Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trump Must 'Dislike' Teachers and Children...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Trump Must 'Dislike' Teachers and Children...

    With his 'one size fits all' insistence on school reopenings across the country. He apparently does not care who gets sick and who might die from the coronavirus.

    https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/tr...?ocid=msedgdhp

    In an interview with CBS News' Catherine Herridge, President Trump said schools that don't plan to reopen in the fall are making a "terrible decision." Watch more of the interview with the president on the “CBS Evening News” at 6:30 p.m. ET, and on “CBS This Morning” from 7 to 9 a.m. ET.
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
    Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
    To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

  • #2
    Originally posted by Massena View Post
    With his 'one size fits all' insistence on school reopenings across the country. He apparently does not care who gets sick and who might die from the coronavirus.

    https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/tr...?ocid=msedgdhp

    In an interview with CBS News' Catherine Herridge, President Trump said schools that don't plan to reopen in the fall are making a "terrible decision." Watch more of the interview with the president on the “CBS Evening News” at 6:30 p.m. ET, and on “CBS This Morning” from 7 to 9 a.m. ET.
    On the contrary opening schools is advised by the APA. Closing schools harms children.
    "To be free is better than to be unfree - always."

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Surrey View Post

      On the contrary opening schools is advised by the APA. Closing schools harms children.
      And what is going to happen if they are opened too soon and children and teachers get the virus? 'An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.'

      If this actually does happen, it will be interesting to see how many parents opt out for home schooling and then want virtual learning.

      Do you have children?
      We are not now that strength which in old days
      Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
      Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
      To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Massena View Post

        And what is going to happen if they are opened too soon and children and teachers get the virus? 'An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.'

        If this actually does happen, it will be interesting to see how many parents opt out for home schooling and then want virtual learning.

        Do you have children?
        As as been stated many times and backed by numerous studies. Children rarely get it. When they do it is usually minor, and they rarely pass it on. More children die from flu in a typical year than die from Covid. Which is why the professional bodies recommend that children go back to proper on site school. People forget that children can and do die from numerous causes. Minute risk from Covid is vastly outweighed by the cost of a lost education.
        "To be free is better than to be unfree - always."

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Surrey View Post
          As as been stated many times and backed by numerous studies. Children rarely get it. When they do it is usually minor, and they rarely pass it on. More children die from flu in a typical year than die from Covid. Which is why the professional bodies recommend that children go back to proper on site school. People forget that children can and do die from numerous causes. Minute risk from Covid is vastly outweighed by the cost of a lost education.
          Yet it is known that this disease can cause lifelong issues. So using children as ginny pigs is fine for you?

          https://www.foxnews.com/health/over-...ovid-19-report ?
          https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...-dire-warning/ ?
          Last edited by Vaeltaja; 15 Jul 20, 07:56.
          It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion, it is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed. The hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Vaeltaja View Post
            Yet it is known that this disease can cause lifelong issues. So using children as ginny pigs is fine for you?
            How is that known?
            "I don't discuss sitting presidents," Mattis tells NPR in an interview. "I believe that you owe a period of quiet."

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Nichols View Post
              How is that known?
              We still don't know that for certain but there are indications that it is quite possible.

              https://www.bbc.com/future/article/2...d-19-infection

              Indications are that even in mild cases it can cause neurological damage - as the article so quaintly puts it: But there is no dialysis machine for the brain.

              So do you want to roll the dice? Or would you rather have your children to be ones who take the chance?
              It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion, it is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed. The hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Massena View Post

                And what is going to happen if they are opened too soon and children and teachers get the virus? 'An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.'

                If this actually does happen, it will be interesting to see how many parents opt out for home schooling and then want virtual learning.

                Do you have children?
                Even the American Academy of Pediatricians supports school openings. I have a feeling they don't hate kids.

                The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP), American Federation of Teachers (AFT), National Education Association (NEA) and AASA, The School Superintendents Association, join together today in the following statement on the safe return of students, teachers, and staff to schools:

                “Educators and pediatricians share the goal of children returning safely to school this fall. Our organizations are committed to doing everything we can so that all students have the opportunity to safely resume in-person learning.




                https://services.aap.org/en/news-roo...ool-this-fall/

                Of course they urge that precaustions be taken, but they clearly support reopening schools.

                An "ounce of prevention" ? Interesting standard.
                I don't think the left would approve of applying that made up standard for school reopenings to their beliefs.

                Would an "ounce of prevention" also justify stopping BLM protests and riots? I could go on but will leave it at that.
                Avatar is General Gerard, courtesy of Zouave.

