Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And the cost. Is it worth repairing or building new? My bet is new.
    "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
      Best to save the $$$ and upgrade the existing ships.
      "In modern war... you will die like a dog for no good reason."
      Ernest Hemingway.

Ah, but a man's reach should exceed his grasp, Or what's a heaven for?

Comment

If the ship is salvageable, then she should be rebuilt.
        We are not now that strength which in old days
        Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
        Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
        To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

Comment

Originally posted by Massena View Post
          If the ship is salvageable, then she should be rebuilt.
          That depends. The Norwegian frigate was salvageable. But the cost of repairing or rebuilding it was higher than what building a new frigate would have been. If the USN is in desperate need for another similar ship they probably should consider building a new one too, or at least start making estimates as to how much it would cost.
          It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion, it is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed. The hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion

Comment

Originally posted by Herman Hum View Post
            What is the rationale behind this de-activation practice?
            It was under maintenance:

https://thehill.com/policy/defense/5...laze-broke-out
            "I don't discuss sitting presidents," Mattis tells NPR in an interview. "I believe that you owe a period of quiet."

Comment

Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
              How would you power the fire suppression system without the engines on? Running a cable to shore would get a lot of power, but I would not hook it to a California utility.

Pruitt
              I'm guessing they use shore power but it depends on how long they are in port.

The power went out on the Ogden while we were in Penang, we were out of power for a few hours until they got the power back up. We were only in port for 7 days....that might be why we didn't use shore power.

When the Gunston Hall had its fire during maintenance, the fire suppression system was working:

https://news.usni.org/2020/07/13/war...or-fire-damage
              "I don't discuss sitting presidents," Mattis tells NPR in an interview. "I believe that you owe a period of quiet."

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
                I'm pretty sure you are right on this.

They were bringing the flight deck up to standards for the F-35......now they have a flight deck, hangar spaces, and bulkheads that probably can't support CH-53s.

Comment

Originally posted by Nichols View Post

They were bringing the flight deck up to standards for the F-35......now they have a flight deck, hangar spaces, and bulkheads that probably can't support CH-53s.
                  And you are basing your 'probably' on what?
                  We are not now that strength which in old days
                  Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
                  Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
                  To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

Comment

Originally posted by Massena View Post

And you are basing your 'probably' on what?
                    Already clearly stated that...

Originally posted by Nichols View Post
                    If it is true that the fire started in the lower V deck....and it obviously made it to the flight deck and superstructure....I don't see how she can be saved.

The major 'oh boy' was that the fire suppression system was turned off. That plus the usual shipyard maintenance where all hatches are open and a minimal crew present....

She is toast unfortunately.

Please take some time to read the thread before you post a question that has already been answered.

Edit: IF you need me to explain where the lower V is on this class of ships, I can help you..
                    Last edited by Nichols; 17 Jul 20, 10:18.

Comment

A diagram of where the lower V is located:LHD.jpg

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                      X