This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nichols View Post

Historical facts can only be seen as hysterical hyperbole by someone that is uncomfortable with history or doesn't know the history of what is being discussed.

Try again, you have my permission.
    An entire racial group being punished for the sins of a few? That makes absolutely no sense.

Should the descendants of whites that fought and died in the fight against slavery also be punished?
    Where is the historical content there? I can see the hysterical content.

Comment

Originally posted by Jutland View Post

Where is the historical content there? I can see the hysterical content.
      Here is what I posted and you quoted:

An entire racial group being punished for the sins of a few? That makes absolutely no sense.

Should the descendants of whites that fought and died in the fight against slavery also be punished?

The democrat party fought for slavery, birthed the KKK and Jim Crowe laws. If you want to punish someone, that is the organization directly tied with the racial injustices in this country.
      You then pulled in the hysterical content with your Hollywood analogy.

Try again.
      "I don't discuss sitting presidents," Mattis tells NPR in an interview. "I believe that you owe a period of quiet."

Comment

Originally posted by Rutger View Post

Sorry mate: here are the cold hard data. No assumption at all. Neither is it bogus history. Denial of facts.
        percentage slaves by R. Bezoen, on Flickr

Sorry, exactly the type of deflection expected. Typical apologism. "there were black owners, so that makes up for the rest".
        And yes I knew about that so it is great to see what I expected.
        Dig just one step deeper and find the numbers on black owners of black slaves, expecially the ratio. I did because I knew you would come up with that.

Deflection. Again.
        In what way does that have to do with the average 86% of all blacks being enslaved during the first 90 years after independence?

Now, once again, and just please answer the question:
        What good was the independence for the blacks, knowing that on average 86% of all blacks (fact) were slaves during the 90 years after the independence?
        All my facts are deflection yours come from God...I get it.
        I'm not apologizing for slavery, Our nation ended it in 1865. After 600K men died. Get over it
        Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.

Comment

Originally posted by Cambronnne View Post

How much money did Colin take from that shoe company that used to have slave labor make its shoes?
          Weird that he could forgive Nike for being involved with slavery during his lifetime, but can’t forgive the US for something that it ended 150 years ago.
          I guess the $25 million from Nike went a long way towards helping him forgive. Maybe if the US paid Colin $25 million he would find it in his heart to support the 4th of July.
          Now what were you saying about valuing money over life?
          Yes, it is pretty clear he values money, he has not said a peep about Nike and their usage of slaves..

“Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.” -- Albert Einstein

The US Constitution doesn't need to be rewritten it needs to be reread

Comment

Ah, right. As for blacks owning slaves. It also seems to make up for whites owning slaves.

99.5% of all slaves were held by white owners, 0.5% by black owners. Pretty much says it all. "Blacks did it too". Right.

Some elaboration:

100% of the terrorists in the 9/11 attacks that killed about 3000 innocents in the US were muslim.

I recall being lectured for years by the left against blaming all of Islam for those acts of terror.
            Have the rules changed?

Is the fact that "99.5%" of slave owners in the US were white tell us something about whites that remains true forever? Is there some scientific basis for condemning whites based solely on their race? (no)

Why are you only counting slave owners in the US when it was a worldwide phenomenon?

Are you relying on any logic other than racism?
            Avatar is General Gerard, courtesy of Zouave.

Churchill to Chamberlain: you had a choice between war and dishonor. You chose dishonor, and you will have war.

Comment

The democrat party fought for slavery, birthed the KKK and Jim Crowe laws. If you want to punish someone, that is the organization directly tied with the racial injustices in this country.
              Hi Nichols.

This isn't about punishing anyone.Its about re-educating ourselves as to what actually happened and how this still impacts on our day-day interaction with each other.
              I like to think that non of us one here are outright racists but I can well imagine many have been passive. By passive I mean hearing racist language but doing nothing to stop it or highlight it. Beyond the obvious White/Black, I've heard Black people being racist to those from the Indian sub-continent and those from the Far-East being racist towards White people.

As to the descendants, your remark is somewhat strange, as if those descendants have an inherent immunity from being racists. Were 6/7 generations on from the end of the ACW and

I don't care where or who the racists are, be they Democrats or Republicans, Catholics, WASPS, Muslims or Jewish, Black, White, Red, Yellow, Brown or even Martians, as a racist is a racist is a racist.

Regards

Andy H
              "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." Churchill

"I'm no reactionary.Christ on the Mountain! I'm as idealistic as Hell" Eisenhower

Comment

Originally posted by Andy H View Post

Hi Nichols.

This isn't about punishing anyone.Its about re-educating ourselves as to what actually happened and how this still impacts on our day-day interaction with each other.
                I like to think that non of us one here are outright racists but I can well imagine many have been passive. By passive I mean hearing racist language but doing nothing to stop it or highlight it. Beyond the obvious White/Black, I've heard Black people being racist to those from the Indian sub-continent and those from the Far-East being racist towards White people.

As to the descendants, your remark is somewhat strange, as if those descendants have an inherent immunity from being racists. Were 6/7 generations on from the end of the ACW and

I don't care where or who the racists are, be they Democrats or Republicans, Catholics, WASPS, Muslims or Jewish, Black, White, Red, Yellow, Brown or even Martians, as a racist is a racist is a racist.

Regards

Andy H
                Actually some are demanding reparations for the suffering of their ancestors,
                Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.

