Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

White Privilege, does it exist in the USA? The answer may not surprise you......

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bow
    replied
    Originally posted by Massena View Post
    Once again, political party before nation. The Soviets and the Nazis did the same thing...
    Just like the Republican Party.....

Leave a comment:

• Nichols
    replied
    Originally posted by pamak View Post

One fully controlled Congress and a two term republican president
    Wrong again.

A fully controlled congress during his first 2 years in office......while he was working on stopping the Korean War. The rest of his time it was a divided congress.

He did send troops down to back up the law..

Try again..

Leave a comment:

• Stonewall_Jack
    replied
    Originally posted by Canuckster View Post

Good stuff! Congrats to Jr.

I coached for a couple of years. It was just house league but we got into a few tilts with you yankees. Lost a few (one badly) and won a few. The hard part in trying to organize those sort of exhibition games for what was essentially a non-travelling team was finding teams of equal ability. Lots of different regions with different regulations on how they can choose their teams, bigger pools of talent from wider areas etc can make a difference. One area may have only one level and another may have 3 different levels for the same age group.

No doubt about it, Americans can put together some wicked players and teams. Second best in the world is pretty good.
    Very interesting. Good for you

That said The Russians are the best hockey players in the world.

Leave a comment:

• Canuckster
    replied
    Originally posted by slick_miester View Post

Speaking of quick, Slick Jr outskated some of your youngsters last fall when they came down here looking for an easy tilt. What they got was the a$$es beat.
    Good stuff! Congrats to Jr.

I coached for a couple of years. It was just house league but we got into a few tilts with you yankees. Lost a few (one badly) and won a few. The hard part in trying to organize those sort of exhibition games for what was essentially a non-travelling team was finding teams of equal ability. Lots of different regions with different regulations on how they can choose their teams, bigger pools of talent from wider areas etc can make a difference. One area may have only one level and another may have 3 different levels for the same age group.

No doubt about it, Americans can put together some wicked players and teams. Second best in the world is pretty good.

Leave a comment:

• slick_miester
    replied

I look forward in seeing an example of that quick-wit!

Speaking of quick, Slick Jr outskated some of your youngsters last fall when they came down here looking for an easy tilt. What they got was the a$$es beat.

Leave a comment:

• Canuckster
    replied

Yeah, Canucks are usually slow thinkers. That's why my ancestors fled south: they were so quick-witted that the backwards Habs branded them witches.
    I look forward in seeing an example of that quick-wit!

Leave a comment:

• slick_miester
    replied

That makes sense since once I go to quote someone it takes me forever to write a response
    Yeah, Canucks are usually slow thinkers. That's why my ancestors fled south: they were so quick-witted that the backwards Habs branded them witches.

Leave a comment:

• Canuckster
    replied

I'd added a lot of stuff after I had edited.
    That makes sense since once I go to quote someone it takes me forever to write a response

Leave a comment:

• slick_miester
    replied
    Interesting additional comments but for some reason they only showed up when I wanted t quote you.
    I'd added a lot of stuff after I had edited.

Leave a comment:

• TactiKill J.
    replied
    Another example of white privilege:

Black men sentenced to more time for committing the exact same crime as a white person, study finds
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...n-study-finds/

Leave a comment:

• Canuckster
    replied
    Originally posted by Nichols View Post
    Slavery, segregation, Jim Crowe, and the KKK all are from the democrats.
    I guess nothing is able to change after 150 years.

What percentage of the KKK are voting democrats nowadays?

According to what you wrote it must be well above 50%. Here I was thinking Trump was trying to maintain his base of support when in reality he needs to win them over from the Dems.

Leave a comment:

• slick_miester
    replied

One fully controlled Congress and a two term republican president who was the head of the Executive Branch (including of the federal housing programs) is enough to make it clear that the issue of white privilege in federal subsidized housing was not just a Democratic issue.
    And Democrats also passed the Civil Rights Act. Your point about what Ike did regarding civil rights does not negate the original point.
    You're both looking at this through Year 2020 lenses. Read Caro's Years of Lyndon Johnson: Master of the Senate. Regardless of the party holding either the White House or the House of Representatives, regardless of their political sentiments, if the Old Bulls in the Senate -- the Chairmen of the Standing Committees -- didn't like it, it was never going to pass. Prior to LBJ being selected Senate Minority Leader in '54, the 20th century's most powerful Senator was Dick Russell -- and there was no way that any kind of civil rights legislation was going to be enacted, not on his watch. Meanwhile, with the marketing of the mechanical cotton picker and the exodus of black sharecroppers North, both parties' leaders could read the tea leaves: Northern black votes would be essential for any kind of remotely liberal candidate to win the White House. To that end, Johnson and Richard Nixon -- as Vice-President, he was President of the Senate -- were in a fierce competition to be the first to get a real civil rights bill passed, the first in eighty-some years. Johnson was cagier, and he won, with the '57 Voting Rights Act. That took some record-setting horse trading, to say the least, so it should be clear that before the two best vote-counters in US history -- LBJ and Nixon -- had achieved positions of real influence, and real power, all the post-WW2 progressive legislation was going to be watered down to the point of toothlessness, and any kind of bill that could have remotely advantaged blacks likely wouldn't even make it out of committee, regardless of the President's desires, any president. Those Southern Bulls had stymied Truman, and they did much the same to Ike, as well. Indeed, had it not been for Dallas in Nov '63, they would have done it to JFK, as well.
    Last edited by slick_miester; 10 Jul 20, 15:38. Reason: I can't spell. "D'oh!"

Leave a comment:

• pamak
    replied
    Originally posted by Nichols View Post

One republican during that time frame. He actually helped with civil rights:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civi...957#Background

One fully controlled Congress and a two term republican president who was the head of the Executive Branch (including of the federal housing programs) is enough to make it clear that the issue of white privilege in federal subsidized housing was not just a Democratic issue.
    And Democrats also passed the Civil Rights Act. Your point about what Ike did regarding civil rights does not negate the original point.

Leave a comment:

• Nichols
    replied

Everybody who can actually read, can see in your link that both democrats and republicans were in charge during the period mentioned in the article when whites got an advantage in subsidized housing...
    One republican during that time frame. He actually helped with civil rights:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civi...957#Background

Leave a comment:

• Cambronnne
    replied
    Originally posted by slick24 View Post
    I was told once that I scored highest on the programming test and scored highest in the interview for a job I was applying for, but they gave the job to a Indian woman because of her sex and race. There was no "white privilege" then.

I was a partner in one mid sized firm and a founding partner in another one.
    Each of them did work for the city of Chicago and a major retailer (think "people of...")
    Each of those entities required that we meet certain quotas of minority attorneys.
    Since black attorneys were in such high demand we were rarely able to pay them enough to stay.
    As a result, we ended up hiring a number of Asian females.
    A single Asian female could count as 2 minorities (1) asian, 2) female)

I always thought it odd because the only stigmas that Asians had to deal with was the belief that they are smarter and harder working than everyone else.

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X