X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• slick_miester
    replied
    Originally posted by craven View Post

Actually I disagree Trump could of done a lot to help himself out. I have repeatedly said if Trump had said omg look at what the Russians did and various things and taken action in support of investigations and doing what the professionals were telling him he would of had a much easier time. Instead he looks at firing anyone who took it seriously. His actions post winning the election is what drove that story line.

This way he make it look like only the nuts are shouting conspiracy rather than making people like me go hmm must be something there if he is hiding stuff this much.

for example Clinton emails which overall was pretty much a nothing burger but everyone was going hmmm what she hiding.
    - emphasis mine

I more-or-less agree with everything in that post, except the highlighted portion. Lots of US Gov't personnel have uses non-.gov or .mil emails for official business, but the Hillary Clinton case highlights a rather disturbing double-standard. For those lower down on the food chain, court martial or outright dismissal are de rigueur for such offenses.

A federal judge has overturned a military panel's decision to force a Marine out of service for using his Yahoo account to send an email that included classified information warning his fellow Marines about a corrupt Afghan official.

That warning was not taken seriously, as NPR's Quil Lawrence told our Newscast unit, and three Marines were killed shortly after. Later, "after some negative news coverage, the Marine Corps decided to force Jason Brezler out of the service for mishandling classified data." . . . .

Brezler was able to kick Sarwar Jan off the base. Two years later, he was back in the States and still in the Marine reserves, working on a master's degree — when he heard Sarwar Jan had returned.

"I'm sitting at a conference table in Oklahoma, taking I believe a public budgeting class, and I received an email, and the title was 'SARWAR JAN IS BACK,' all caps, exclamation point, exclamation point," he told Quil.

"It was a forwarded request for information from a Marine in Helmand. Sarwar Jan was living on a U.S. base again," Quil reported. "Brezler searched his laptop — it was the same one he'd had with him in Helmand — and found the dossier on Sarwar Jan. He attached it, hitting 'reply all' and then 'send.' "

But the dossier was marked classified. The information went unheeded, Quil reported, and "just 17 days after Brezler's warning, one of Sarwar Jan's underage servants grabbed an assault rifle and killed three unarmed Marines at the base gymnasium in Helmand." . . . .

"Legal Win For Marine Who Used Classified Information In An Email Warning," by Merrit Kennedy, National Public Radio, 6 Dec 2016
    Hillary Clinton didn't just hit "send" on a single email: she established her own server to handle tens-of-thousands of US Gov't emails. I appreciate that she was frustrated with GSA's IT services, which are seriously wanting, but how did she get so rarefied as to merit a wholly different treatment from uniformed and civilian Gov't personnel? The double-standard, in my view, is painfully galling, and I have no trouble when a politician gets some bad press for enjoying a benefit denied to most mere mortals.

Leave a comment:

• craven
    replied
    Originally posted by Herman Hum View Post
    I do not believe your conclusion is correct. No one with a pulse could have missed vindicativeness of the DNC and failed to predict events from day one of the Trump administration. Even had Trump done absolutely nothing right, wrong, or otherwise, the same actions would have been undertaken by his opponents.
    Actually I disagree Trump could of done a lot to help himself out. I have repeatedly said if Trump had said omg look at what the Russians did and various things and taken action in support of investigations and doing what the professionals were telling him he would of had a much easier time. Instead he looks at firing anyone who took it seriously. His actions post winning the election is what drove that story line.

This way he make it look like only the nuts are shouting conspiracy rather than making people like me go hmm must be something there if he is hiding stuff this much.

for example Clinton emails which overall was pretty much a nothing burger but everyone was going hmmm what she hiding.

Leave a comment:

• slick_miester
    replied
    Originally posted by DingBat View Post

What were the problems in NYC?
    400,000 mail-in/absentee ballots is considered unprecedented for a primary. Six weeks on and the counting still isn't finished, but the finger-pointing is continuing famously well.

Election officials in New York City widely distributed mail-in ballots for the primary on June 23, which featured dozens of hard-fought races. The officials had hoped to make voting much easier, but they did not seem prepared for the response: more than 10 times the number of absentee ballots received in recent elections in the city.

Now, nearly six weeks later, two closely watched congressional races remain undecided, and major delays in counting a deluge of 400,000 mail-in ballots and other problems are being cited as examples of the challenges facing the nation as it looks toward conducting the November general election during the pandemic.

Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo and other officials are trading blame for the botched counting in the city, and the Postal Service is coming under criticism over whether it is equipped to handle the sharp increase in absentee ballots.

Election lawyers said one area of concern in New York City was that mail-in ballots have prepaid return envelopes. The Postal Service apparently had difficulty processing some of them correctly and, as a result, an unknown number of votes — perhaps thousands — may have been wrongfully disqualified because of a lack of a postmark.

Thousands more ballots in the city were discarded by election officials for minor errors, or not even sent to voters until the day before the primary, making it all but impossible for the ballots to be returned in time. . . . .

"Why the Botched N.Y.C. Primary Has Become the November Nightmare," by Jesse McKinley, The New York Times, 3 Aug 2020
    That is not to say that mail-in elections are an impossibility. It's just that anything concerning bureaucracy and civil service in NYC and NYS very quickly devolves into goatfck. Add to that the prevalence of volunteers in the ranks of the Election Commission -- overwhelmingly blue-haired old bitties who think that punch cards are cutting edge technology -- and you have an instant recipe for a real mess. Assuming good faith efforts by all concerned, it'll probably take two or three election cycles before all the problems with mass mail-ins are finally ironed out.

