This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pamak View Post

Can we agree that there is not any claim that any T-cell effect has brought immunity in Sweden?
    The whole conversation started while we were talking about "herd immunity" That there is some effect of t cells on immunity is not debated. Eve the article I cited mentions that " The body's T cell response may also be an important factor for immunity...", but an effect does not equate with "herd immunity"

And we also do not argue regarding if there must be "something" that causes the drop of death and cases across Europe and East Asia. We are debating if it is "herd immunity" what causes now this drop. And it is irresponsible to talk that it is herd immunity that causes sc drop when there are perfectly logical ways to explain possible causes for such drop and enough counter evidence to show that we have not developed herd immunity.

As you know deaths from viruses, including from the flu come in waves, and explaining a drop that you see during the last month is in no way evidence of herd immunity.
    On waves, just because some, or one in particular came in waves does not mean all do or Covid will. There is in fact no evidence Covid will. Covid unlike Spanish flu is not an influenza virus, it is not flu. Covid 1 hasn't returned. There is evidence of long lasting immunity to SARS 1, immune responses are still generated despite the virus largely disappearing in 2003.

If New York does not have a high level of immunity then how has there been no recurrence of infections?

According to Prof Gupta (head of epidemiology at Oxford university) having Covid continue at a low back ground level as it now is in most of Europe is probably best as it will mean that there will always be a significant level of immunity in the population and thus no epidemics.
    "To be free is better than to be unfree - always."

Comment

Originally posted by Surrey View Post

On waves, just because some, or one in particular came in waves does not mean all do or Covid will. There is in fact no evidence Covid will. Covid unlike Spanish flu is not an influenza virus, it is not flu. Covid 1 hasn't returned. There is evidence of long lasting immunity to SARS 1, immune responses are still generated despite the virus largely disappearing in 2003.

If New York does not have a high level of immunity then how has there been no recurrence of infections?

According to Prof Gupta (head of epidemiology at Oxford university) having Covid continue at a low back ground level as it now is in most of Europe is probably best as it will mean that there will always be a significant level of immunity in the population and thus no epidemics.
      This is not an argument for making a claim that we (or the Swedes) have achieved herd immunity. My point was to show that it is perfectly possible to have BOTH a temporary reduction of deaths and a condition in which there is no such thing as "herd immunity" and the population remains vulnerable to the same virus.

And actually, even if you accept the T-cell positive effect, there is evidence that this CV can come with a second wave. Read again the article I posted:

We know people make robust and sometimes long-lasting T cell responses to cold causing coronaviruses.
      However important the T cell response may be in clearing infection, it is clear that it does not prevent reinfection,
      which occurs regularly with the more common coronaviruses.
      My most dangerous mission: I landed in the middle of an enemy tank battalion and I immediately, started spraying bullets killing everybody around me having fun up until my computer froze...

Comment

Originally posted by Cambronnne View Post

I was unaware that the WHO was incapable of sin. The US government can lie, the Chinese absolutely can lie, but not the WHO.
        WHO can make error, but lying that is providing purposely false information is impossible. This is due on how WHO operate. A lie imply that all CDC and Health organization around the world did lie as well.

I did provide the name and a link of the WHO’s own expert in an earlier . It addressed the 1/14 tweet. See my post #46
        So this is not several experts but a single one who clearly stated that she expressed his opinion. Since she was also part of decision process at WHO she, in same time, lied and said the truth.

Never downplayed the threat?
        In an article defending the WHO, Time said:

In January, Tedros praised “China’s commitment to transparency and to supporting other countries. In many ways, China is actually setting a new standard for outbreak response.” This despite credible charges that China hid the scale of the virus and punished Chinese doctors who publicly warned that risks were growing.
        https://time.com/5836602/world-healt...n-coronavirus/
        Did China lied about scale ? Most likely. Has WHO lied by advice given to Members States ? No. So far I've asked you this question may times but never got an answer : Why do others Members States don't react like USA if they have been lied ?

