X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USS Bonhomme Richard on fire

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/news/n...se/5424436002/

Reports and pictures of a large fire on her. No details as to cause of explosion.
    "To be free is better than to be unfree - always."

Can't read the article because I use an ad blocker, but I am deeply saddened.

I hope this was accidental and no the psycho wungnut brigade.
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

image (1).jpg1_5021172.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Freebird View Post
        It looks a bit like pictures of burning carriers from ww2.

Comment

She isn't an aircraft carrier, she's an amphibious assault ship.
          We are not now that strength which in old days
          Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
          Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
          To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

Comment

Originally posted by Massena View Post
            I said she looked a bit like the pictures of aircraft carriers from ww2....

Comment

Originally posted by Surrey View Post

That's what I thought from the pictures.

Must have been caused by COVID.
              Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by Surrey View Post

Close in size and appearance to the original Essex class of CVs;
                https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Essex-...rcraft_carrier
                One of which was also named Bonhomme Richard.

With a straight, through length flight deck; put on arrestor wires aft and catapults fore and this would could do the same as a WWII ship.

An archive of interest here;
                Images for essex class aircraft carrier cutaway

TANSTAAFL = There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch
                “War is merely the continuation of politics by other means” - von Clausewitz

Comment

It doesn't carry aircraft?
                  "I don't discuss sitting presidents," Mattis tells NPR in an interview. "I believe that you owe a period of quiet."

Comment

LHD-6. the third US ship to carry the name Bonhomme Richard, launched in 1997, CV 31 was an Essex class carrier, Bonnie Dick was launched 1944, decommissioned in 1989,
                    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.

Comment

Originally posted by Urban hermit View Post
                      LHD-6. the third US ship to carry the name Bonhomme Richard, launched in 1997, CV 31 was an Essex class carrier, Bonnie Dick was launched 1944, decommissioned in 1989,
                      I know, she also carried AV-8B Harriers....which are aircraft. She was getting her flight deck prepped to carry F-35s.....which are aircraft.

I was only commenting on the one poster that jumped on the other poster that she isn't an aircraft carrier when he posted that:

"It looks a bit like pictures of burning carriers from ww2."

It does look a lot like the Franklin (CV-13) when she was hit by bombs on 19 March 45.

Strange historical facts:

The original Bonhomme Richard was named in honor of Benjamin Franklin and his 'Poor Richard's Almanac'

The USS Franklin was named after Benjamin Franklin.

For those that doubt that the subject Amphibious Assault Ship doesn't carry aircraft:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ck96...ature=emb_logo

The Bonhomme Richard was having her flight deck upgraded to handle the exhaust from the F-35s
                      "I don't discuss sitting presidents," Mattis tells NPR in an interview. "I believe that you owe a period of quiet."

Comment

Originally posted by Nichols View Post

I know, she also carried AV-8B Harriers....which are aircraft. She was getting her flight deck prepped to carry F-35s.....which are aircraft.

I was only commenting on the one poster that jumped on the other poster that she isn't an aircraft carrier when he posted that:

"It looks a bit like pictures of burning carriers from ww2."

It does look a lot like the Franklin (CV-13) when she was hit by bombs on 19 March 45.

Strange historical facts:

The original Bonhomme Richard was named in honor of Benjamin Franklin and his 'Poor Richard's Almanac'

The USS Franklin was named after Benjamin Franklin.

For those that doubt that the subject Amphibious Assault Ship doesn't carry aircraft:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ck96...ature=emb_logo

The Bonhomme Richard was having her flight deck upgraded to handle the exhaust from the F-35s
                        She carries aircraft along with embarked troops of a MEU which includes helicopters. But they are not integral to the ship's company and support an amphibious mission. She is the size of a War II fleet carrier, but she is not an aircraft carrier.
                        We are not now that strength which in old days
                        Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
                        Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
                        To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

Comment

This article says the fire is burning at 1,000 degrees, can the ship survive temps that high for very long?
                          Fire continues to burn aboard the USS Bonhomme Richard in San Diego.
                          Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.

Comment

She carries aircraft along with embarked troops of a MEU which includes helicopters. But they are not integral to the ship's company and support an amphibious mission. She is the size of a War II fleet carrier, but she is not an aircraft carrier.
                            Does a carrier have an integral air wing or does it pick it up before deployment?

If she isn't an aircraft carrier, why does she have aircraft?

Comment

Originally posted by Nichols View Post

Does a carrier have an integral air wing or does it pick it up before deployment?

If she isn't an aircraft carrier, why does she have aircraft?
                              In similar manner like this is a destroyer: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Izumo-...pter_destroyer
                              Or this is a cruiser: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kuznet...rcraft_carrier
                              Or this (after modifications) is a battleship: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_battleship_Ise

Though that last one is a tad on the same vein as the ship in question. That is it was (or was supposed to have) an airwing but it was not the main thing of the ship. Hence an air wing without being a carrier (i guess that is how the logic works).
                              It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion, it is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed. The hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X