Comment

The 4th of July was never a celebration "of the independence war," where did you get that from?

The American Revolutionary War was from Apr 19, 1775 to Sep 3, 1783.
                  Bit of nitpicking, ain't it? Independence Day, congrats.

The issue raised (what is there to celebrate for blacks on the 4th of july, knowing that their freedom was denied for another 90 years) is rather more relevant and my question so far has been answered with very obvious deflection, apologism, denial of facts and downplaying, but not a sinhgle straight answer.
                  The answer is obvious: they went from slavery under British rule to slavery under independent American rule.
                  "For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return"

Comment

Originally posted by Cambronnne View Post

100% of the terrorists in the 9/11 attacks that killed about 3000 innocents in the US were muslim.

I recall being lectured for years by the left against blaming all of Islam for those acts of terror.
                    Have the rules changed?

Is the fact that "99.5%" of slave owners in the US were white tell us something about whites that remains true forever? Is there some scientific basis for condemning whites based solely on their race? (no)

Why are you only counting slave owners in the US when it was a worldwide phenomenon?

Are you relying on any logic other than racism?

Is the fact that "99.5%" of slave owners in the US were white tell us something about whites that remains true forever?
                    Utter and total nonsense. Where do I claim that? Show me. Let me tell you : nowhere.

Don't you think that's quite logical, knowing that my question was about blacks celebrating the American Independence?
                    I can't really bring in the black or white slaves in Arabia or Morocco or whatever in a discussion about black slaves under an independent America, can I?

The above two questions and replies could have entirely been avoided if you had followed the entire discussion.

Nowhere am I saying what you apparently so very much would like me to say.
                    Nowhere am I blaming whites or attacking whites. Show me where I am.
                    I'm giving the facts. I love facts.

I raised one question:
                    What have the blacks to celebrate for independence day, knowing full well that 86-90% were enslaved for about 90 years after the date? They went from being slaves under British rule to being slaves under independent American rule.

So far, only deflections, trivializations, fact denial, down-playing and apologism, not a single straight answer.

So, once again:
                    What have the blacks to celebrate for independence day, knowing full well that 86-90% were enslaved for about 90 years after the date? They went from being slaves under British rule to being slaves under independent American rule.
                    "For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return"

Comment

Originally posted by Urban hermit View Post

All my facts are deflection yours come from God...I get it.
                      I'm not apologizing for slavery, Our nation ended it in 1865. After 600K men died. Get over it
                      Well, I am glad you've been able to show why blacks do indeed have very good reasons to celebrate independence day.

Comment

Let's start with the fact that Independence Day has noting to do with slavery, but is about the creation of America itself. Since they still choose to live in America, we can assume that they enjoy the fruits of that creation, including their current liberties and rights.

There are no slaves nor slave owners alive any longer...not for a long time now., but there are a lot of successful black people. Time to move on.

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Utter and total nonsense. Where do I claim that? Show me. Let me tell you : nowhere.

Don't you think that's quite logical, knowing that my question was about blacks celebrating the American Independence?
                          I can't really bring in the black or white slaves in Arabia or Morocco or whatever in a discussion about black slaves under an independent America, can I?

The above two questions and replies could have entirely been avoided if you had followed the entire discussion.

Nowhere am I saying what you apparently so very much would like me to say.
                          Nowhere am I blaming whites or attacking whites. Show me where I am.
                          I'm giving the facts. I love facts.

I raised one question:

So far, only deflections, trivializations, fact denial, down-playing and apologism, not a single straight answer.

So, once again:
                          I didn't deflect anything. I responded to your comment about whites owning slaves.

You said:
                          99.5% of all slaves were held by white owners, 0.5% by black owners. Pretty much says it all. "Blacks did it too". Right.

It is certainly possible that I did not appreciate the context of your statement, but I certainly wasn't deflecting anything when I responded directly to what I thought you were saying.

I don't have a problem with any race denouncing independence day. I may disagree, but they have the absolute right to complain.
                          I do wonder about how much weight I should give to the complaints of a multimillionaire complaining that he is oppressed though.

Colin can condemn anything he wants and take money from anyone he wants, but I have a hard time taking his complaints seriously.

Churchill to Chamberlain: you had a choice between war and dishonor. You chose dishonor, and you will have war.

Comment

Everyone keeps bringing up slavery. I assumed Colin's issue with the fourth was related to the history of America, but turns out I was wrong. After looking at his actual posts, he did not mention slavery. He mentioned American imperialism and militarism. He also mentioned the killing of black and brown people abroad and here at home. A reference to our senseless wars and police brutality. If you're going to push back against his perspective, it would be best to focus on the issues he actually brought up.

Comment

The Walt Disney Company today announced an overall first-look deal with Colin Kaepernick’s production arm Ra Vision Media. The partnership will focus on telling scripted and unscripted stories that explore race, social injustice and the quest for equity, and will provide a new platform to showcase the work of Black and Brown directors and producers. The first-look deal will extend across all Walt Disney Platforms including Walt Disney Television, ESPN, Hulu, Pixar, and The Undefeated. Kaepernick will work closely with The Undefeated, which is expanding its portfolio across Disney, to develop stories from the perspective of Black and Brown communities.
                              https://espnpressroom.com/us/press-r...in-kaepernick/

Comment

The poor man.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X