This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nichols View Post

Does a carrier have an integral air wing or does it pick it up before deployment?

If she isn't an aircraft carrier, why does she have aircraft?
    I hope your only acting stupid.
    "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Does a carrier have an integral air wing or does it pick it up before deployment?

If she isn't an aircraft carrier, why does she have aircraft?
      I've been aboard fleet carriers and was aboard the Bon Homme Richard's sister ship, the USS Wasp, among other navy ships. The Bon Homme Richard is not an aircraft carrier but an amphibious assault ship.

Instead of begging the question, look her up in the naval registry. Your naval knowledge appears to be lacking.
      We are not now that strength which in old days
      Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
      Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
      To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

Comment

Originally posted by Massena View Post

I've been aboard fleet carriers and was aboard the Bon Homme Richard's sister ship, the USS Wasp, among other navy ships. The Bon Homme Richard is not an aircraft carrier but an amphibious assault ship.

Instead of begging the question, look her up in the naval registry. Your naval knowledge appears to be lacking.
        Still didn't answer the questions.

Does an aircraft carrier have an integral airwing or does it pick it up before deployment?

If she isnt an aircraft carrier, why does she have aircraft?

Two simple questions.

BTW, I did a deployment with the Boxer. She had aircraft on her. I would go to her everytime we did an over the horizon op with the small boat company to brief my nav plan.
        Last edited by Nichols; 14 Jul 20, 07:33.
        "I don't discuss sitting presidents," Mattis tells NPR in an interview. "I believe that you owe a period of quiet."

Comment

Both type ships pick up their aircraft when under way

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
            Both type ships pick up their aircraft when under way
            So the planes wouldn't have been damaged or contributed to the fire. Considering how much a F35b costs that is good news...
            "To be free is better than to be unfree - always."

Comment

Originally posted by Surrey View Post

So the planes wouldn't have been damaged or contributed to the fire. Considering how much a F35b costs that is good news...
              She was getting her flight deck modified for the F-35s...... I'm thinking they are going to have to write the ship off after this.

Also when they are not deployed, at home port the aircraft are back at thier bases.
              "I don't discuss sitting presidents," Mattis tells NPR in an interview. "I believe that you owe a period of quiet."

Comment

She was getting her flight deck modified for the F-35s...... I'm thinking they are going to have to write the ship off after this.

Also when they are not deployed, at home port the aircraft are back at thier bases.
                Good bet

Comment

The big difference is that the Marine Corps aircraft on an amphib belong to the embarked MEU. The carrier air wing on a fleet carrier belong to the ship.
                  Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post

Good bet
                    I do hope they can save her-that class of amphib are beautiful ships and extremely useful.

Comment

I do hope they can save her-that class of amphib are beautiful ships and extremely useful.
                      Might not be viable, she's already halfway through her expected service life, been in maintenance for two years costing $250 million. Assessing the damage will take a long time, and considering how much structural damage she seems to have on the superstructure she may even need a dry dock. Could be several years before we see her in action. The navy has been considering the idea of extending the service life of the Wasp class, from 40 years to between 46 and 53 years... but I'm not sure if that is still current planning.
                      It might be more prudent to salvage what they can and keep the other ships in the class going longer.
                      "In modern war... you will die like a dog for no good reason."
                      Ernest Hemingway.

Ah, but a man's reach should exceed his grasp, Or what's a heaven for?

Comment

Originally posted by Achtung Baby View Post

Might not be viable, she's already halfway through her expected service life, been in maintenance for two years costing $250 million. Assessing the damage will take a long time, and considering how much structural damage she seems to have on the superstructure she may even need a dry dock. Could be several years before we see her in action. The navy has been considering the idea of extending the service life of the Wasp class, from 40 years to between 46 and 53 years... but I'm not sure if that is still current planning.
                        It might be more prudent to salvage what they can and keep the other ships in the class going longer.
                        With the fire burning through the flight deck, I'm thinking the bulkheads are also weakened. I really can't see them putting additional funding to bring her back up to the point where she can operate F-35s. Especially with the America class ships on the way....

Also need to take in account of the new direction that the Marine Corps is going; no tanks, fewer cannons, fewer infantry battalions.

Something else, if history has a lesson to be taught..... Two Essex class carriers were severely damaged; Franklin & Bunker Hill. Those were the only 2 carriers that weren't recommissioned during the cold war.
                        Last edited by Nichols; 14 Jul 20, 18:26.

Comment

It would be a sad end to a proud ship.
                          Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.

Comment

Originally posted by Urban hermit View Post
                            It would be a sad end to a proud ship.
                            I understand what you are saying but I don't agree with it.

A sad end to a proud ship is what happened to the Yorktown class, USS Enterprise.

Comment

. . She is the size of a War II fleet carrier, but she is not an aircraft carrier.
                              Indeed, as you say, not a carrier.
                              She definitely is on fire though.
                              Unfortunately looking more like unlucky CV-13 than Bonnie Dick

Comment

With the fire burning through the flight deck, I'm thinking the bulkheads are also weakened. I really can't see them putting additional funding to bring her back up to the point where she can operate F-35s. Especially with the America class ships on the way....

Also need to take in account of the new direction that the Marine Corps is going; no tanks, fewer cannons, fewer infantry battalions.

Something else, if history has a lesson to be taught..... Two Essex class carriers were severely damaged; Franklin & Bunker Hill. Those were the only 2 carriers that weren't recommissioned during the cold war.
                                Also, the navy is struggling to regularly maintain the current ships due to limited dry docks. If for some chance she could be salvaged, it would be a very long time before ever seeing the ocean again.
                                "In modern war... you will die like a dog for no good reason."
                                Ernest Hemingway.

Ah, but a man's reach should exceed his grasp, Or what's a heaven for?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X