Leave a comment:

• Nichols
    replied
    Originally posted by Massena View Post
    That's rich and goes right along with Trump's and the GOP's efforts at voter suppression. Well done.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...how-stop-them/

Republicans are serious about voter suppression. Here’s how to stop them.
    Can't read the opinion article, what does it say?

How are they trying to suppress the vote?

Leave a comment:

• Massena
    replied
    That's rich and goes right along with Trump's and the GOP's efforts at voter suppression. Well done.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...how-stop-them/

Republicans are serious about voter suppression. Here’s how to stop them.

Leave a comment:

• Nichols
    replied
    Originally posted by Massena View Post

Made what 'clear'?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/po...?ocid=msedgdhp

Postal Service says it has 'ample capacity' to handle election after Trump casts doubt

CNN.....again....

Here are facts:

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020...llot-woes.html

Leave a comment:

• Massena
    replied
    Originally posted by Nichols View Post
    The USPS has already made it clear that they would have problems getting the ballots in on time.
    Made what 'clear'?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/po...?ocid=msedgdhp

Postal Service says it has 'ample capacity' to handle election after Trump casts doubt

Leave a comment:

• Nichols
    replied
    Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
    By mail
    The person requests an absentee ballot. The polling place confirms it and sends a ballot. As probably did on active service and after you retired.

The current version of mail in voting is the ballots are sent to a person's address without the person requesting it.

How many dead people receive stimulus checks a few months ago?

The USPS is saying that they would have problems handling ballots for everyone. The fiasco in NYC pretty much shows that....from a voting population of 400,000 only.

I just looked it up, 1.1 million dead people received stimulus checks.

Leave a comment:

• Half Pint John
    replied
    By mail

Leave a comment:

• Nichols
    replied
    But, finally, can the US really afford NOT to have a working, large scale absentee ballot process? The US has hundreds of thousands of members of its military and foreign service serving overseas. Plus Americans working in other countries. There are 750,000 ex-pats in Canada alone, for god's sake.
    We aren't talking about absentee voting, we are talking about mail in voting. There is a difference.

Do you know how absentee voting works?

Leave a comment:

• Metryll
    replied
    So: Why is the process problematic NOW? What's changed in four years?
    Mr Donald Trump ?

Leave a comment:

• DingBat
    replied

The same subject is being discussed in numerous threads. The answer doesn't change when the subject is the same.

2012 & 2016 combined 80 million...... they are talking about potentionally doubling that number for one election.

The USPS has already made it clear that they would have problems getting the ballots in on time.

The NYC is a perfect example of 400,000 only 400,000.....and they couldn't handle it.
    What were the problems in NYC?

It seems reasonable that if they can handle 45 million in a single election, that the issues facing an election of 400,000 shouldn't be insurmountable.

And once you've scaled to handle tens of millions, doubling it isn't as large a leap as you might think. The heavy lifting has been done.

But, finally, can the US really afford NOT to have a working, large scale absentee ballot process? The US has hundreds of thousands of members of its military and foreign service serving overseas. Plus Americans working in other countries. There are 750,000 ex-pats in Canada alone, for god's sake.

The US has had a functioning absentee ballot system for over a hundred years. It seems to have been perfectly satisfactory up until this election.

Leave a comment:

• Nichols
    replied

You are trotting this around all the related threads and yet I still cannot get anyone to answer my question:

In 2012 and 2016 a combined 80 million voters voted via absentee ballot. This was not only deemed legal and appropriate, it also didn't seem to raise any eyebrows. Since humans are involved, I think it's pretty safe to assume there were some fraudulent, mishandled, spoiled, and uncounted ballots. Yet the vote worked.

The same subject is being discussed in numerous threads. The answer doesn't change when the subject is the same.

2012 & 2016 combined 80 million...... they are talking about potentionally doubling that number for one election.

The NYC is a perfect example of 400,000 only 400,000.....and they couldn't handle it.

Leave a comment:

• DingBat
    replied

Actually, facts back up what Trump is claiming:

Now, nearly six weeks later, two closely watched congressional races remain undecided, and major delays in counting a deluge of 400,000 mail-in ballots and other problems are being cited as examples of the challenges facing the nation as it looks toward conducting the November general election during the pandemic.

Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo and other officials are trading blame for the botched counting in the city, and the Postal Service is coming under criticism over whether it is equipped to handle the sharp increase in absentee ballots.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/03/n...ts-voting.html
    You are trotting this around all the related threads and yet I still cannot get anyone to answer my question:

In 2012 and 2016 a combined 80 million voters voted via absentee ballot. This was not only deemed legal and appropriate, it also didn't seem to raise any eyebrows. Since humans are involved, I think it's pretty safe to assume there were some fraudulent, mishandled, spoiled, and uncounted ballots. Yet the vote worked.

Leave a comment:

• slick24
    replied

Once again backing up the left no matter what damage it does to our Republic.

There are no results from the June election, they couldn't handle 400,000 mail in ballots. Do you think there will be some magic in Novemebr with over 130 million voters?

Stick to facts, not democrat hyperbole. USPS can't handle that volume of ballots and for they people that don't have an address; how will thy vote?
    yep, but facts mean nothing if they do not agree with their agenda

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X