Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

White Privilege, does it exist in the USA? The answer may not surprise you......

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speaking of public housing...

I suppose that Old Man Trump knows just how much racial hate
    He stirred up in that bloodpot of human hearts
    When he drawed that color line
    Here at his Beach Haven family project

Beach Haven ain't my home!
    No, I just can't pay this rent!
    My money's down the drain,
    And my soul is badly bent!
    Beach Haven is Trump’s Tower
    Where no black folks come to roam,
    No, no, Old Man Trump!
    Old Beach Haven ain't my home!

Woody Guthrie, circa 1954, former tenant of Freddy's

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Man_Trump

Comment

Originally posted by Canuckster View Post
      Speaking of public housing...

I suppose that Old Man Trump knows just how much racial hate
      He stirred up in that bloodpot of human hearts
      When he drawed that color line
      Here at his Beach Haven family project

Beach Haven ain't my home!
      No, I just can't pay this rent!
      My money's down the drain,
      And my soul is badly bent!
      Beach Haven is Trump’s Tower
      Where no black folks come to roam,
      No, no, Old Man Trump!
      Old Beach Haven ain't my home!

Woody Guthrie, circa 1954, former tenant of Freddy's

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Man_Trump
      Maybe he could have set this prose to music:

United States v Fred C Trump, Donald Trump, and Trump Management Inc, Jun 1975

Back in the '50s, Fred Trump was developing some pretty large parcels in the Gravesend and Coney Island sections of Brooklyn. If I recall correctly, Fred Trump got seriously busy in that neighborhood.

It was almost inevitable that such a lovely, viable haimishe world should have attracted the attention of the city’s arch nemesis, Robert Moses. The Power Broker went to work on Coney in the late ’40s and ’50s much as he did in the Bronx, determined to convert its slightly dilapidated, much-cherished humanity into his same-old, same-old Corbusier master plan of towers surrounded by parks and cars.

Moses “improved” the boardwalk by tearing a new path for it right through a swath of businesses and the municipal bathhouse—thereby discouraging any and all potential investors. He planted the city’s aquarium out on the site of the old Dreamland Park, where no one wanted it and no one came to see it. He tore down the venerable working-class neighborhood in central Coney Island known as “the Gut,” and started a rampage through the neighborhoods and amusements on the west end of the island, courtesy of federal funds provided under the Title I urban renewal program.

Perhaps the worst part of Moses’s depredations, as always, is that they were committed in the name of social progress and urban improvement. Determined to build a sort of Jones Beach with housing projects, he vehemently rejected the claim that Coney could go on much as it always had, insisting in 1958 that the area was “rotting inside and out in spite of nostalgic fables.”

At first, he at least put up some decent, economically integrated public housing, but before long, the city was simply warehousing everything it could out in Coney: the sick, the old, the indigent; social-welfare services of every kind. Even after Moses was finally toppled, the city went on like some science-fiction, cyborg race programmed to destroy, using Title I funds to bulldoze block after block of perfectly good, affordable, occupied housing, annihilating the bustling shopping district along Mermaid Avenue—where, until the late 1960s, you could find a book, or a supermarket, or a pair of shoes.

Private developers grabbed up the spoils of all this public blockbusting, especially Fred Trump, father of Donald, who filled in what had been the Gut with towers of his own. Trump also bought the still-profitable Steeplechase, the last of the great parks, for cheap (mostly because Marie Tilyou, granddaughter of the park’s founder, preferred to see it demolished, rather than entertain the black residents from many of Coney’s new projects).

When Trump caught wind of a rumor that the grand old lady of Coney might be landmarked under the city’s new preservation laws, he moved fast. Hastily scheduling another demolition, he paused only long enough to hold a party inside the park the night before the wreckers were due. To make sure he drew some publicity, Trump invited six leggy showgirls and handed all his guests bricks—bricks they were invited to hurl through the legendary, painted glass trellis that housed most of Steeplechase.

