And Speaking of Voter Fraud...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And Speaking of Voter Fraud...

...a Republican Congressman is accused of it. I wonder why?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...?ocid=msedgdhp

Kansas GOP Rep. Steve Watkins was charged Tuesday with three felony counts of voter fraud related to the 2019 municipal elections, according to court records.
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
    Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
    To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

Originally posted by Massena View Post
    ...a Republican Congressman is accused of it. I wonder why?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...?ocid=msedgdhp

Kansas GOP Rep. Steve Watkins was charged Tuesday with three felony counts of voter fraud related to the 2019 municipal elections, according to court records.

OOOH both sides do it!!!
    I guess that makes it okay then.

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedy. -- Ernest Benn

Comment

Originally posted by Tsar View Post

OOOH both sides do it!!!
      I guess that makes it okay then.

I thought they told us voter fraud doesn’t happen.
      How is this even possible?
      Avatar is General Gerard, courtesy of Zouave.

Churchill to Chamberlain: you had a choice between war and dishonor. You chose dishonor, and you will have war.

Comment

Originally posted by Cambronnne View Post

Because crooked Republicans did it again, as they did in North Carolina in the last election.
        Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts

Comment

Because crooked Republicans did it again, as they did in North Carolina in the last election.

But of course the Democrats are SOOOOO honest that they would never do anything like that.

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedy. -- Ernest Benn

Comment

So the left lied when it said voter fraud was a myth?

Churchill to Chamberlain: you had a choice between war and dishonor. You chose dishonor, and you will have war.

Comment

So the left lied when it said voter fraud was a myth?
              I don't think anybody seriously said that it didn't happen, just that it was statistically insignificant.

Comment

But of course the Democrats are SOOOOO honest that they would never do anything like that.
                Demonstrate that they have recently or in the past few elections.

The Republicans have done it twice in recent history and got caught. The overriding 'theme'
                from Trump and his supporters here is that the Democrats are guilty of it. That has not been proven and apparently is yet another false accusation.

Comment

Originally posted by Jutland View Post

I don't think anybody seriously said that it didn't happen, just that it was statistically insignificant.
                  It may be statistically insignificant, but I choose the word "myth" intentionally.

If you google the phrase "voter fraud myth" you will come up with a number of articles by reliably liberl news organizations using that word.
                  Unfortunately the boston globe and NYT articles are behind paywalls but the articles are there just the same.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/20/o...raud-myth.html

It isn't a "myth".
                  Chicago is well known for voter fraud and has been for decades. Anyone claiming it is a "myth" is simply ignoring history.
                  Whether it is happening now is open to question, but it was never a "myth".

Comment

It may be statistically insignificant, but I choose the word "myth" intentionally.

If you google the phrase "voter fraud myth" you will come up with a number of articles by reliably liberl news organizations using that word.
                    Unfortunately the boston globe and NYT articles are behind paywalls but the articles are there just the same.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/20/o...raud-myth.html

It isn't a "myth".
                    Chicago is well known for voter fraud and has been for decades. Anyone claiming it is a "myth" is simply ignoring history.
                    Whether it is happening now is open to question, but it was never a "myth".
                    It is a myth, it's a widely held belief that is contrary to the evidence presented.

Comment

Originally posted by Jutland View Post

It is a myth, it's a widely held belief that is contrary to the evidence presented.
                      well I guess that resolves that issue.

Except for the evidence to the contrary in the OP.

Comment

Who is the ubiquitous 'they'? What I have seen on this forum is the Trump supporters saying that voter fraud is rampant in the US without any sourcing or support. Those that disagree have said, if I recall correctly, that it is neither rampant nor widespread.

It looks to me that you are either misrepresenting what was said or constructing a strawman argument.

Perhaps this will help you:

https://www.heritage.org/voterfraud

As well as this:

https://thehill.com/opinion/civil-ri...er-fraud-fraud

Many states have moved toward voting by mail for the 2020 elections due to pandemic concerns, leaving only seven states lacking this option for all voters. Members of Congress have called for national legislation for a vote-by-mail option for federal elections this year, which would cover the remaining states. President Trump and some other Republicans have resisted, arguing that mail voting risks election fraud. There’s little empirical evidence to back up this fraud claim, but there have been enough instances of absentee ballot fraud over the years to make it worth a look.

Evidence for the pro-vote-by-mail side may come from an unlikely source: A database of fraud cases maintained by a conservative think tank that raises alarms over voter fraud and is decidedly not in the pro-mail ballot camp. Its data suggests that mail ballot related fraud is actually more common in states that restrict absentee voting than in other states.

The Heritage Foundation is an established conservative think tank. It has long raised the alarm about the perceived dangers of voter fraud, most notably as a justification for strict voter photo identification laws for in-person voting. But they have also spoken out against mail-in voting, suggesting, among several complaints, that it raises an unacceptable risk of fraud.

https://www.demos.org/sites/default/...s/Analysis.pdf

https://www.factcheck.org/2020/04/tr...isinformation/

President Donald Trump continues to add false and exaggerated statements to his already lengthy list of bogus voter fraud claims.
                        • There is no evidence to back up Trump’s blanket claim that “mailed ballots are corrupt.” Voting experts say the president is exaggerating when he says mail ballots are “fraudulent in many cases.” While the instances of voter fraud via mail-in or absentee ballots are more common than in-person voting fraud, the number of known cases is relatively rare.
                        • Trump also falsely claimed that California reached a settlement with Judicial Watch in which the state “agree[d] that a million people should not have voted.” California and Los Angeles County agreed to remove inactive voters from their voter rolls per federal law. But there’s no evidence any of them voted, fraudulently or otherwise.
                        • And as he has in the past, Trump claimed there’s “a lot of fraudulent voting going on in this country.” Experts say voter fraud is rare.

Trump’s latest round of voter fraud claims came as Wisconsin struggled with an election at a time when residents were wary of going to polls during the coronavirus pandemic.

Some Wisconsin Democrats, including Milwaukee Mayor Tom Barrett, urged to hold the election by mail and suspend in-person voting. Democratic Wisconsin Gov. Tony Evers tried to move the state’s April 7, but after a Republican challenge, the state Supreme Court ruled the governor’s decision was unconstitutional and the election went off as scheduled on April 7 with long lines and fewer polling places.

With uncertainty about the safety of voting in the presidential election November, some Democrats have called for mail-in voting to be considered as an alternative. Former Democratic presidential candidate, Sen. Elizabeth Warren, has suggested that a mail-in ballot should be sent to every voter in the country.

Comment

well I guess that resolves that issue.

Except for the evidence to the contrary in the OP.
                          Not really, the voter fraud myth pushes the narrative that elections are influenced by fraudulent behaviour.

If anything the OP reinforces reality; that fraud is rare and there are measures in place to capture it.

Comment

Well, they just might.
                            The more correct term and concept would be "election fraud", and the 2004 governor's race in my state might prove such possible. I'll get into the details and cut-n-paste excerpts shortly in following posts on that and a more recent and local example, shortly here.

For those whom want to read ahead, here's a primary source I'll be using to explain the complexities and weave of such;
                            https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004_W...orial_election

BTW, one will notice that the numbers amounted to about 130 votes either way, so while numbers might seem "insignificant", they were enough to matter.
                            TANSTAAFL = There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch

Comment

If you're the ones doing it, it's likely you're the ones claiming it doesn't happen, isn't possible, etc.
                              TANSTAAFL = There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X