Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trump is Having a Bad Day at the Supreme Court

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by TactiKill J. View Post

    Must be something pretty bad in there if he's fighting this hard to keep them secret?
    Yep, he's a con-artist and a grifter.

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by pamak View Post
      The attempt by the Trump administration to promote an idea of imperial style presidency with absolute immunity fell flat and could not convince more than 2 judges. Alito and Thomas showed once more that they hold extremist judicial views which actually endanger the republic.

      Still, Trump accomplished one of his objectives: make sure that he can continue hide his financial dealings until well after the election.
      Congress isnt an investigation and prosecution branch, they dont get to go fishing.

      Maybe when the Dems were in control they should have passed a law requiring disclosure.

      Comment


      • #18
        Note that the Supreme Court also, 7 to 2, denied Congress (Pelosi Democrats) from getting his tax records. Only the prosecutors in the court case will eventually be allowed access. If they show up, it will be because State Prosecutors would have violated privacy laws by leaking the information to the Alphabet Media.

        I do find it interesting on how we were not allowed to see requested information about Obama and the amount of money spent to keep secret his activities. There seemed to be no outrage by Democrats or the Obama Worshiping Media
        https://www.cbsnews.com/news/obama-a...its-last-year/
        “Breaking News,”

        “Something irrelevant in your life just happened and now we are going to blow it all out of proportion for days to keep you distracted from what's really going on.”

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by Freebird View Post

          Congress isnt an investigation and prosecution branch, they dont get to go fishing.

          Maybe when the Dems were in control they should have passed a law requiring disclosure.
          The SCOTUS still recognize that the Congress is a coequal branch and the president's position of absolute immunity which impedes ANY investigation by the Congress is extreme. The lower courts were instructed to proceed taking in consideration the above.
          My most dangerous mission: I landed in the middle of an enemy tank battalion and I immediately, started spraying bullets killing everybody around me having fun up until my computer froze...

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by SRV Ron View Post
            Note that the Supreme Court also, 7 to 2, denied Congress (Pelosi Democrats) from getting his tax records. Only the prosecutors in the court case will eventually be allowed access. If they show up, it will be because State Prosecutors would have violated privacy laws by leaking the information to the Alphabet Media.

            I do find it interesting on how we were not allowed to see requested information about Obama and the amount of money spent to keep secret his activities. There seemed to be no outrage by Democrats or the Obama Worshiping Media
            https://www.cbsnews.com/news/obama-a...its-last-year/
            No, it did not deny it in principle.

            It instructed the courts to proceed taking consideration both the fact that Congress is a coequal branch of government which can investigate issues and the fact that the Congress cannot just go out for a fishing expedition.

            In essence the court ruled that the position of BOTH parties (Congress with its intrusive demands and Executive Branch with its claim of absolute immunity) cannot be maintained.

            So, the SCOTUS decision on this issue is more like a compromise trying to legally satisfy both parties. Politically, of course, Trump got what he wanted and will manage to end his term without having his financial information revealed in public.
            Last edited by pamak; 10 Jul 20, 12:35.
            My most dangerous mission: I landed in the middle of an enemy tank battalion and I immediately, started spraying bullets killing everybody around me having fun up until my computer froze...

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by pamak View Post

              The SCOTUS still recognize that the Congress is a coequal branch and the president's position of absolute immunity which impedes ANY investigation by the Congress is extreme. The lower courts were instructed to proceed taking in consideration the above.
              Indeed, and it was correctly decided.
              However the lower court would still need to find a legitimate reason to demand the returns.

              Originally posted by SRV Ron View Post
              Note that the Supreme Court also, 7 to 2, denied Congress (Pelosi Democrats) from getting his tax records. Only the prosecutors in the court case will eventually be allowed access. If they show up, it will be because State Prosecutors would have violated privacy laws by leaking the information to the Alphabet Media.
              Actually Pelosi & her apparatchiks COULD hypothetically demand to see the returns in the future, they just didn't show any legitimate legislative or oversight function for them to request them at this time.
              It's hard to see what need they would have, it's more appropriate for the IRS, FBI, or state law enforcement to investigate any hypothetical wrongdoing.

              Comment

              Latest Topics

              Collapse

              Working...
              X