"Coney Island’s Grand Past and Grim Future," by Kevin Baker, The Village Voice, 25 May 2010
      That's what was going on three back then. The post-WW2 slum was not inevitable: it was constructed, brick by brick, by racists like Robert Moses. And apparently assisted by men like Fred Trump.
      Last edited by slick_miester; 10 Jul 20, 11:30.
      I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

I keep forgetting...how rich did Obama become during his presidency? And how rich did the Clintons become? And how many million dollars per year do black athletes, movie and entertainment stars make? How much does Pelosi, Soros and Waters have?

But's it's only bad if it's Trump?

Come on, people...

Comment

I was told once that I scored highest on the programming test and scored highest in the interview for a job I was applying for, but they gave the job to a Indian woman because of her sex and race. There was no "white privilege" then.

“Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.” -- Albert Einstein

The US Constitution doesn't need to be rewritten it needs to be reread

Comment

Originally posted by slick24 View Post
            I was told once that I scored highest on the programming test and scored highest in the interview for a job I was applying for, but they gave the job to a Indian woman because of her sex and race. There was no "white privilege" then.
            But these days you are guilty for even pointing that out. Strange times we live in.

Comment

Originally posted by slick_miester View Post
              Not sure what sort of lyrics he could have come up with but maybe the tune would be something along the lines of "I Aint Got No Home in the World No More". For whatever reason he never recorded "Old Man Trump".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Z6OEqc0uS0

Interesting and relevant to today's current events, author Joe Klein wrote this in 1981...

On his visits to the migrant camps that autumn [1938], Woody found that one of the more popular songs was a bouncy, jolly Baptist hymn called "This World Is Not My Home," which had been made popular by the Carter Family....

There was something about the song that bothered Woody. It was a mild annoyance at first, but it developed into a grating, pulsing anger as the weeks passed and he couldn't wipe either the tune or the idea from his mind. He was hearing the words in a different way than he'd ever heard them before. He was beginning to understand that the effect of this song was to tell the migrants to wait, and be meek, and be rewarded in the next life. It was telling them to accept the hovels and the hunger and the disease. It was telling them not to strike, and not to fight back. He was outraged by the idea that such an innocent-sounding song could be so insidious. An alternative set of words exploded out of him, and stood the song on its head....

Not only was "I Ain't Got No Home" a clever parody of the fundamentalist sensibility and a fine song in its own right, it also represented a clear turning point in Woody's life. It was a rejection of the passive Eastern spiritualism that had fascinated hi, since Pampa (and also a rebuke to his old idols, the Carter Family). It was, in a way, a call to arms -- at the very least, an attack on inaction.

Back in the '50s, Fred Trump was developing some pretty large parcels in the Gravesend and Coney Island sections of Brooklyn. If I recall correctly, Fred Trump got seriously busy in that neighborhood.

That's what was going on three back then. The post-WW2 slum was not inevitable: it was constructed, brick by brick, by racists like Robert Moses. And apparently assisted by men like Fred Trump.
              Interesting additional comments but for some reason they only showed up when I wanted t quote you.

Comment

Originally posted by Nichols View Post

I read the link and it provides proof of what I have been saying.

I recommend that you read the link after you read the thread up to the point of the link.
                Everybody who can actually read, can see in your link that both democrats and republicans were in charge during the period mentioned in the article when whites got an advantage in subsidized housing...
                My most dangerous mission: I landed in the middle of an enemy tank battalion and I immediately, started spraying bullets killing everybody around me having fun up until my computer froze...

Comment

Originally posted by slick24 View Post

I was a partner in one mid sized firm and a founding partner in another one.
                  Each of them did work for the city of Chicago and a major retailer (think "people of...")
                  Each of those entities required that we meet certain quotas of minority attorneys.
                  Since black attorneys were in such high demand we were rarely able to pay them enough to stay.
                  As a result, we ended up hiring a number of Asian females.
                  A single Asian female could count as 2 minorities (1) asian, 2) female)

I always thought it odd because the only stigmas that Asians had to deal with was the belief that they are smarter and harder working than everyone else.
                  Avatar is General Gerard, courtesy of Zouave.