The WHO downplayed the threat when it issued the 1?14 tweet and condemned trump’s travel ban.
        That was easy.
        Once again WHO, based on previous events asserted that travel ban was of limited effects. This is not downpling anything, the same advice had been issued about the last Ebola crisis.

Also:
        Though the organization declared the virus a global health emergency in January, Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus didn’t begin characterizing it as a pandemic until March 11, when the virus had already been confirmed in at least 114 countries.

and mentioned in the above article is how the WHO submits to China’s demands that Taiwan be ignored. The WHO submits to this political demand and ignores the health of the 24 million people in Taiwan and refused to consider Taiwan’s warnings.

The head of the WHO even stormed out of an interview when just asked about Taiwan.
        As usual some people here either don't read or have short memory. Taiwan CDC never warned about human to human transmission but asked WHO for more information. The mail is available on Taiwan CDC website and I've already posted it some months ago.

Sure sounds like politics play an important role In an organization allegedly just concerned with our health.
        The problem with person with limited knowledge about a field, here Science, is that they believe that everything is political. Hence in this case with WHO they simply ignore how decision are taken and take stance based only on a part of events. For the nth time, the process to issue advice in WHO is separate of Members States political game within WHO.

And until you acknowledge this fact, you're bound to make the same errors, again and again...

Comment

Originally posted by Metryll View Post

WHO can make error, but lying that is providing purposely false information is impossible. This is due on how WHO operate. A lie imply that all CDC and Health organization around the world did lie as well.

So this is not several experts but a single one who clearly stated that she expressed his opinion. Since she was also part of decision process at WHO she, in same time, lied and said the truth.

Did China lied about scale ? Most likely. Has WHO lied by advice given to Members States ? No. So far I've asked you this question may times but never got an answer : Why do others Members States don't react like USA if they have been lied ?

Once again WHO, based on previous events asserted that travel ban was of limited effects. This is not downpling anything, the same advice had been issued about the last Ebola crisis.

As usual some people here either don't read or have short memory. Taiwan CDC never warned about human to human transmission but asked WHO for more information. The mail is available on Taiwan CDC website and I've already posted it some months ago.

The problem with person with limited knowledge about a field, here Science, is that they believe that everything is political. Hence in this case with WHO they simply ignore how decision are taken and take stance based only on a part of events. For the nth time, the process to issue advice in WHO is separate of Members States political game within WHO.

And until you acknowledge this fact, you're bound to make the same errors, again and again...
          So ignoring medical information from Taiwan isn't political?
          Sorry for MY error.

Taiwan's explanation of the email.
          Owing to its experience with the SARS epidemic in 2003, Taiwan vigilantly kept track of information about the new outbreak. On December 31, 2019, Taiwan sent an email to the International Health Regulations (IHR) focal point under the World Health Organization (WHO), informing WHO of its understanding of the disease and also requesting further information from WHO. Given the lack of clarity at the time, as well as the many rumors that were circulating, Taiwan’s aim was to ensure that all relevant parties remained alert, especially since the outbreak occurred just before the Lunar New Year holiday, which typically sees tremendous amounts of travel. To be prudent, in the email we took pains to refer to atypical pneumonia, and specifically noted that patients had been isolated for treatment. Public health professionals could discern from this wording that there was a real possibility of human-to-human transmission of the disease. However, because at the time there were as yet no cases of the disease in Taiwan, we could not state directly and conclusively that there had been human-to-human transmission.
          https://www.cdc.gov.tw/En/Bulletin/D...Ouw?typeid=158

Yes, Taiwan asked for more information and indicated there was evidence suggesting human to human transmission.
          The WHO ignored that and said "no evidence of human to human".
          That is inconsistent with what they already knew from the Taiwan CDC.

MY expertise isn't medicine, it is law, I understand the concept of "evidence" and the concept of "knew or should have known".

