Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are you better off than you were four years ago?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are you better off than you were four years ago?

Are you better off than you were four years ago?
    Yes
    73.33%
    No
    26.67%

The question is: Am I representative of the average citizen in my country?

For that, my answer would be a definite: "No".

Comment

Define "better off".
      Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Ronald Reagan's questions on "Are you better off than four years ago? 1980 Presidential debate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loBe0WXtts8

I voted for President Reagan twice, my only winning presidential votes, but boy I would take Carter or Mondale for that matter over Trump or Biden in a nanosecond.

We have fallen, a long, long, way.

Comment

The purpose of the poll is a very simple binary question, that a reader can choose to answer or not. Not for me to define someone else's better off.

Comment

Ronald Reagan's 1984 re-election question wasn't "are you better off than four years ago", it was "Is America better off than four years ago?" In 1984 the answer was yes. In 2020 the answer is no.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparlingo View Post
              Ronald Reagan's 1984 re-election question wasn't "are you better off than four years ago", it was "Is America better off than four years ago?" In 1984 the answer was yes. In 2020 the answer is no.
              Very interesting, the 1984 question and difference! I never picked up on that (or maybe I forget it in 36 years!)

Comment

Originally posted by lakechampainer View Post

Very interesting, the 1984 question and difference! I never picked up on that (or maybe I forget it in 36 years!)
                Are you asking US citizens this question or is it open for all?

The reason that I ask this is because there are other countries that are no doubt better off now.
                "I don't discuss sitting presidents," Mattis tells NPR in an interview. "I believe that you owe a period of quiet."

Comment

I am asking for everyone, whether US citizen or not.

Comment

It was during the debate with Mondale:

"Now, maybe I'm expected to ask that same question again. I'm not going to, because I think that all of you--or not everyone, those people that are in those pockets of poverty and haven't caught up, they couldn't answer the way I would want them to--but I think that most of the people in this country would say, yes, they are better off than they were 4 years ago.

The question, I think, should be enlarged. Is America better off than it was 4 years ago? And I believe the answer to that has to also be "yes." I promised a new beginning. So far, it is only a beginning. If the job were finished, I might have thought twice about seeking reelection for this job."

Comment

Originally posted by Sparlingo View Post

It was during the debate with Mondale:

"Now, maybe I'm expected to ask that same question again. I'm not going to, because I think that all of you--or not everyone, those people that are in those pockets of poverty and haven't caught up, they couldn't answer the way I would want them to--but I think that most of the people in this country would say, yes, they are better off than they were 4 years ago.

The question, I think, should be enlarged. Is America better off than it was 4 years ago? And I believe the answer to that has to also be "yes." I promised a new beginning. So far, it is only a beginning. If the job were finished, I might have thought twice about seeking reelection for this job."
                      Awesome answer by the Great Communicator.

Comment

The purpose of the poll is a very simple binary question, that a reader can choose to answer or not. Not for me to define someone else's better off.
                        It's your question.
                        Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Not better off and for the first time ever, I have real doubts about America's future.
                          "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
                          - Benjamin Franklin

The new right wing: hate Muslims, preaches tolerance for Nazis.

Comment

Ronald Reagan's questions on "Are you better off than four years ago? 1980 Presidential debate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loBe0WXtts8

I voted for President Reagan twice, my only winning presidential votes, but boy I would take Carter or Mondale for that matter over Trump or Biden in a nanosecond.

We have fallen, a long, long, way.
                            I couldn't have said it any better. You posted what most of us feel.

That said, I will admit I was exceptionally better off prior to the coronavirus. And even though we are in the midst of it, I am still slightly better off than I was 4 years ago under and during the Obama administration.

"Never argue with an idiot. They'll just drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience" George Carlin

Comment

Yeah!
                              Bills/debt mostly paid off and mortgage gradually shrinking. Wife's job promotion has boosted income. May change when she retires in a few years. Limited impact from COVID-19, for now; but expect some long term effects from the shutdowns/lockdowns and business failures they produced will start to show in next few months/years.

Also, reflecting ever changing life, have seen my younger sister and an old friend pass on. But then none of us will escape here alive ....
                              TANSTAAFL = There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X