X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Urban hermit
    replied
    Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

I agree, up to point. Not everyone is psychologically suited to the ER, and the liabilities under our current everybody-is-a-victim-who-can-we-sue system would be enormous.

It would take a lot of mental and emotional toughening up before I would allow any of today's wussified y0uth to face much of anything, and entirely different educational system.

Making every student go into the military for two or three years would be just as good, only NO psych discharges. I'm a Heinlein fan - no service, no citizenship.
    I really like the idea, though!
    I think it would change and probably save lives,

Leave a comment:

• Mountain Man
    replied
    Originally posted by Urban hermit View Post

I have said this on the forum many times, every high school student should be required to work 90 hrs in an emergency room, 90 hrs riding with police and 90 hrs riding with EMTs before graduating. I think we would see an improvement in civility.
    I agree, up to point. Not everyone is psychologically suited to the ER, and the liabilities under our current everybody-is-a-victim-who-can-we-sue system would be enormous.

It would take a lot of mental and emotional toughening up before I would allow any of today's wussified y0uth to face much of anything, and entirely different educational system.

Making every student go into the military for two or three years would be just as good, only NO psych discharges. I'm a Heinlein fan - no service, no citizenship.
    I really like the idea, though!

Leave a comment:

• TactiKill J.
    replied
    Originally posted by G David Bock View Post

1) Setting off ILLEGAL fireworks would be reason enough to "call the cops" for many/most people.
    2) What part of: "Local young woman, instead of calling police to come and deal with the matter, follows advice of the local "community organizer" and confronts the youths herself." ---- did you fail to understand ?
    3) Are supporting probable illegal possession of a firearm, AND murder with that firearm?
    4) First experience of being chased and shot at should have convinced her to not repeat. Should also have been sufficient to get the police to respond on second occasion.
    1. I disagree. You're projecting.
    2. The part you're not understanding is the reason why they're not calling the cops to begin with. So I'll ask again, what are the cops doing to build trust within those communities so they will feel more comfortable calling on them more often?
    3. If she trusted the cops enough to call them, if cops did enough to establish that trust, then she would never have come face to face with that firearm.
    4. Goes to show how little these communities trust the police, and for good reason.

Leave a comment:

• Urban hermit
    replied

Actually, that would be an excellent learning experience for community leaders. We could carefully observe how they deal with druggers and gangbangers withing their own communities, without resorting to anything that LEO's would normally do.

As for the second demand - why close military bases overseas?
    I have said this on the forum many times, every high school student should be required to work 90 hrs in an emergency room, 90 hrs riding with police and 90 hrs riding with EMTs before graduating. I think we would see an improvement in civility.

Leave a comment:

• G David Bock
    replied
    Originally posted by TactiKill J. View Post

Not relevant. Hypothetically the woman may not have had a need to call the cops, if crime was lower, but that does not mean her faith in law enforcement would be higher.
    1) Setting off ILLEGAL fireworks would be reason enough to "call the cops" for many/most people.
    2) What part of: "Local young woman, instead of calling police to come and deal with the matter, follows advice of the local "community organizer" and confronts the youths herself." ---- did you fail to understand ?
    3) Are supporting probable illegal possession of a firearm, AND murder with that firearm?
    4) First experience of being chased and shot at should have convinced her to not repeat. Should also have been sufficient to get the police to respond on second occasion.

Leave a comment:

• TactiKill J.
    replied

Trump is president, and we're talking about the BLM, who are domestic terrorists. The goals of those two disparate parties have zero common ground.
    So it's ok for Trump to want to remove foreign bases, even from South Korea of all places, but not BLM. Got it. Your issue is not with the idea itself, but with who proposes the idea, which is very American of you.

FWIW Trump is just as much a domestic terrorist as BLM is, if that's the bar we want to set. After-all he is the one that cut funding used to be combat domestic terrorism, so at the very least he is complicit. Not to mention his private armies that are violating constitutional rights.

Leave a comment:

• Mountain Man
    replied
    Regarding foreign bases, looks like we've finally found common ground!

https://www.theatlantic.com/internat...e-down/493439/
    Trump is president, and we're talking about the BLM, who are domestic terrorists. The goals of those two disparate parties have zero common ground.

Leave a comment:

• TactiKill J.
    replied
    Regarding foreign bases, looks like we've finally found common ground!