The WHO had "evidence" from Taiwan and "knew or should have known" that they could not honestly say there was "no evidence" of human to human transmission.

The WHO certainly can make an error. But you might want to look at the praise the WHO had for the chinese in late jaunary even though the chinese were suppressing every bit of evidence they could find.
          That praise would be a "lie".
          Avatar is General Gerard, courtesy of Zouave.

Churchill to Chamberlain: you had a choice between war and dishonor. You chose dishonor, and you will have war.

Comment

Sorry for MY error.

Owing to its experience with the SARS epidemic in 2003, Taiwan vigilantly kept track of information about the new outbreak. On December 31, 2019, Taiwan sent an email to the International Health Regulations (IHR) focal point under the World Health Organization (WHO), informing WHO of its understanding of the disease and also requesting further information from WHO. Given the lack of clarity at the time, as well as the many rumors that were circulating, Taiwan’s aim was to ensure that all relevant parties remained alert, especially since the outbreak occurred just before the Lunar New Year holiday, which typically sees tremendous amounts of travel. To be prudent, in the email we took pains to refer to atypical pneumonia, and specifically noted that patients had been isolated for treatment. Public health professionals could discern from this wording that there was a real possibility of human-to-human transmission of the disease. However, because at the time there were as yet no cases of the disease in Taiwan, we could not state directly and conclusively that there had been human-to-human transmission.
            https://www.cdc.gov.tw/En/Bulletin/D...Ouw?typeid=158

Yes, Taiwan asked for more information and indicated there was evidence suggesting human to human transmission.

MY expertise isn't medicine, it is law, I understand the concept of "evidence" and the concept of "knew or should have known".

The WHO had "evidence" from Taiwan and "knew or should have known" that they could not honestly say there was "no evidence" of human to human transmission.

The WHO certainly can make an error. But you might want to look at the praise the WHO had for the chinese in late jaunary even though the chinese were suppressing every bit of evidence they could find.
            If your expertise is really law then you should be able to make the distinction between the claims "there is no evidence of human to human transmission" and "there is no CLEAR evidence of human to human transmission" which is what the WHO said and which is consistent also with Taiwan's statements.
            My most dangerous mission: I landed in the middle of an enemy tank battalion and I immediately, started spraying bullets killing everybody around me having fun up until my computer froze...

Comment

WHO did not ignored, it is actually the reverse : they did included Taiwan CDC observation.

Sorry for MY error.
              I agree this YOUR error

<snip> However, because at the time there were as yet no cases of the disease in Taiwan, we could not state directly and conclusively that there had been human-to-human transmission.

This is not what the bold part state. Actually it state the opposite : they write "conclusively", you read "suggesting". The trick probably work before a court otherwise you'd have used it. Before people with a scientific background its a quite hazardous path to follow.

The seed of your error :

No. As Pamak has already stated WHO declared that there was "no clear evidence of human to human".

The reason for your error.

Medicine is part of Science not Law. 10 = 2.

Your error :

No, in Science "no clear evidence" does not mean "no evidence". It mean "no certainty of evidence". WHO has never denied that there was human to human transmission. It stated that it did not knew for sure that there was (or not), which is entirely coherent with Taiwan CDC observation.

Which evidence ? There were very few by January. Genome was not sequenced before mid January and made available for all scientists.

Comment

Originally posted by Metryll View Post

WHO did not ignored, it is actually the reverse : they did included Taiwan CDC observation.

I agree this YOUR error

This is not what the bold part state. Actually it state the opposite : they write "conclusively", you read "suggesting". The trick probably work before a court otherwise you'd have used it. Before people with a scientific background its a quite hazardous path to follow.

The seed of your error :

No. As Pamak has already stated WHO declared that there was "no clear evidence of human to human".

The reason for your error.

Medicine is part of Science not Law. 10 = 2.

Your error :

No, in Science "no clear evidence" does not mean "no evidence". It mean "no certainty of evidence". WHO has never denied that there was human to human transmission. It stated that it did not knew for sure that there was (or not), which is entirely coherent with Taiwan CDC observation.

