Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Colin Kaepernick denounces 4th of July

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by Andy H View Post
    Whatever the colour of our skin, were all going to have to revisit the demons of our history, as no one is guilt free or above reproach.
    I'm not really sure about no one being guilt free. Both sides of my family immigrated between 1890 and 1905.

    My wife and oldest daughter immigrated in 1996.

    Not sure how they can or should be held to answer for crimes of the past.
    "I don't discuss sitting presidents," Mattis tells NPR in an interview. "I believe that you owe a period of quiet."

    Comment


    • #32
      Originally posted by Andy H View Post

      Hi Urban hermit

      I'd have to agree.

      There's a real danger that the pendulum he helped move (slightly) from one extreme, will move more violently back and forth with comments such as this. Yes, he could be viewed as factually correct but there's a time and place for each and every discussion. By throwing every injustice into the same boiling pot at the same time, there's a real danger it'll boil over into violent anger (from both sides and we revisit 1861) or utter apathy because were overloaded with guilt or fear and we actually do nothing.

      Whatever the colour of our skin, were all going to have to revisit the demons of our history, as no one is guilt free or above reproach. We need better History education in our classrooms, devoid of intrusion from outside bodies and vexation from often ignorant parents.

      Regards

      Andy H
      Well said Andy. the fear I have is the backlash from the other extremist.
      Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.

      Comment


      • #33
        Originally posted by Nichols View Post

        I'm not really sure about no one being guilt free. Both sides of my family immigrated between 1890 and 1905.

        My wife and oldest daughter immigrated in 1996.

        Not sure how they can or should be held to answer for crimes of the past.
        Skin color is all that matters, the rioters have attack statues of elk in Portland! They tore down statues of famous abolitionist, and eve a monument to the 54th Mass, (a famous regiment of Black Union soldiers) was defaced. This is a mob, they want blood.
        Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by Nichols View Post

          The survey that you list covers 1790 to 1880, yet you dont include 1880, why?

          Slavery no longer existed in 1870 and 1880. List is from Statista 2020 by the way.

          This is the whole graph.

          percentage slaves by R. Bezoen, on Flickr
          "For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return"

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by Rutger View Post
            Slavery no longer existed in 1870 and 1880. List is from Statista 2020 by the way.
            Seems to me the facts match fairly well, slavery ended in 1865 via a bloody civil war that was fought by the government.

            Originally posted by Rutger View Post
            Seems to me the facts match fairly well, and the independence really didn't set the blacks free.
            But maybe someone can explain what good the blacks did get from independence.
            The rest of the facts are that one group of people brought on the KKK, Jim Crowe and other laws that caused the racial problems. It's about time that that group of people be held accountable.
            "I don't discuss sitting presidents," Mattis tells NPR in an interview. "I believe that you owe a period of quiet."

            Comment


            • #36
              Originally posted by Urban hermit View Post

              Skin color is all that matters
              "I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character."

              "I don't discuss sitting presidents," Mattis tells NPR in an interview. "I believe that you owe a period of quiet."

              Comment


              • #37
                You people have no clue how much Kaepernick is admired among non-whites. The upcoming sporting events will show everyone how much he is revered. Every sport will have players kneeling before the game. It's just a matter of how many will participate..
                "Never argue with an idiot. They'll just drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience" George Carlin

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by Reimnitz View Post
                  You people have no clue how much Kaepernick is admired among non-whites. The upcoming sporting events will show everyone how much he is revered. Every sport will have players kneeling before the game. It's just a matter of how many will participate..

                  Any nonwhite that admired him after saying this should pack their bags and move out.
                  Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    So much for free speech. Lick my boots or leave.

                    I don't know if admire is the right word, but I certainly respect Kap for speaking the truth.
                    "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
                    - Benjamin Franklin

                    The new right wing: hate Muslims, preaches tolerance for Nazis.

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      One man's truth is another man's blasphemy. Guys, think what you want, but this kind of a thread offends me. I don't see Kap's Mother being proud of this kind of stuff.

                      Pruitt
                      Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

                      Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

                      by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Originally posted by TactiKill J. View Post

                        How is Colin punishing you by not celebrating the 4th? He's not stopping you from enjoying it.

                        After reading the rest of Colin's posts, his issue isn't just with slavery or the past. He was speaking on modern day imperialism as well. So to paraphrase what he said, there's a lot more you have to answer for than just slavery and it's just as much about the present as it is the past.
                        Guess what?
                        I have nothing to answer for except what I have done or failed to do.
                        I am no more responsible for the sin of slavery because some long dead white people did it, than the average black man is guilty of crimes committed by black gang members.

                        Your entire argument is based on the concept of collective guilt which is precisely the same logic used in racism.
                        This may surprise you, but I’ve never owned a slave, nor have I done anything to endorse or support slavery. (Except buying shoes from Nike. You know the company that our hero Colin works for). Nike has far more direct, modern ties to slavery than I ever will. But Colin forgave them after he sold his soul. Yeah, lets take advice from former quarterbacks

                        Anyway, You can’t point to any actual acts on my part to support slavery. As a result, I cannot be condemned for it.
                        Relying (ironically) on your own prejudices, doesn’t prove my guilt.
                        Avatar is General Gerard, courtesy of Zouave.

                        Churchill to Chamberlain: you had a choice between war and dishonor. You chose dishonor, and you will have war.

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Originally posted by Cambronnne View Post

                          Guess what?
                          I have nothing to answer for except what I have done or failed to do.
                          I am no more responsible for the sin of slavery because some long dead white people did it, than the average black man is guilty of crimes committed by black gang members.

                          Your entire argument is based on the concept of collective guilt which is precisely the same logic used in racism.
                          This may surprise you, but I’ve never owned a slave, nor have I done anything to endorse or support slavery. (Except buying shoes from Nike. You know the company that our hero Colin works for). Nike has far more direct, modern ties to slavery than I ever will. But Colin forgave them after he sold his soul. Yeah, lets take advice from former quarterbacks

                          Anyway, You can’t point to any actual acts on my part to support slavery. As a result, I cannot be condemned for it.
                          Relying (ironically) on your own prejudices, doesn’t prove my guilt.
                          BRAVO!!!!!
                          Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Originally posted by TactiKill J. View Post
                            So much for free speech. Lick my boots or leave.

                            I don't know if admire is the right word, but I certainly respect Kap for speaking the truth.
                            If it is so unbearable here, do what millions of people do every year, become an immigrant.
                            Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Originally posted by Urban hermit View Post

                              If it is so unbearable here, do what millions of people do every year, become an immigrant.
                              In Kap's case he wants to fight for his home and make it a better place. Nothing wrong with that.
                              "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
                              - Benjamin Franklin

                              The new right wing: hate Muslims, preaches tolerance for Nazis.

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                What exactly good did the independence revolution bring about for the blacks?

                                I just listed appr. 90 years from 1776 of slavery for about 90% of all blacks in the USA, followed by appr. 100 years of segregation.

                                British slavery before, American slavery and segregation after.

                                So once again:
                                What exactly good did the independence revolution bring about for the blacks? What should they be celebrating?

                                Doesn't sound like an unfair question to me.

                                I'd like a decent answer, not some deflection or rant.

                                By the 1760s, however, as the colonists began to speak out against British tyranny, more Americans pointed out the obvious contradiction between advocating liberty and owning slaves. In 1774 Abigail Adams wrote, “it always appeared a most iniquitious scheme to me to fight ourselves for what we are daily robbing and plundering from those who have as good a right to freedom as we have.”
                                "For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return"

                                Comment

                                Latest Topics

                                Collapse

                                Working...
                                X