What Trump says: He has suggested pulling back American troops from various places, especially South Korea, where he questioned the utility of U.S. bases, without which “maybe you would have had a unified Korea. Who knows what would have happened? In the meantime, what have we done? So we’ve kept peace, but in the meantime we’ve let North Korea get stronger and stronger.” Trump also said he would speak with North Korean dictator Kim Jong Un, apparently without preconditions, and accept a visit to the United States by him. The offer of conversation alarmed even close Trump confidants. Despite insisting the U.S. cannot afford to maintain so many bases, Trump has promised to spend heavily on rebuilding the U.S. armed forces. “We will spend what we need to rebuild our military,” he said. “It is the cheapest investment we can make. We will develop, build and purchase the best equipment known to mankind. Our military dominance must be unquestioned.”
    https://www.theatlantic.com/internat...e-down/493439/

Leave a comment:

• Mountain Man
    replied
    Originally posted by Urban hermit View Post
    Here we go, put policing into the hands of community leaders,,,
    Actually, that would be an excellent learning experience for community leaders. We could carefully observe how they deal with druggers and gangbangers withing their own communities, without resorting to anything that LEO's would normally do.

As for the second demand - why close military bases overseas?

Leave a comment:

• TactiKill J.
    replied

No, I said in reference to the OP and BLM.

And the foreign bases?
    How can you say you were referencing the OP when you quoted me? The post you were responding to was in reference to this article https://www.theblaze.com/news/woman-...t%20270%20days

Leave a comment:

• TactiKill J.
    replied
    Originally posted by slick_miester View Post

I grew up in the 'hood, and neighbors called cops daily -- for domestic incidents, for burglaries, muggings, auto thefts. Black, white, or brown, they called the cops. I'd say the divide was not racial, but age: older folks were far more likely to call police than were younger cohorts. That was my observation, at any rate.
    Those would be extreme situations and also agree on age.

Leave a comment:

• Mountain Man
    replied

You say in response to a situation where the person did not call the cops.

Trust me, this is nothing new. Black people only call the cops in extreme circumstances. So no, I disagree that they're the first to demand law enforcement.
    No, I said in reference to the OP and BLM.

And the foreign bases?

Leave a comment:

• slick_miester
    replied

You say in response to a situation where the person did not call the cops.

Trust me, this is nothing new. Black people only call the cops in extreme circumstances. So no, I disagree that they're the first to demand law enforcement.
    I grew up in the 'hood, and neighbors called cops daily -- for domestic incidents, for burglaries, muggings, auto thefts. Black, white, or brown, they called the cops. I'd say the divide was not racial, but age: older folks were far more likely to call police than were younger cohorts. That was my observation, at any rate.

Leave a comment:

• TactiKill J.
    replied
    So what are cops doing so that young woman like her, trust them enough to call for their assistance?

Leave a comment:

• TactiKill J.
    replied
    Originally posted by G David Bock View Post

If this is in reference to the the post (#24) preceding, the quick summary is this;

Young punks are setting off illegal fireworks.
    Local young woman, instead of calling police to come and deal with the matter, follows advice of the local "community organizer" and confronts the youths herself.
    One of these "upstanding young citizens" pulls a pistol (odds are he is underage and not legal to possess such) and starts to chase her and shoot at her.
    Fortunately he misses, somehow she recovers spent ammo casings and the "yoouts" ID.

A couple days later this same group of young males are again setting off illegal fireworks, ...
    ... again this young women asks them to stop (has chosen not to involve the police in the matter).
    This time the lad packing the pistol fires again multiple times, hits and kills the young woman, shooting into her fallen body until the weapon is empty ... click, click, click.

You are right. Members of "this community" continue to chose unlawful behavior, continue to attack and kill other members of their community, continue to, as her mother pointed out:
    "...You don't know who you are approaching. These kids are not respectful anymore. ... They're more ruthless." "

If it will ever change, it will have to start with a change of mind, attitude, and conduct by those whom repeat this low value of others' lives, repeat the engage of assaults, illegal activities, and crimes.

After decades of "rinse and repeat" it would seem those that need to change, won't change, so "nothing" positive is being done, other than an occasional "recycle of karma", which at this point there may need to be a bit more of with regard to the resident thugs.
    Not relevant. Hypothetically the woman may not have had a need to call the cops, if crime was lower, but that does not mean her faith in law enforcement would be higher.

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X