Which evidence ? There were very few by January. Genome was not sequenced before mid January and made available for all scientists.

Wait, you honestly believe that the Chinese were not suppressing evidence?

A respected Chinese virologist who says she did some of the earliest research into COVID-19 last year has accused Beijing of lying about when it learned of the deadly virus and engaging in an extensive cover-up of her work, according to a new report.

In a new interview with Fox News, Dr. Li-Meng Yan says her supervisors at the Hong Kong School of Public Health, a reference laboratory for the World Health Organization, silenced her when she sounded the alarm about human-to-human transmission in December last year.

https://nypost.com/2020/07/10/chines...d-19-cover-up/

Reporters Without Borders (RSF) calls on the Chinese authorities to urgently clarify the situation of Dr. Ai Fen, a whistleblower who has been unreachable for the past two weeks after giving interviews to the media in which she criticized Beijing’s censorship of information about the coronavirus epidemic.

https://rsf.org/en/news/whistleblowi...rus-censorship

Armed with the photo of a test, Li spoke about the ongoing epidemic for the first time on 30 December with former faculty of medicine students in a private discussion group on the messaging service WeChat. The alarm was sounded. His messages were shared very widely on the microblogging website Weibo.

But they were also seen by the authorities. Two days later, on 1 January, Li and seven other doctors were questioned. Li was grilled for several hours and, on 3 January, the police forced him to sign a statement recognizing that he had “spread false rumours.”

https://rsf.org/en/news/coronavirus-...china-silenced

"no clear evidence" means there is no evidence suggesting human to human transmission in this case.
                And yet there was "evidence" as already repeatedly established.

Taiwan gave evidence that suggested human to human transmission. an honest investigatoir would not ignore that information and say "no clear evidence". Sorry, but there was evidence to suggest humna to human was happening, soi when they say "no clear evidence" they are ignoring what the taiwanese told them.

You'll note that the respected viroligist found evidence of human to human transmission last december.

Anyway, I'm tired of posting the exact same information repeatedly.
                The WHO's error (lie) may have cost thousands of lives and its credibility.
                You can pretend I'm the only one who thinks this but that wouldn't be true.

OMG look:

The WHO’s leadership has come under unprecedented scrutiny during the pandemic for giving the impression that it has been swayed by, and beholden to, China. In late January, in the early days of the outbreak, the WHO’s director general, Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, heaped unqualified praise on China’s COVID-19 policy measures and the leadership of Xi Jinping. He commended the “seriousness” with which China was taking the outbreak, “the commitment from top leadership, and the transparency they have demonstrated”.

But non-transparency and censorship are pervasive in all levels of China’s system of government. Tedros had been warned by his aides of the potential repercussions of his effusive praise of China, but reportedly ignored them. It appears the WHO also took the initial information and data about the epidemic transmitted to it by China at face value.
                https://theconversation.com/the-worl...inquiry-138959

Australia is one of the most recent countries to raise doubts about how China handled the outbreak, and Prime Minister Marise Payne has called for a national investigation into the virus' origins. Appearing on ABC television in Australia, Payne said her concerns about China's transparency were at "a very high point."
                https://www.newsweek.com/australia-b...ntries-1498945

But at least the WHO was satisfied with CHina's response.

You've convinced me though. I will pretend away contrary information too.
                Avatar is General Gerard, courtesy of Zouave.

Churchill to Chamberlain: you had a choice between war and dishonor. You chose dishonor, and you will have war.

Comment

^^^^^^ Remember, minds(/positions) of participants are seldom changed in these exchanges of posts on a thread; but often there are far more reading than posting and those 'silent' readers can be more flexible in adjusting their positions based on information provided since they don't have a "screen face" to save.
                  TANSTAAFL = There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch
                  “War is merely the continuation of politics by other means” - von Clausewitz

Comment

FOX 35 INVESTIGATES: Florida Department of Health says some labs have not reported negative COVID-19 results

ORLANDO, Fla. - After FOX 35 News noticed errors in the state's report on positivity rates, the Florida Department of Health said that some laboratories have not been reporting negative test result data to the state.

