This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trump Does it Again...

...in a move reminiscent of his comments on Charlottesville in 2017. Bunker Boy is a rube.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...?ocid=msedgdhp

President Donald Trump on Sunday widely shared a video he said is from the Villages, a community in Florida, in which a man driving a golf cart with Trump campaign posters is seen chanting "white power."

The President retweeted the video that showed the community's Trump supporters and anti-Trump protesters arguing with one another. The President thanked the "great people" shown in the video.

"Thank you to the great people of The Villages. The Radical Left Do Nothing Democrats will Fall in the Fall. Corrupt Joe is shot. See you soon!!" he wrote in the tweet.

CNN has reached out to the White House for comment.
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
    Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
    To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

Originally posted by Massena View Post
    ...in a move reminiscent of his comments on Charlottesville in 2017.
    Agree, this looks exactly how CNN twisted the story in 2017.

"I don't discuss sitting presidents," Mattis tells NPR in an interview. "I believe that you owe a period of quiet."

Comment

The story wasn't 'twisted' in 2017-the news media, including CNN, got it right. All you have to do is to listen to what Trump said himself.

Of course, if all you want to do is defend Trump no matter what, then you won't accept anything that goes contrary to your mistaken beliefs.
      Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts

Comment

Lol
        We hunt the hunters

Comment

To re-use a comment by Steve Bannon from back in 2018, on Trump and Twitter: Trump is out to "flood the zone with [crap]". It detracts from what he is actually doing.

It is however interesting to note, as a relative shifting of what he permits himself, that by now he has worked himself all the way to approvingly posting clips of White Power eejits, and that is the new normal in the US. (In some way oddly reminiscent of the old perhaps – unless Trump this way is actually increasingly badly out of step with the nation he purports to lead? We'll see...)

Comment

Originally posted by Massena View Post
            The story wasn't 'twisted' in 2017-the news media, including CNN, got it right. All you have to do is to listen to what Trump said himself.
            This should be easy then. Provide a link to a video that shows Trump saying that neo nazis and white supremacists are some good people.

If you are going to post a video of him talking
            talking about the two groups that were demonstrating at the statue; provide an unedited version.
            "I don't discuss sitting presidents," Mattis tells NPR in an interview. "I believe that you owe a period of quiet."

Comment

White supremacists from stormfront said in 2016, "he's one of us". No surprise here. Trump has and will continue to bring out the worst in identity politics.

Comment

It tends to boil down to whether when Trump refers to White Nationalists – and condemns them – that label conceptually covers the same group of White Nationalists that others are referring to.

The suspicion about Trump is always that he is exempting what in other circumstances would be labeled as White Nationalist from that label.

And the suspicion is there because he tends to make an equivalence argument, that de facto ends to up considering protesters against thing like racism, and white suprematists, as conflicting opinions of somehow equivalent factional special interests. He probably really things of them as such for all we know.

Comment

Originally posted by Nichols View Post

This should be easy then. Provide a link to a video that shows Trump saying that neo nazis and white supremacists are some good people.

If you are going to post a video of him talking
                  talking about the two groups that were demonstrating at the statue; provide an unedited version.
                  This kind of things is easy to find:
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmaZR8E12bs

The full transcript is probably more like what you demand though:
                  https://www.politifact.com/article/2...sides-remarks/

Comment

Originally posted by Johan Banér View Post
                    This kind of things is easy to find:
                    Agree, very easy to find if you dont fall for the left's attempt at manipulation:

https://youtu.be/NM6k8uNAQBA

Comment

To re-use a comment by Steve Bannon from back in 2018, on Trump and Twitter: Trump is out to "flood the zone with [crap]". It detracts from what he is actually doing.

It is however interesting to note, as a relative shifting of what he permits himself, that by now he has worked himself all the way to approvingly posting clips of White Power eejits, and that is the new normal in the US. (In some way oddly reminiscent of the old perhaps – unless Trump this way is actually increasingly badly out of step with the nation he purports to lead? We'll see...)
                      You have to draw the line somewhere though. For the president to repost a video of someone chanting "white power" is indefensible and dangerous. This goes beyond distracting from his performance.

Comment

It is his 'performance'...or the lack of it.

Comment

OP video is a bunch of elders yelling at each other...at least no violence
                          Long live the Lionheart! Please watch this video
                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=jRDwlR4zbEM
                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3DBaY0RsxU
                          Accept the challenges so that you can feel the exhilaration of victory.

George S Patton

Comment

You talked again before about Bannon's view of how identity politics have helped Trump win. I hate Bannon but his opinion about identity politics may still be correct. Personally, I have not invested much time to acquire the relevant knowledge and develop the skill of making insightful predictions of political outcomes. So, I hesitate to evaluate the effectiveness of different political strategies.

I still think though that the issue of identity politics may have another aspect similar to a more familiar to me military strategy That is we have seen how it can backfire when people prepare to fight the next war based on their past experience. To m the crucial issue is participation rate. Perhaps a strategy based on "us vs them" worked when the "them" targeted illegal non-citizen "getting our jobs", but I am not sure if the result will be the same if the identity issue becomes a "white vs black."

And considering that the Black vote is especially affected by low participation rates (including in 2016 when Clinton could not energize the Black population as Obama did), a narrative of identity politics of "Black vs White" may not give Trump the victory that Bannon sees as inevitable. And it can even be the Democrats those who can try to shape a narrative of "Black vs White." If it is not too broad and it is "Black vs older reactionary and resistant to change Whites," then it may help them win that election based on such identity poltiics.
                            Last edited by pamak; 28 Jun 20, 16:14.
                            My most dangerous mission: I landed in the middle of an enemy tank battalion and I immediately, started spraying bullets killing everybody around me having fun up until my computer froze...

Comment

More on the offensive tweet and Trump's response:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/28/polit...wer/index.html

On Sunday morning -- before making the 271st visit to one of his golf courses during his presidency -- Donald Trump retweeted a video he said is from the Villages, a retirement community in Florida, in which a man driving a golf cart with Trump campaign posters is seen and heard yelling "white power."

"Thank you to the great people of The Villages," wrote Trump in the since-deleted tweet.
                              So, yeah.
                              Amid immediate condemnation of the tweet -- including by Sen. Tim Scott, the lone black Republican in the Senate -- the tweet was deleted and this explanation was offered by deputy White House press secretary Judd Deere: "President Trump is a big fan of the Villages. He did not hear the one statement made on the video. What he did see was tremendous enthusiasm from his many supporters."If you believe that, I've got a burgeoning video rental business called Blockbuster that you might be interested in.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X