
      IN MARE IN COELO

Comment

Originally posted by Jose50 View Post
        Is this about the brouhaha about fraudulent voting by mail? If that's the case, then can my dead mother-in-law still vote? I still get mail for her in the PO box.
        Where is there any evidence of widespread voter fraud in the US. Seems to me that you take everything Trump says at face value, and that from a proven congenital liar.

Comment

Sending a a fraudulent vote does not mean that you dead mother can vote in your state. There is a verification process which includes the comparison of the signature in the papers you will send to that of the voter that is on a state record

Here is a link with some info

https://www.ncsl.org/research/electi...-absentee.aspx
          My most dangerous mission: I landed in the middle of an enemy tank battalion and I immediately, started spraying bullets killing everybody around me having fun up until my computer froze...

Comment

Of course she can. Countless dead democrats have been voting for decades.
            Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

NO PROOF just mouth.
              "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

Of course she can. Countless dead democrats have been voting for decades.
                And where is your proof? As usual, there is none merely a Republican talking point and conspiracy theory.

Comment

I wouldnt be surprised if dead mothers could vote in person on one of your "safe" electronic voting machines...
                  Voting is pretty much a joke in the US, with or without vote by mail. Gerrymandering, voter registration, voting machines, workday voting and essentially two parties to vote on. Thats how you end up with wannabe dictators like Trump.

Comment

Originally posted by Judith View Post
                    I wouldnt be surprised if dead mothers could vote in person on one of your "safe" electronic voting machines...
                    Voting is pretty much a joke in the US, with or without vote by mail. Gerrymandering, voter registration, voting machines, workday voting and essentially two parties to vote on. Thats how you end up with wannabe dictators like Trump.
                    No, the reason we ended up with Trump is named Hillary Clinton!
                    Trying hard to be the Man, that my Dog believes I am!

Comment

Originally posted by Massena View Post

Where is there any evidence of widespread voter fraud in the US. Seems to me that you take everything Trump says at face value, and that from a proven congenital liar.
                      I'll just put you down as "very trusting".
                      IN MARE IN COELO

Comment

Originally posted by pamak View Post

Sending a a fraudulent vote does not mean that you dead mother can vote in your state. There is a verification process which includes the comparison of the signature in the papers you will send to that of the voter that is on a state record.
                        How many handwriting experts do you think they'll need?
                        I can't speak for you, but my signature has changed many times through the years. I doubt whether or not someone who is not a bonafide expert, could definitively, positively and decidedly prove that my signature was real, fraudulent, done with an autopen or just misspelled.
                        Remember what happened in Florida with the infamous "hanging chad"?
                        IN MARE IN COELO

Comment

How many handwriting experts do you think they'll need?
                          I can't speak for you, but my signature has changed many times through the years. I doubt whether or not someone who is not a bonafide expert, could definitively, positively and decidedly prove that my signature was real, fraudulent, done with an autopen or just misspelled.
                          Remember what happened in Florida with the infamous "hanging chad"?
                          Many to research and hack personal accounts and get personal documents with signatures that must be forged. And state records have signatures including more recent ones which they can also consult when there is a problem. And as you noticed, many states even contact people when there is a problem in the verification process.

What happened in Florida and in the whole US is on record and people recall very well that there have been veryyyy few cases of election fraud.

Recall also what I said before:
                          No forger can anticipate how the victim will react. Sending a ballot with forged signature can easily trigger a red flag if one victim decides to also vote. In such case, there will be two votes under the same registered voter and there will be an investigation. There is no way one can set up a wide-range forgery scheme without triggering such red flags. And expert forgers do not have a reason to spend such effort for some dubious political benefit which does not give personal gains.

Last edited by pamak; Yesterday, 15:50.
                          My most dangerous mission: I landed in the middle of an enemy tank battalion and I immediately, started spraying bullets killing everybody around me having fun up until my computer froze...

Comment

I notice no one has brought up a factor. Congress can send out as much mail as they want, delivered free! If they paid for it at the same rate as the rest of us, would the postal service be losing as much money?

Pruitt
                            Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
                              I notice no one has brought up a factor. Congress can send out as much mail as they want, delivered free! If they paid for it at the same rate as the rest of us, would the postal service be losing as much money?

Pruitt
                              Organizing elections costs.

By the way, it is not that the Congress will send and receive the mail in ballots. It is the states which do it by using a federal resource (Postal Office).

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X