Countless labs have reported a 100 percent positivity rate, which means every single person tested was positive. Other labs had very high positivity rates. FOX 35 News found that testing sites like one local Centra Care reported that 83 people were tested and all tested positive. Then, NCF Diagnostics in Alachua reported 88 percent of tests were positive.
                    How could that be? FOX 35 News investigated these astronomical numbers, contacting every local location mentioned in the report.

The report showed that Orlando Health had a 98 percent positivity rate. However, when FOX 35 News contacted the hospital, they confirmed errors in the report. Orlando Health's positivity rate is only 9.4 percent, not 98 percent as in the report.

The report also showed that the Orlando Veteran’s Medical Center had a positivity rate of 76 percent. A spokesperson for the VA told FOX 35 News on Tuesday that this does not reflect their numbers and that the positivity rate for the center is actually 6 percent.

FOX 35 News went on to speak with the Florida Department of Health on Tuesday. They confirmed that although private and public laboratories are required to report positive and negative results to the state immediately, some have not. Specifically, they said that some smaller, private labs were not reporting negative test result data to the state.
                    https://www.fox35orlando.com/news/fo...vid-19-results

Also reported here...
                    https://www.theblaze.com/news/florid...reaking%20News

Minor details, who needs the negative part of the test numbers ???

Comment

"no clear evidence" means there is no evidence suggesting human to human transmission in this case.
                      And yet there was "evidence" as already repeatedly established...
                      Only for those who want to be imprecise with the document they read.

"No clear evidence" means that there is no evidence that establishes a clear connection to the claim that there is human to human transmission.

When one deals with a novel virus it is irrational to demand the quick establishment of clear connections to any claim without having debates and initial reservations. The WHO DID talk about human to human transmission about a week after it mentioned that there was no "clear evidence" of human to human transmission." Such period does not show any deception from the WHO. It simply reflects the natural ambiguity that existed at the time which demanded farther investigation before making a more definite statement about the virus' characteristics.

Also, when you make claims against WHO based on its statements you must present the actual facts regarding these statements and not trying to insert your interpretations of what WHO said. And you like it or not, the WHO talked about "no clear evidence" and did not simply ay "no evidence" as you claimed initially.

... It was a week later that the WHO said there was "no evidence" of human to human transmission. As such, the WHO "knew of should have known" that saying there was "no evidence" was a false statement...

The only false statement I see here is yours regarding what WHO said...
                      Last edited by pamak; 15 Jul 20, 16:22.

Comment

Originally posted by pamak View Post

Only for those who want to be imprecise with the document they read.

"No clear evidence" means that there is no evidence that establishes a clear connection to the claim.

When one deals with a novel virus it is irrational to demand the quick establishment of clear connections to any claim without having debates and initial reservations. The WHO DID talk about human to human transmission about a week after it mentioned that there was no "clear evidence" of human to human transmission." Such period does not show any deception from the WHO. It simply reflects the natural ambiguity that existed at the time which demanded farther investigation before making a more definite statement about the virus' characteristics
                        Strange how that gets forgotten when some claim that Trump didn't act soon enough or effectively enough, etc.

Especially when during first critical two months PRChina sat on essential data and mis-reported numbers of cases, and other crucial information; much as they have continued to do up to this date.

Comment

Originally posted by G David Bock View Post

Strange how that gets forgotten when some claim that Trump didn't act soon enough or effectively enough, etc.

Especially when during first critical two months PRChina sat on essential data and mis-reported numbers of cases, and other crucial information; much as they have continued to do up to this date.
                          Did you miss the fact that Trump was actually talking about a Democratic manufactured "hoax" in February and a month after WHO clarified that there were human to human transmissions?