Churchill to Chamberlain: you had a choice between war and dishonor. You chose dishonor, and you will have war.

Comment

Originally posted by pamak View Post

Everybody who can actually read, can see in your link that both democrats and republicans were in charge during the period mentioned in the article when whites got an advantage in subsidized housing...
                    One republican during that time frame. He actually helped with civil rights:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civi...957#Background

Slavery, segregation, Jim Crowe, and the KKK all are from the democrats.
                    "I don't discuss sitting presidents," Mattis tells NPR in an interview. "I believe that you owe a period of quiet."

Comment

One republican during that time frame. He actually helped with civil rights:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civi...957#Background

One fully controlled Congress and a two term republican president who was the head of the Executive Branch (including of the federal housing programs) is enough to make it clear that the issue of white privilege in federal subsidized housing was not just a Democratic issue.
                      And Democrats also passed the Civil Rights Act. Your point about what Ike did regarding civil rights does not negate the original point.
                      My most dangerous mission: I landed in the middle of an enemy tank battalion and I immediately, started spraying bullets killing everybody around me having fun up until my computer froze...

Comment

Originally posted by pamak View Post

One fully controlled Congress and a two term republican president who was the head of the Executive Branch (including of the federal housing programs) is enough to make it clear that the issue of white privilege in federal subsidized housing was not just a Democratic issue.
                        And Democrats also passed the Civil Rights Act. Your point about what Ike did regarding civil rights does not negate the original point.
                        You're both looking at this through Year 2020 lenses. Read Caro's Years of Lyndon Johnson: Master of the Senate. Regardless of the party holding either the White House or the House of Representatives, regardless of their political sentiments, if the Old Bulls in the Senate -- the Chairmen of the Standing Committees -- didn't like it, it was never going to pass. Prior to LBJ being selected Senate Minority Leader in '54, the 20th century's most powerful Senator was Dick Russell -- and there was no way that any kind of civil rights legislation was going to be enacted, not on his watch. Meanwhile, with the marketing of the mechanical cotton picker and the exodus of black sharecroppers North, both parties' leaders could read the tea leaves: Northern black votes would be essential for any kind of remotely liberal candidate to win the White House. To that end, Johnson and Richard Nixon -- as Vice-President, he was President of the Senate -- were in a fierce competition to be the first to get a real civil rights bill passed, the first in eighty-some years. Johnson was cagier, and he won, with the '57 Voting Rights Act. That took some record-setting horse trading, to say the least, so it should be clear that before the two best vote-counters in US history -- LBJ and Nixon -- had achieved positions of real influence, and real power, all the post-WW2 progressive legislation was going to be watered down to the point of toothlessness, and any kind of bill that could have remotely advantaged blacks likely wouldn't even make it out of committee, regardless of the President's desires, any president. Those Southern Bulls had stymied Truman, and they did much the same to Ike, as well. Indeed, had it not been for Dallas in Nov '63, they would have done it to JFK, as well.
                        Last edited by slick_miester; 10 Jul 20, 15:38. Reason: I can't spell. "D'oh!"

Comment

I guess nothing is able to change after 150 years.

What percentage of the KKK are voting democrats nowadays?

According to what you wrote it must be well above 50%. Here I was thinking Trump was trying to maintain his base of support when in reality he needs to win them over from the Dems.

Comment

Another example of white privilege:

Black men sentenced to more time for committing the exact same crime as a white person, study finds
                            https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...n-study-finds/
                            "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
                            - Benjamin Franklin

The new right wing: hate Muslims, preaches tolerance for Nazis.

Comment

Originally posted by Canuckster View Post
                              Interesting additional comments but for some reason they only showed up when I wanted t quote you.
                              I'd added a lot of stuff after I had edited.

Comment

Originally posted by slick_miester View Post

I'd added a lot of stuff after I had edited.
                                That makes sense since once I go to quote someone it takes me forever to write a response

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X