This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by slick_miester View Post

With the exception of WW2, were we ever truly united? Before Oct 1777 -- the Battle of Saratoga -- did the patriot cause enjoy more than 1/3 support from Americans? In the 1860s, the North was rife with Copperheads, and the South with Unionists. During WW1 Pres Wilson so feared backlash from Irish and German immigrants and their descendants that he signed into law the Sedition Act. Indeed, it took Japan's attack on Pearl Harbor to silence once and for all the German Bundists and America First. You were around in the '60s: "Bombingham" . . . . Chaney Schwerner Goodman . . . . Vietnam . . . . race riots in LA, Newark, New Haven . . . . The Chicago Seven . . . . The Minutemen . . . . The Weather Underground . . . . Black Panthers taking over the Statehouse in Sacramento . . . . "Tune In, Turn On, Drop Out" . . . . George Wallace.... Are we really more disunited now than we were fifty-some years ago? Naturally I wasn't there, witness to many of these events, but I've got to say, we're were a lot more disunited then than we are now.

That's my take, at any rate.
    Speaking of that 60-70s stuff, we had a recent POTUS whom is friends with one of those Weather Underground bombers, talk about getting united.

Oh wait, that POTUS denied such once he was in office, just like the 20 years worth of sermons he never "heard" at the church he regularly attended.
    TANSTAAFL = There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch
    “War is merely the continuation of politics by other means” - von Clausewitz
    Present Current Events are the Future's History

Comment

• Originally posted by American87 View Post

Will I get jumped or lose my job?
      I don't care, I imagine you hear that a lot.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jutland View Post

I don't care, I imagine you hear that a lot.
        I think yes, not that you care.
        "It is a fine fox chase, my boys"

"It is well that war is so terrible-we would grow too fond of it"

Comment

• Nuff said:

https://youtu.be/N_lCmBvYMRs
          "I don't discuss sitting presidents," Mattis tells NPR in an interview. "I believe that you owe a period of quiet."

Comment

• Originally posted by Nichols View Post
            The way it should be sung, with love and feeling

The whole idea of a 2nd one for others is totally ridiculous. We need to reunite not further divide. A total askhole idea
            "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

• Originally posted by G David Bock View Post

Speaking of that 60-70s stuff, we had a recent POTUS whom is friends with one of those Weather Underground bombers, talk about getting united.

Oh wait, that POTUS denied such once he was in office, just like the 20 years worth of sermons he never "heard" at the church he regularly attended.
              Guess it all evens out in the end: his successor is trying to impersonate Theodore Bilbo and "Bull" Connor daily.
              I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

Guess it all evens out in the end: his successor is trying to impersonate Theodore Bilbo and "Bull" Connor daily.
                I read BHO's first two books.

In the first, "Dreams From My Father" he mentions having been advised he'd need to get involved in a church where he was "community organizing" to get a foundation of support with locals to build his political career. Towards the end of that book he mentions having found the church of Rev. Wright, chosen this as "the one", and how one of the first sermons he heard was so inspiring; "The Audacity of Hope"....

Guess the title of BHO's second book ?

Meanwhile, once elected POTUS and flak about Rev. Wright starts to make the press/MSM, suddenly the church of nearly 20 years regular attendance is one where he seldom listened to nor remembers the sermons ...

Not that BHO ever lied or spun a few whoppers ...

Comment

• Most all presidents have lied about attending church and their religious beliefs in order to appeal to Christian voters.

Comment

• Originally posted by BELGRAVE View Post

Missed me. Isn't the only colour mentioned 'The Rockets' Red Glare " ?
                    You missed the verse about killing slaves.

Comment

• Originally posted by TactiKill J. View Post

Some may have missed on usage of American English, translation, and/or interpretation ...

Only use of the word(term) slave is in the third verse;
                      And where is that band who so vauntingly swore
                      That the havoc of war and the battle's confusion,
                      A home and a country, should leave us no more?
                      Their blood has washed out their foul footsteps' pollution.
                      No refuge could save the hireling and slave
                      From the terror of flight, or the gloom of the grave:
                      And the star-spangled banner in triumph doth wave,
                      O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave.

That fifth line down has been explained ...
                      Absent elaboration by Francis Scott Key prior to his death in 1843, some have speculated more recently about the meaning of phrases or verses, particularly the phrase "the hireling and slave" from the third stanza. According to British historian Robin Blackburn, the phrase allude to the thousands of ex-slaves in the British ranks organized as the Corps of Colonial Marines, who had been liberated by the British and demanded to be placed in the battle line "where they might expect to meet their former masters."[10] Mark Clague, a professor of musicology at the University of Michigan, argues that the "middle two verses of Key's lyric vilify the British enemy in the War of 1812" and "in no way glorifies or celebrates slavery."[11] Clague writes that "For Key ... the British mercenaries were scoundrels and the Colonial Marines were traitors who threatened to spark a national insurrection."[11] This harshly anti-British nature of Verse 3 led to its omission in sheet music in World War I, when the British and the U.S. were allies.[11] Responding to the assertion of writer Jon Schwarz of The Intercept that the song is a "celebration of slavery,"[12]Clague said that: "The reference to slaves is about the use and in some sense the manipulation, of black Americans to fight for the British, with the promise of freedom. The American forces included African-Americans as well as whites. The term 'freemen,' whose heroism is celebrated in the fourth stanza, would have encompassed both."[13]

Others suggest that "Key may have intended the phrase as a reference to the British Navy's practice of impressment (kidnapping sailors and forcing them to fight in defense of the crown), or as a semi-metaphorical slap at the British invading force as a whole (which also included a large number of mercenaries)."
                      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Star-Spangled_Banner

Red highlight my doing.

Comment

• So what happens when white players take a knee during the black national anthem?
                        Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.

Comment

• Originally posted by TactiKill J. View Post

There is no verse about "killing slaves"
                          "I don't discuss sitting presidents," Mattis tells NPR in an interview. "I believe that you owe a period of quiet."

Comment

• Originally posted by Nichols View Post

There is no verse about "killing slaves"
                            There was, as originally written by Francis Scott Key, but no one has sung it in decades. I didn't even know that it had existed until I looked it up just a couple of weeks ago. I have to assume that few people know about the additional verses at all.

Comment

• Originally posted by Urban hermit View Post
                              So what happens when white players take a knee during the black national anthem?
                              Turnabout is fair play . . . .

Comment

Turnabout is fair play . . . .
                                Think it will treated fairly? Really?

A couple of years ago, black players in the NFL wanted to decorate their helmets to honor leo's killed in line of duty. The NFL refused permission.

Now, the black players want BLM on their helmets, and the NFL approved it.

This never been about "fair play" and it never will be. It has always been about self-proclaimed victimhood - real hard to do when you make millions per year - and the subsequent "entitlement".

"White privilege"? Where?
                                Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X