                Churchill to Chamberlain: you had a choice between war and dishonor. You chose dishonor, and you will have war.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by BorderRuffian
                  Study of coronavirus cases among students in Sweden and Finland shows that only 15 were admitted to an ICU and there were no deaths (p9)-

                  https://www.folkhalsomyndigheten.se/...d-children.pdf

                  Conclusions (p14):
                  • Closing of schools had no measurable effect on the number of cases of covid19 among children.
                  • Children are not a major risk group of the covid-19 disease and seem to play a less important role from the transmission point of view, although more active surveillance and special studies such as school and household transmission studies are warranted.
                  • The negative effects of closing schools must be weighed against the possible positive indirect effects it might have on the mitigation of the covid-19 pandemic.
                  Yes and no. It is true that there was no meaningful difference between the groups. However couple of caveats... One, Finland did not fully close the schools. Daycare (kindergarten) was still working in Finland, pre-school was working in Finland, grades 1 through 3 were still working in Finland. There was strong recommendation that if at all possible the children should be at home however. But for the children of the critical workers and others who could not have or were unwilling to have children at home could do have their children to go to school/pre-school/daycare as well. Two, especially teens read the same news which reported that young and children were not at risk and there were several instances of the youth breaching the 10-person gathering rule, spending the time with friends at shopping malls or parks etc. So closing the schools didn't quite work with regards to limiting the contact. They openly stated as their reason for grouping together that they were safe from it. Which is not exactly true.

                  What i mean is that while it was an experiment on closing the schools it was not really a one on social distancing.
                  It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion, it is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed. The hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Vaeltaja View Post
                    We still don't know that for certain but there are indications that it is quite possible.

                    https://www.bbc.com/future/article/2...d-19-infection

                    Indications are that even in mild cases it can cause neurological damage - as the article so quaintly puts it: But there is no dialysis machine for the brain.

                    So do you want to roll the dice? Or would you rather have your children to be ones who take the chance?
                    The article points out mild symptoms in children. It then speculates about it crossing the blood brain barrier, no facts, just speculation.

                    There are no known long term effects, only specultaion. We wont know the long term effects until a couple decades have passed..

                    One thing we do know is that children are more resilient than adults.
                    "I don't discuss sitting presidents," Mattis tells NPR in an interview. "I believe that you owe a period of quiet."

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Vaeltaja View Post
                      Yet it is known that this disease can cause lifelong issues. So using children as ginny pigs is fine for you?

                      https://www.foxnews.com/health/over-...ovid-19-report ?
                      https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...-dire-warning/ ?
                      Schools have returned throughout much of Europe. There have been no mass deaths or second waves etc. Use of the term 'Ginny pigs' is thus just scare mongering.

                      The below is the UK profession body. Multiple links on their site to the low risk to children. Article is from 100 plus paeditricians demanding that schools be reopened in the UK due to the harm it is causing.

                      https://www.rcpch.ac.uk/news-events/...ols-re-opening

                      'There is little doubt that the balance of risks for children and young people is that a return to school is in their best interests. Children and young people are the part of the population least affected by COVID-19 and their risks of contracting serious illness from COVID-19 are very low. Keeping children away from school brings significant risks to their health and wellbeing.'


                      Last edited by Surrey; 15 Jul 20, 08:44.
                      "To be free is better than to be unfree - always."

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        It is your own choice of course. https://www.scmp.com/lifestyle/healt...iously-thought && https://scitechdaily.com/delirium-br...d-to-covid-19/ but i certainly would not dismiss that chance. Also to be clear even the AAP corrected their earlier statement https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...-dire-warning/ - https://services.aap.org/en/news-roo...ool-this-fall/ And their later statement is not quite the same as which was referred previously and makes it clear that one-size-fits-all approach is not what is appropriate. And there is nothing wrong with that later statement.
                        The AAP, in a joint statement with three large education organizations, emphasized that school reopening should be driven by science and safety—“not politics.”
                        It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion, it is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed. The hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Surrey View Post
                          Schools have returned throughout much of Europe. There have been no mass deaths or second waves etc. Use of the term 'Ginny pigs' is thus just scare mongering.
                          Did any one apart from you yourself claim that there would need to be 'mass deaths' or 'second waves'? Problem is that this disease can cause long term damage even in mild cases.
                          It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion, it is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed. The hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Vaeltaja View Post
                            Problem is that this disease can cause long term damage even in mild cases.
                            We don't know that.

                            "I don't discuss sitting presidents," Mattis tells NPR in an interview. "I believe that you owe a period of quiet."

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Nichols View Post
                              We don't know that.
                              Actually that is one part we already know. We know it can happen as it already has happened in several cases. What we do not know is how often it happens. What conditions make it more likely or prevent it. But we know it can happen.
                              It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion, it is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed. The hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion

                              Comment

                              Latest Topics

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X