I even posted the video in another thread

Same with Pence who again in February was praising China's unprecedented transparency. I posted that video too in this thread

https://forums.armchairgeneral.com/f...57#post5207657
                          Last edited by pamak; 15 Jul 20, 16:26.

Comment

Wait, you honestly believe that the Chinese were not suppressing evidence?
                            Until a clear evidence of such behavior is set, I'll side with all CDC and Health organization which don't support this claim. Unlike you they don't consider their beliefs as facts.

A respected Chinese virologist who says she did some of the earliest research into COVID-19 last year has accused Beijing of lying about when it learned of the deadly virus and engaging in an extensive cover-up of her work, according to a new report.

In a new interview with Fox News, Dr. Li-Meng Yan says her supervisors at the Hong Kong School of Public Health, a reference laboratory for the World Health Organization, silenced her when she sounded the alarm about human-to-human transmission in December last year.

https://nypost.com/2020/07/10/chines...d-19-cover-up/
                            #1 AFAIK Hong Kong School of Public Health is not a WHO reference laboratory. At least it is not listed as a member of GISRS

https://www.who.int/influenza/gisrs_...flabs/list/en/

#2 COVID-19 designation as well SRAS-Cov2 virus designation date of February 11, 2020. Genome was not available before mid January. No one knew what the new virus was in December and certainly not its mode of transmission.

So either this person posses some divination power or she don't give all informations about his warning and why it was not followed.

Reporters Without Borders (RSF) calls on the Chinese authorities to urgently clarify the situation of Dr. Ai Fen, a whistleblower who has been unreachable for the past two weeks after giving interviews to the media in which she criticized Beijing’s censorship of information about the coronavirus epidemic.

https://rsf.org/en/news/whistleblowi...rus-censorship

Armed with the photo of a test, Li spoke about the ongoing epidemic for the first time on 30 December with former faculty of medicine students in a private discussion group on the messaging service WeChat. The alarm was sounded. His messages were shared very widely on the microblogging website Weibo.

But they were also seen by the authorities. Two days later, on 1 January, Li and seven other doctors were questioned. Li was grilled for several hours and, on 3 January, the police forced him to sign a statement recognizing that he had “spread false rumours.”

https://rsf.org/en/news/coronavirus-...china-silenced
                            Would you read now my post, since you don't seem to have, you'll dicover that I stated several times that China most likely lied about epidemy true scale. Surprise..

And yet there was "evidence" as already repeatedly established.

Taiwan gave evidence that suggested human to human transmission. an honest investigatoir would not ignore that information and say "no clear evidence". Sorry, but there was evidence to suggest humna to human was happening, soi when they say "no clear evidence" they are ignoring what the taiwanese told them.

"No clear evidence hormone treatment in early pregnancy helps prevent miscarriage

Further research is needed before we know whether progesterone could benefit some women with recurrent miscarriages."

https://www.nhs.uk/news/pregnancy-an...t-miscarriage/

It's exactly what have been said to you : No clear evidence mean uncertainty.

Science : 1
                            Law : 0

You'll note that the respected viroligist found evidence of human to human transmission last december.
                            Found evidence ? Really ? And how she got this result ? Tea leafs, tarot cards or good old crystal ball ?

Anyway, I'm tired of posting the exact same information repeatedly.
                            Well, I warned you that trying to search about non existant fact can be quite time consumming...

The WHO's error (lie) may have cost thousands of lives and its credibility.
                            You can pretend I'm the only one who thinks this but that wouldn't be true.
                            Oh I'm certain that you're not the only believing that they know what they speak of by using skill unrelated to the field in use while being wrong...

But at least the WHO was satisfied with CHina's response.
                            It was China which warned WHO about the new virus. You did not knew ?

You've convinced me though.
                            If it was the case you would have recognized that what you believe about WHO, Science and how scientists work was basically wrong. But to be honest I'll not keep my breathe on this hypotetical event.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                            X